Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Feature To Show That Dev's Have Viewed The Topic

chuuburg

There are tons and tons of suggestion and feedback topics being made daily, however many players may be discouraged from posting theirs because they feel that the topic might not be viewed by the Dev team.

I myself is discouraged to make new threads because there are so many threads being created daily and most threads just gets washed away within a couple of hours.

Suggestion:

Small "read" box below the post to show that the Dev's have read it.

Eg. some forums have this "Like" function where users can click on it and the post will show how many people liked the post, it could be done this way but only applicable for the Dev/Mod team.

Think of it as the current thumbs up/down feature but showing the Dev's nick as well.

Some sort like this, lZlGuXN.jpg

This way players will be encouraged to post more suggestions and feedbacks because they can tell if their threads are being read by the Dev team.

EDIT:

After yesterday's live stream, it is quite evident now that many of the threads do not get read.

Im pretty sure the Devs are busy doing work instead of looking at the forums.

With that being said, during the livestream, Scott was talking about the Ember buffs that were constantly being called for, but then he said "all we are hearing is ember needs buff, but no one really specified what needs to be improved".

Anyone who frequents the forums would know that there might have been over 50 threads of skills and frames that needs improving.

Ember and Ash is probably in the majority of those threads

Edited by chuuburg

I don't know.
Nice idea, I guess.

I know for a fact that the devs read most threads though, Rebecca's like, everywhere, usually answering only simple questions that she can answer precisely without needing to consult with the entire staff.

Well good ideas, but I think "posted/responded" and "signed as viewed" are separate matters as the DEVs do not always reply to threads, but im sure they do view them, just need to know which ones have already been viewed.

Edited by chuuburg

Definitely would be cool to know that your feedback's been read through. I do worry that this will create a whole host of people making new topics or PMing DE to ask why their thread hadn't been read yet, though. =/

After yesterday's live stream, it is quite evident now that many of the threads do not get read.

With that being said, during the livestream, Scott was talking about the Ember buffs that were constantly being called for, but then he said "all we are hearing is ember needs buff, but no one really specified what needs to be improved".

Anyone who frequents the forums would know that there might have been over 50 threads of skills and frames that needs improving.

"Would love this, on list :)!"-DE_Rebecca

Edited by Nuntium

This forum gets read a lot more by the devs than you would expect. Props to the devs for this, really. DE has proven time and again they care about what their playerbase has to say and take great interest in it. I don't however think a 'this thread has been read by a dev' icon means much as threads are always getting new content and the behavior (excuse the pun) seems a bit stalkerish.  If a thread gets enough attention from other users it will undoubtedly be read by at least one dev, and the devs clearly point out interesting ideas to each-other(as mentioned in several live-streams). Rebecca even started the community hot-topics subforum to help the dev team address things the players are raving about. I personally feel this is sufficient as too much time spent acknowledging and replying to the forums which... are insanely active- takes away from both reading the rest of the forums and working on warframe.

if however, it were implemented to be 'automagically' marked as 'read by DE' this would perhaps make my argument- for the most part- moot.

Just my two cents. =^_^=

Edited by AnalogAnomaly

This forum gets read a lot more by the devs than you would expect. Props to the devs for this, really. DE has proven time and again they care about what their playerbase has to say and take great interest in it. I don't however think a 'this thread has been read by a dev' icon means much as threads are always getting new content and the behavior (excuse the pun) seems a bit stalkerish.  If a thread gets enough attention from other users it will undoubtedly be read by at least one dev, and the devs clearly point out interesting ideas to each-other(as mentioned in several live-streams). Rebecca even started the community hot-topics subforum to help the dev team address things the players are raving about. I personally feel this is sufficient as too much time spent acknowledging and replying to the forums which... are insanely active- takes away from both reading the rest of the forums and working on warframe.

if however, it were implemented to be 'automagically' marked as 'read by DE' this would perhaps make my argument- for the most part- moot.

Just my two cents. =^_^=

Pls read my previous posts on what Scott said during the Livestream.

What you said doesnt explain why Scott said "We hear ember needs to be improved, we dont know what to improve because no one has pointed out what needs improving" when there have already been overwheming amount of threads on Ember and how to improve her.

Also pls note the player base on the game is 24hours, so what if a thread comes from Asia and is at 3am in DE's timezone ?

By the time DE goes to work In 5 hours time the thread might probably be gone, but who knows maybe they have some crazy all nighters.

Thats exactly why im suggesting this, so people know whether they need to needlessly bump up a thread again and again.

It would be great whether automated or not, but how long does it take to click a "Like" button ? 2 seconds maybe.

Edited by chuuburg

Pls read my previous posts on what Scott said during the Livestream.

What you said doesnt explain why Scott said "We hear ember needs to be improved, we dont know what to improve because no one has pointed out what needs improving" when there have already been overwheming amount of threads on Ember and how to improve her.

I'm sure scott, whom has been known to say some odd things, is well aware that the forum is searchable, and last time i searched for 'ember suggestions' it turned up 121 results. In a previous live-stream he mentioned the grinders, and low-and-behold they were patched (for the umpteenth time) shortly thereafter. Sure you still can't shoot them while they're on the core in a granieer defense unless you take them from an odd angle. If DE knows there's a problem and wants to find user feedback it only takes a few moments to do so. I feel that this invalidates your argument on this front.

Also pls note the player base on the game is 24hours, so what if a thread comes from Asia and is at 3am in DE's timezone ?

By the time DE goes to work In 5 hours time the thread might probably be gone, but who knows maybe they have some crazy all nighters.

Thats exactly why im suggesting this, so people know whether they need to needlessly bump up a thread again and again.

Precisely because the playerbase is on the game 24 hours a day, and the forums. If a thread is started at 3am in DE's timezone, whether they have someone on or not- if the playerbase deems it of interest or important it will be responded to and kept on the first page long enough to be seen by a dev, and it will even become a 'hot' topic which DE pays close attention to. This system is plenty adequate and serves the purpose of helping prioritize issues.

It would be great whether automated or not, but how long does it take to click a "Like" button ? 2 seconds maybe.

Probably about as long as it takes to type out "please" instead of "pls", which you don't seem to think is worth the effort, why should the devs? especially when it adds up so quickly. They're obviously working hard, and their efforts are appreciated- but I don't think the kind of close scrutiny you want is beneficial in any way shape or form.

I think with this he means a single consolidated list explanation. He/they do not need to read 4000 posts for 4 lines of appropriate info amongst the 3996 "Waaaaa butthurtwaaa"

Also as a general note, I am actually against some type of mod wuz here kind of thing. It would be just one more thing for epeen measuring and whining. I have read a few posts (one I remember clearly) that basically complained that DE never replied to any of his threads. We know they read our message, they respond every 2 weeks in LS and many posts in between  When you add requirements that do not contribute to primary goals you actually end up being detrimental to those goals, like update 8,9,10 etc/

Edited by crow-k

I'm sure scott, whom has been known to say some odd things, is well aware that the forum is searchable, and last time i searched for 'ember suggestions' it turned up 121 results. In a previous live-stream he mentioned the grinders, and low-and-behold they were patched (for the umpteenth time) shortly thereafter. Sure you still can't shoot them while they're on the core in a granieer defense unless you take them from an odd angle. If DE knows there's a problem and wants to find user feedback it only takes a few moments to do so. I feel that this invalidates your argument on this front.

Precisely because the playerbase is on the game 24 hours a day, and the forums. If a thread is started at 3am in DE's timezone, whether they have someone on or not- if the playerbase deems it of interest or important it will be responded to and kept on the first page long enough to be seen by a dev, and it will even become a 'hot' topic which DE pays close attention to. This system is plenty adequate and serves the purpose of helping prioritize issues.

Probably about as long as it takes to type out "please" instead of "pls", which you don't seem to think is worth the effort, why should the devs? especially when it adds up so quickly. They're obviously working hard, and their efforts are appreciated- but I don't think the kind of close scrutiny you want is beneficial in any way shape or form.

The last thing anyone wants to do is to search the forums for 500 QQ threads on Ember not knowing when to start.

I remembered back when I started out Warframe 3 months ago, there were frequent good feedback threads on all the Warframe skills and how to improve them.

Maybe you werent around during close beta, but the community was small and there were frequent decent feedbacks and 90% less of the QQ you see in forums today, and yes there have been Ember feedback threads since then.

Majority of the player base interest =/= good of the game.

Players see no interest in the many minor issues that will improve the game, mostly selfish reasons.

They want their rhinos to do aoe damage like banshee or they want their saryn to be able to tank like rhino, they want to get free/earn plat through the game, they want to change the alert system so they will never miss a good alert again.

What about threads like "Handspring shouldnt be a mod", "Sprint toggle", "cross hair visibility" and "improving block".

These are more legit than any other threads created but are all washed up to page 3-5 in gameplay feedback.

Plus immediately upon seeing WOT many players will click on X, I admit I am one of them but does that mean the thread content is full of crap ? probably the exact opposite.

Look at the number of threads being created daily.

Today's threads almost never make it to the day after tomorrow's front page, just click on General Discussions and see how many threads are dated "Today" and "Yesterday".

Infact in General Discussions, only 3/19 threads are not dated "Today" and "Yesterday". Warframe feedback, 5/19 threads. Gameplay feedback 8/19.

Majority of those are only the OP bumping up his own threads, so when does he know to stop doing it, til the day DE decides to implement his changes ?

What if DE thinks it is a bad idea and doesnt bother with it, how will he know ?

You are telling me that for 4 months there has never been one good thread on Ember feedback ? Sure thing then :)

I can tell you right now whats wrong with ember after seeing a few feedback threads, continuity still doesnt work with fire blast and WOF. WOF needs more damage and duration.

Mind you, I could type, pls, please or pl34s3 if I wanted to every time I used the word and it wouldnt make any difference.

I dont think you have any idea what it means to be a game developer, if it was that easy and free of a job that they can read the forums all day U8 would have already been out.

You think patches are released on specific dates due to auspicious dates dont you, but no they are probably hard at work on it daily which is why they themselves are still unsure exactly when it will be out.

I personally have done small scale game development and it was stressful as hell trying to meet deadlines, not to mention the constant errors you get while coding.

Plus many of them have lives, families, hobbies and other commitments, I doubt anyone of them have more than an hour to read the forums a day.

"The last thing anyone wants to do is to search the forums for 500 QQ threads on Ember not knowing when to start."

Using relevant search terms makes finding things extremely easy. If you want a pie from a bakery nearby you don't google pie, you google "Bakery near Boston, MA" in much the same manner- when you're looking for feedback about Ember, you don't forum search "Ember", you forum search "ember suggestions"  or something similar which will turn up QQing sure, but searching also for 'suggestions' will include player feedback and GASP suggestions on how to improve those abilities. Quite simply, if you want to find something specific you search for it- you don't wait for it to just magicly fall into your lap.

----

"Maybe you werent around during close beta, but the community was small and there were frequent decent feedbacks and 90% less of the QQ you see in forums today"

I've got my Lato Vandal from Closed Beta thank you, just because I wasn't active on the forums doesn't mean I wasn't around. =) Your 'I was here first' elitist attitude literally means nothing to me and does not make your opinions carry any more weight than mine, or the guy who just installed warframe 5 minutes ago and found the tutorial somewhat lacking.

----

"Majority of the player base interest =/= good of the game."

This is for the most part true, in fact- your desire to track which threads have and have not been viewed by devs really doesn't help the game at all now does it? It seems to exist to satisfy some voyeuristic desire and generally won't improve anything... at all- in any way shape or form. Which is why i disapprove of it in the first place.

----

"What if DE thinks it is a bad idea and doesnt bother with it, how will he know ?"

Wait just a minute, did you not just get done saying that DE doesn't have time to read all of the posts? What makes you think it's acceptable to expect them to reply to all of them? I certainly don't. I may have already mentioned this- but the hot topics sub-forum exists for the sole purpose of allowing DE to address the things a lot of people are talking about here on the forums, and what they plan or don't plan on doing about it. It's creation was widely praised by the community and I still think Rebecca did a great thing simply by creating it. It serves this purpose well enough.

----

"I dont think you have any idea what it means to be a game developer, if it was that easy and free of a job that they can read the forums all day U8 would have already been out."

Well, so that you know- I've worked in graphic design and coding for a small handful of game developers as 'side jobs'. So yes, I do know what it means to be a game developer.  And while it's not my primary job title as I work in IT these days, I do have experience in Graphic Design, UI Design, Model design, Texturing, Rigging, Level Design, Core Logic coding, Scripted Event Coding, and specialize in network code, debugging, and things like sanity checking. I also have a history with competitive gaming and with Game Service Providers, as well as gaming communities as a Community Liaison, Bans Administrator, GM, and a whole slew of other gaming related titles. I do however have my suspicions about you- I will instead of throwing accusations at someone I don't know from Adam's house cat- be nice and keep them to myself.

----

"You are telling me that for 4 months there has never been one good thread on Ember feedback ? Sure thing then :)"

When and where did I ever say this? I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth. Especially when I've already stated things to the contrary of what you're trying to make it seem that I've said.

----

"I can tell you right now whats wrong with ember after seeing a few feedback threads, continuity still doesnt work with fire blast and WOF. WOF needs more damage and duration."

Well thank you sir for proving my initial point that searching the forums for "ember suggestions" will quickly and easily turn up threads that explain what is wrong with ember and how it can be fixed thus further invalidating one of your previous points that you keep dwelling on.

-----

"You think patches are released on specific dates due to auspicious dates dont you, but no they are probably hard at work on it daily which is why they themselves are still unsure exactly when it will be out."

Again you're being awfully presumptuous here and proverbially putting words in my mouth. This is a bad habit that I'm afraid just plain does not reflect well on you. I'm fairly certain I've not mentioned anything at all about my views on the timing of patch releases. On this topic- I have to wonder if you even know what an SVN is, since you mentioned prior experience in game dev.

----

"Plus immediately upon seeing WOT many players will click on X, I admit I am one of them but does that mean the thread content is full of crap ? probably the exact opposite.
"

I'm not even sure what you're on about here.

----

"Plus many of them have lives, families, hobbies and other commitments, I doubt anyone of them have more than an hour to read the forums a day."

And you want to further infringe on that time and their personal lives for what purpose again?

----

"Mind you, I could type, pls, please or pl34s3 if I wanted to every time I used the word and it wouldnt make any difference."

You can, and feel free to do so. It will however make a difference in how you are perceived by others. I suggest that you be mindful of how that reflects on you to those reading your posts and how the hypocrisy of doing so while asking someone else to spend an extra couple of seconds on something that is of no real benefit is both mildly humorous- and quite sad.

----

Okay, I could keep going picking your reply apart- but I think i've more than made my point here and you've helped invalidate some of your own points. Thank you for that.

Please, before you reply go through my previous post and this one. Locate points of contention- and address them with your own views and evidence to back up your views. This will facilitate progression with this discussion as well as helping others understand your viewpoint and the reasoning behind it. You've ALMOST done this once by pointing out that threads do not often stay on the front page very long. I have however countered this point by bringing up 'hot topic' markers and the 'community hot topics' subforum as well as asking how a 'this thread has been viewed by a moderator' icon will actually change anything.

You also brought up empty threads being bumpped by the OP. Franky, I've not seen this- not once. Maybe I'm just missing it entirely? I would love to see a list of current examples.

Edited by AnalogAnomaly

Using relevant search terms makes finding things extremely easy. If you want a pie from a bakery nearby you don't google pie, you google "Bakery near Boston, MA" in much the same manner- when you're looking for feedback about Ember, you don't forum search "Ember", you forum search "ember suggestions"  or something similar which will turn up QQing sure, but searching also for 'suggestions' will include player feedback and GASP suggestions on how to improve those abilities. Quite simply, if you want to find something specific you search for it- you don't wait for it to just magicly fall into your lap.

1) Thank you for the self pwn no.1

So why is Scott still saying "we dont know whats wrong with Ember" if its that easy.

Oh you mean the devs have no clue how to use the forums, why are you insulting them when they are hard at work ?

All im saying is that they are busy people and do not have much time to read the forums, yet you still think they spend majority of their time on the forums and have no clue that there is a search function.

This is for the most part true, in fact- your desire to track which threads have and have not been viewed by devs really doesn't help the game at all now does it? It seems to exist to satisfy some voyeuristic desire and generally won't improve anything... at all- in any way shape or form. Which is why i disapprove of it in the first place.

2) Doesnt help the game, uhhh feedbacks are supposed to help the game?

If a thread on "How to improve Ember" has been read, then we know the Devs have a clue where to start with.

But wait according to you we should start an Ember thread every 2 days so the Devs may or may not see it.

Are we even on the same page here, no im seriously confused by your irrelevant posts.

Somehow you seem to think my suggestion involves something sexual that includes installing a CCTV in the Dev's homes and offices where players can view what they do on their daily lives.

Wait just a minute, did you not just get done saying that DE doesn't have time to read all of the posts? What makes you think it's acceptable to expect them to reply to all of them? I certainly don't. I may have already mentioned this- but the hot topics sub-forum exists for the sole purpose of allowing DE to address the things a lot of people are talking about here on the forums, and what they plan or don't plan on doing about it. It's creation was widely praised by the community and I still think Rebecca did a great thing simply by creating it. It serves this purpose well enough.

3) Thank you for self-pwn no.2. Exactly why my suggestion is needed thank you.

Since when does my suggestion say anything about Devs needing to reply, it actually provides convenience them instead.

Once again, hot topics/player interest =/= good for the game, how many times do I have to say this till you get a clue.

Most of the threads have what people like you are doing now, they come in and posts irrelevant stuff to shoot down people needlessly.

Hot topic threads = GAME IS P2W, I WANT ALL ALERTS, I WANT MORE FREE PLATS, RHINO NEEDS BANSHEE ULTI.

Basically you are saying the non hot topic threads are not important, sigh I dont think I can talk common sense into you.

When and where did I ever say this? I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth. Especially when I've already stated things to the contrary of what you're trying to make it seem that I've said.

4) Thank you for self pwn no.3

pls refer to 1)

Well thank you sir for proving my initial point that searching the forums for "ember suggestions" will quickly and easily turn up threads that explain what is wrong with ember and how it can be fixed thus further invalidating one of your previous points that you keep dwelling on.

5) Self-pwn no.4

Pls refer to 1)

You need to stop insulting the Devs :(

And you want to further infringe on that time and their personal lives for what purpose again?

6) Self-pwn no.5

Uh? Im just telling you facts that they are busy people apart from their job, what am I infringing upon their lives lol.

Seems like you have no clue what it means to have a family, to have children, stop needlessly bringing up senseless arguments will you.

Please, before you reply go through my previous post and this one. Locate points of contention- and address them with your own views and evidence to back up your views. This will facilitate progression with this discussion as well as helping others understand your viewpoint and the reasoning behind it. You've ALMOST done this once by pointing out that threads do not often stay on the front page very long. I have however countered this point by bringing up 'hot topic' markers and the 'community hot topics' subforum as well as asking how a 'this thread has been viewed by a moderator' icon will actually change anything.

7) Self-pwn no.6.

Isnt that what you are doing ? Bringing up points that dont matter to try to shoot me down.

About hot topic markers, pls refer to 3)

Everything you try to shoot me with is contradicting yourself, you need to stop that. :/

You still think you are right about everything, yet majority of the people that has been through my #1 post have stated its a good idea, even a community mod.

You are the minority here, maybe you should think about it again before trying to shoot it down further with your irrelevant arguments.

You do not seem to have the slightest clue what my suggestion is for, its for the convenience of the Devs and players.

So lets work with an easier way here,

Pros

a) Devs do not need to reply to the thread, automated or just click on a button which takes 1-2s.

b) Players know what the Devs have viewed, they can rest their case/threads on the issue instead of bumping it 50 times.

c) Subsequent similiar threads that get created can be addressed quickly by other players with "The Devs already know of this issue"

d) Overall less spam of similiar threads on the forums.

Cons

I cant think of any, maybe you can think of one ? :)