Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] Warframe On Linux With Wine

HACKhalo2

Question

Alright, so after much acclaim from the Subreddit, I decided to post my walkthrough on how to get this game running somewhat decently under the newest Wine (Development 1.5.29). The direct link to it is http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/1dnnoj/warframe_on_linux/.

Alright, so first thing. I did this in Arch Linux, so your mileage will very depending on what distro you use. I've read good reports for Ubuntu working pretty easily, and other distros not so much. I would like feedback on what extra steps you would have to do to get it to work if mine didn't work for you.

Step one, Install Wine (I recommend Dev, but Stable may work) and, if your Package Manager doesn't package it together, winetricks. http://www.winehq.org/ for wine, and https://code.google.com/p/winetricks/ for winetricks. Optionally, create a prefix for Warframe so you don't clutter up the default one.

Step two, run winetricks d3dx9 xact (or /path/to/winetricks.sh d3dx9 xact if the package manager didn't install it). This will install the bare minimum DirectX9 and XAudio2 DLL's needed by most games. (You can omit d3dx9 for directx9, but that's usually overkill)

Step three, Download the Warframe.msi and put it somewhere you'll remember. I have mine on my Desktop.

Step four, open a terminal where the Warframe.msi file is at and run wine msiexec /i Warframe.msi. This will start the launcher. (You can optionally run wine msiexec /i /path/to/Warframe.msi)

After this step, the Launcher Window should open up. If it doesn't, try installing 'lib32-openal', 'lib32-libxml2', 'lib32-mpg123', 'lib32-giflib', 'lib32-libpng', and 'lib32-gnutls'. These are common compatibility libs most Wine programs need, so it wouldn't be to awful to install them all. These are also the names Arch Linux gives these packages, so you may need to Google around for the correct names for your Distro.

This is a (incomplete) list of Package names per DIstro. (Thanks Morcant!)

Arch             Ubuntulib32-openal     libopenal1lib32-libxml2    libxml2lib32-mpg123     libmpg123lib32-giflib     libgif4lib32-libpng     libpng12-0lib32-gnutls     libgnutls26

On a 64-bit system with multiarch, it may be necessary to use e.g. 'sudo apt-get install libgnutls26:i386' to install the 32-bit packages.

Step five, after the launcher opens up, DISABLE 64BIT IN THE LAUNCHER SETTINGS. It currently does NOT work right, and you're going to have a bad time.

Step six, Hopefully the launcher will be complaining about not being able to find Launcher.exe in your AppData path ($WINE_PREFIX/drive_c/users/<your username>/Local Settings/Application Data/Warframe/Downloaded/Public/Tools/Launcher.exe). It is there, but you need to move it over manually. CD into the directory and run mv Launcher.exe.tmp Launcher.exe. Click Retry on the launcher, and it should greet you with the login prompt. Enter your login information, and hopefully you will see the Licensing conditions. If so, congrats! Enjoy playing Warframe on a non-Microsoft system!

There is a chance that you will get the error that dreaded me for almost two weeks, the Could not log in: Could not find Server error. I have no clue why this error is there, but it fixed itself by compiling and installing https://github.com/madewokherd/wine-mono (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-mono/ for you Arch Linux users). It takes quite a bit of time to compile (I have an A10-5800K, and it took around 30 minutes to compile and install). MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A LOT OF SPACE IN /tmp, IT WILL TAKE A LOT JUST TO COMPILE IT!

If that doesn't fix it, Try compiling Wine from source. it's a long shot, but it may work (and it has worked for some people).

TIPS AND TRICKS

If your sound doesn't work (and it doesn't complain about not finding the XAudio2 Engine), try modprobing snd_seq. It may not of been loaded.

If your sound doesn't work (and it's complaining about not finding the XAudio2 Engine), run winetricks --force xact_jun2010. It may of not installed correctly the first time.

If the preprocess crashes when first starting the Launcher, run the launcher (or Warframe.msi) in the terminal. It fixes this error for me.

TURN OFF ALL THE FANCY STUFF AND HAVE THE GAME IN FULL SCREEN MODE. It raised my FPS from 10 to 60+.

Hopefully this guide helps you!

Edited by HACKhalo2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DoctorTee6 said:

Hey guys !

I just installed warframe using wine/winetricks, and started it without any problem (I copied datas from a Windows install). This is a 64bit install, but I saw it was working, and it worked... Please note that 32bit install make me have some strange texture bugs (see previous message, at the end of this one)...

But when I start some missions, my game freeze and crash.

+ Sometimes, my screen freeze, but the game keep running (I hear the sounds, and I can interact with the menus).

Any idea ?

Previous message (fixed)

Hide contents

Hey guys !

I have installed WarFrame on Linux using wine (and PoL), following the multiple guides on the internet, but I still have a problem...

The game is laggy, ok, no problem, but, why the f*ck have I some textures swapped ?

(ex : plastids images are used for main nova prime image, lotus seems corrupted, then become orange... some textures doesn't appear and look like pixel's storm...)

Bonus : WTF Lotus ?

Reveal hidden contents

792985Warframe0000.jpg

What guide did you follow? I would still run the 32-bit version... the instructions here have been working for me for the past couple months.

I created a clear wineprefix, I added all the needed libraries (I used WineHQ tutorial, but all tutorials explain the same things), and I launched the game.

I "skipped" the download by using an other installation of WarFrame that I had, by placing my files on the New warframe's one, and it worked fine. Checked cache and optimised it without problem.

When I launch the game :

32 bits : Login screen : no problem
Ship : Texture bugs, like in foundry.
Missions : Texture bugs, but I can play without problems.
The 32 bits have mini-freezes, really often, and quite annoying, but don't crash

64 bits : Login screen : no problem
Ship : No problem
Missions : I can walk during 10s, then, the game crashed.
The 64 bits have some mini-freezes, but not annoying at all...

Note : I've done the same install for both, except that I precised "win64" instead of "win32"

Note2 : On both installs, I disabled all graphical settings, reduced the quality to minimum, and the launcher didn't use DirectX 10/11...

Edited by DoctorTee6
added note

On 2016-08-21 at 9:56 PM, DoctorTee6 said:

I created a clear wineprefix, I added all the needed libraries (I used WineHQ tutorial, but all tutorials explain the same things), and I launched the game.

I "skipped" the download by using an other installation of WarFrame that I had, by placing my files on the New warframe's one, and it worked fine. Checked cache and optimised it without problem.

When I launch the game :

32 bits : Login screen : no problem
Ship : Texture bugs, like in foundry.
Missions : Texture bugs, but I can play without problems.
The 32 bits have mini-freezes, really often, and quite annoying, but don't crash

64 bits : Login screen : no problem
Ship : No problem
Missions : I can walk during 10s, then, the game crashed.
The 64 bits have some mini-freezes, but not annoying at all...

Note : I've done the same install for both, except that I precised "win64" instead of "win32"

Note2 : On both installs, I disabled all graphical settings, reduced the quality to minimum, and the launcher didn't use DirectX 10/11...

Can you tell me what changes I can make on this video so that it works now please?

On 2015-12-01 at 10:38 PM, Katokatochirukishi said:

After requests on my previous video. I made a video that show's (quickly) on how to install Warframe on Linux and Mac. The last part I cut ut becuase it took 10 minutes with fiber and 90 minutes without fiber. The reason I made it so short is that the whole video would take way too long (over 30 minutes). 

On 28/08/2016 at 11:58 AM, Katokatochirukishi said:

Can you tell me what changes I can make on this video so that it works now please?

I'm sorry, but I'm on linux, using PlayOnLinux (there's not the same menus), and he's not processing like I did...

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=30137

I used this one, made my own virtual drive, installed the required libraries + all the vcrun versions, and I started launcher in it...

On 2016-08-31 at 8:42 PM, DoctorTee6 said:

I'm sorry, but I'm on linux, using PlayOnLinux (there's not the same menus), and he's not processing like I did...

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=30137

I used this one, made my own virtual drive, installed the required libraries + all the vcrun versions, and I started launcher in it...

That is enough for me. Thank you.

i need help with starting a mission because it stop responding when countdown ended (zooming in to planet), black screen, no sound and close by terminating process

im running on ubuntu 16.04
and managed to enter the liset and navigate around
based by tutorial on https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=30137

im using 32 prefix and nvidia gpu stuff based on this tutorial
https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/4ab919/warframe_arch_linux_wine_staging_195/

really hope that anyone could help me out here :)

Hey all,

Seeing the same issue as as3mbus:

" it stop responding when countdown ended (zooming in to planet), black screen, no sound and close by terminating process"

Running Linux Mint 17 (it uses Ubuntu Trusty 14.04 repos) with nvidia-352 drivers and wine-staging 1.9.20.

Followed process of:

2022  WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/srv/data/games/warframe/wine wineboot
 2024  WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=//srv/data/games/warframe/wine ~/dev/repos/third_party/winetricks/winetricks winxp d3dx9 d3dx10 xact hosts wininet winhttp corefonts fontfix
 2025  WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/srv/data/games/warframe/wine wine msiexec /i /srv/data/games/Warframe.2016.09.29.22.38.exe 
 2026* WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/srv/data/games/warframe/wine wine msiexec /i ~/Downloads/Warframe.msi
 2027  WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=//srv/data/games/warframe/wine ~/dev/repos/third_party/winetricks/winetricks vcrun2010
 2028  WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=//srv/data/games/warframe/wine ~/dev/repos/third_party/winetricks/winetricks vcrun2008
 2029  WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=//srv/data/games/warframe/wine ~/dev/repos/third_party/winetricks/winetricks vcrun2012
 2035  WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=//srv/data/games/warframe/wine ~/dev/repos/third_party/winetricks/winetricks vcrun6 vcrun6sp6
 2038  WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=//srv/data/games/warframe/wine ~/dev/repos/third_party/winetricks/winetricks mfc42
 2041  WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=//srv/data/games/warframe/wine ~/dev/repos/third_party/winetricks/winetricks msxml3

Then ran:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=//srv/data/games/warframe/wine/ winecfg # ran this command to add the following to the dll section

dwrite — disabled
    raspi32 — builtin, native
    wininet — builtin, native

So I can login, walk around in the cockpit of the ship and select different menus. However, when you select Navigation and try and go to Mercury -> Larunda relay, it will countdown and go to a blank screen without loading the screen with the flying ship.

Nothing obvious in the Wine logs except you start seeing:

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x110060 "heap.c: main process heap section" wait timed out in thread 0090, blocked by 0077, retrying (60 sec)

Trying again, I can log into the game, then navigate to our Dojo and walk around, but when I tried to use an elevator, it froze and you get this output:

54.765 Sys [Info]: Finished load of RenderTarget batch [0s and 0 frames at 0 ms/frame avg, 0 ms/update peak]
54.765 Sys [Info]: Finished load of ApexEmitterAsset ApexTurbulenceAsset Mesh Sample ApexAttractorAsset AnimScene SkeletalMesh ApexParticleIosAsset ApexSpriteIofxAsset batch [0s and 0 frames at 0 ms/frame avg, 0 ms/update peak]
54.765 Sys [Info]: Finished load of Emblem batch [0s and 0 frames at 0 ms/frame avg, 0 ms/update peak]
54.765 Sys [Info]: Resource load completed in one pass and 0s (inherited 10862 of 10894)
54.782 Sys [Info]: Budget overrun updating WebGet (27 ms)
59.961 Sys [Info]: Spot-building /Lotus/Interface/PlayerBuffNotificationType/NextShotDamageBonus
59.961 Sys [Info]: Spot-loading /Lotus/Interface/Icons/ModBuffIndicators/NextShotDamageBonus.png
61.911 Sys [Info]: Unable to execute 'Close' on DialogTrigger
61.912 Sys [Info]: DialogTrigger: /Layer0/Prefab19/DialogTrigger1 Close
63.445 Sys [Info]: DialogTrigger: /Layer1/Prefab4/DialogTrigger1 Open
63.445 Sys [Info]: Created /Lotus/Interface/Dojo/DojoMessage.swf
63.445 Sys [Info]: Unable to execute 'SetTitle' or 'SetMessage' on DialogTrigger
fixme:d3d:wined3d_occlusion_query_ops_poll 0x8829210 Wrong thread, returning 1.
fixme:d3d:wined3d_occlusion_query_ops_poll 0x8829688 Wrong thread, returning 1.
fixme:d3d:wined3d_occlusion_query_ops_poll 0x8828c90 Wrong thread, returning 1.
70.311 Net [Info]: NAT bound for server to 118.211.238.181:4950
err:dbghelp:SymCleanup this process has not had SymInitialize() called for it!
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff72f0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff6e40000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff6e00000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff6dc0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff6da0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff6d90000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff6bd0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff6a90000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff4490000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff2ff0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff2fd0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff2fa0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff2f90000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address ffffffffeebc0000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address ffffffffeeb50000
fixme:dbghelp:validate_addr64 Unsupported address fffffffff4170000
fixme:wbemprox:wbem_services_CreateInstanceEnum unsupported flags 0x00000030
fixme:wbemprox:enum_class_object_Next timeout not supported
fixme:ddraw:ddraw7_Initialize Ignoring guid {aeb2cdd4-6e41-43ea-941c-8361cc760781}.
fixme:devenum:DEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {33d9a761-90c8-11d0-bd43-00a0c911ce86} not found
fixme:devenum:DEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {cc7bfb41-f175-11d1-a392-00e0291f3959} not found
fixme:devenum:DEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {cc7bfb46-f175-11d1-a392-00e0291f3959} not found
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x110060 "heap.c: main process heap section" wait timed out in thread 0078, blocked by 0077, retrying (60 sec)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x110060 "heap.c: main process heap section" wait timed out in thread 0099, blocked by 0077, retrying (60 sec)
0x11921023: int	$3

I have been playing for a month and a half without any worries, but last Friday there was a game update and I also updated the OS and nvidia drivers last week... Which is a pain, as I can't isolate where the issue is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jinx

UPDATE: For those having similar issues to this, I have managed to get my game working. It's easier to just link you to the WineHQ post here: https://appdb.winehq.org/commentview.php?iAppId=14857&iVersionId=30137&iThreadId=98641

Edited by Jinxau

Just an fyi to anyone else using a VPN, within the last day some time, Warframe is now blocking access when I have Private Internet Access enabled.  Can't get to the forums, play the game, etc.

Edit - I could have sworn I posted a version of this before, but the forums seem to be saying I only have 1 post now.  Anyway, here's the script I use for launching warframe (uses the fish shell):

#!/usr/bin/fish

# remove old log
rm "$HOME/Desktop/Wine/Wine Logs/wineframe.log"

# add wine-staging to PATH just for this script
set PATH "/opt/wine-staging/bin" $PATH

# allow warframe to launch without keeping a terminal open
# also logs all output
export WINEPREFIX="/home/$USER/Desktop/WineGames/Wineframe"
nohup wine "/home/$USER/Desktop/WineGames/Wineframe/drive_c/users/$USER/Local Settings/Application Data/Warframe/Downloaded/Public/Tools/Launcher.exe" > "$HOME/Desktop/Wine/Wine Logs/wineframe.log" ^&1 &

# sleep to let the launcher start
sleep 2

# while there is a process called Launcher.exe
while pidof Launcher.exe
# check how many winedbg processes there are
# is a test for a failed launcher update, since it will infinitely open/crash/create a winedbg process
  set RESTART (ps -u $USER | grep winedbg | wc -l)

# if there are more than 5 winedbg processes, assume launcher update failure and kill warframe
  if [ $RESTART -gt 5 ]
  then
    pkill -f Launcher.exe
    pkill -f Warframe
    pkill -f winedbg

# check for updated launcher
    set LAUNCHER "/home/$USER/Desktop/WineGames/Wineframe/drive_c/users/$USER/Local Settings/Application Data/Warframe/Downloaded/Public/Tools"
    if test -f "$LAUNCHER/Launcher.exe.cpy"
    then
# replace old launcher with new launcher
      rm "$LAUNCHER/Launcher.exe"
      mv "$LAUNCHER/Launcher.exe.cpy" "$LAUNCHER/Launcher.exe"
      chmod 755 "$LAUNCHER/Launcher.exe"
# restart wineframe
      nohup wine "/home/$USER/Desktop/WineGames/Wineframe/drive_c/users/$USER/Local Settings/Application Data/Warframe/Downloaded/Public/Tools/Launcher.exe" > "$HOME/Desktop/Wine/Wine Logs/wineframe.log" ^&1 &
    end
  end

# sleep between winedbg checks
# also allows time for the background nohup to kick off wineframe, since otherwise the script can end before wineframe is able to start
  sleep 2
end

Edited by Pentarctagon

Hello there!

After many many tries and fails to getting Warframe running on PlayOnLinux i finally got it runned!

By running it on my actual system Wine, so no POL "inbetween". There it works, the Launcher works, Downloads all the content and the game works (except some (horrofic) graphic errors).

But my question is now, my system Wine is 1.6.5 and the POL Wine i tried to install to was 1.9.20 (also tried a lot of other versions including 1.6.5).

I just can't explain, WHY launcher.exe ALWAYS crashes on the POL Wine (no matter if Steam Version or Download). I mean it's basically wine, but on the POL Wine it crashes and on the system wine it works fine (except the errors).

I still would LOVE to see a native Linux Port. I mean just google how many people are trying to figuring out this game to run on Linux and how many different Problems they encounter (there are even several Youtube Videos on to explain how to install this game on Wine).

I think Digital Extremes really should port they game to Linux, i know it's hard since they would need to rewrite the graphical base of their engine (since it only supports DirectX, no OpenGL or Vulkan). But it would also be a longterm investment for future Games and looking at all the google search "hits" the argument "No marketshare" also seems wrong in my eyes.

I just don't get it... I still hope DE maybe gets their ... stuff... together and ports Warframe to Linux.

You want to change the 64bit mode turn that off and DirectX 11 I believe if there are more things then let me know. But yo u should be able to find the answers somewhere on this thread. And it is okay I was once trying to do this myself as you can see throughout the posts I have made. :)

and I messed up when I posted this oops was on wrong page. 

Edited by DreManX23

Hi guys !

I tried by an other way to install Warframe.

(I'm running Debian stretch 64bits)

(I installed the D3DX10 and D3DX11, but they are unavailable in the launcher settings).

I used the wineHQ guide (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=30137), except that I chose a 64bits drive, and I started the launcher. Before the launcher finished to download, I shut it down, and I put the content of the Warframe installation on my other computer (Windows 7 x64).

The launcher works without any problem (where POL make the launcher show an unexpected error, and crash), and recognize the assets I put from Windows. I check the cache => No problem.

When I start the game, The window show the first background, and when it should show the login menu, the game crash.

Spoiler

Error [Info]: Crash Message:
Error [Info]:
Error [Info]:     GPF in 00DA4B9F() [????????.???:0]
Error [Info]:
Error [Info]: Stack Trace:
Error [Info]:
Error [Info]:     Warframe.exe  00DA4B9F
Error [Info]:     Warframe.exe  0049C60C
Error [Info]:
Error [Info]: Build Label:
Error [Info]:
Error [Info]:     2016.10.27.17.41 Retail Windows x86
Error [Info]:
Error [Info]: Registers:
Error [Info]: EAX=00001FA0 EBX=04435D70 ECX=04455C10 EDX=00000001
Error [Info]: ESI=04455BF4 EDI=04455C10 EBP=00000028 ESP=04455C1C EIP=2DEA00EB
Error [Info]: FLG=00010246 CS=0023 DS=002B SS=002B ES=002B FS=006B GS=0063

Application error messages:
MainMenu.lua
Update
Background.lua
PlayCameraTransition
Background.lua

For this one, it's written x86, because I tried to disable 64bits mode, and it didn't work. Same when I disable "multi-thread rendering".

Any idea ?

Edit : Here is a full log from Warframe : http://pastebin.com/2smUbidS

(I couldn't catch the wine messages using this command line : WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=/home/[USERNAME]/PlayOnLinux\'s\ virtual\ drives/WarFrameC wine ./Warframe_2/Downloaded/Public/Tools/Launcher.exe >> ./temp.log )

Edited by DoctorTee6
Added logs

Just a quick update as it may help a few of you, especially with the new update. I recently installed Linux Mint 18 on my laptop. I first tried to run Warframe by installing wine-staging (wine 1.8.5 I believe) but had some issues where the game would freeze mid-mission which eventually led to a crash. Only way I found to fix this was to uninstall wine-staging and install wine-devel (version of wine was 1.6). It worked fine until The War Within Update.

When updating the game today, a crash window appeared at the "checking for new content". The launcher got stuck at this stage until I closed the crash window which led the launcher giving me an "update failed" message. I was fortunately able to fix that problem by uninstalling wine-staging. I then installed wine 1.8 with the following:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.8

I used the same wineprefix as before and the game updated fine and seems to run ok as well.

I haven't seen anyone mentioning this problem after the update so I thought I'd post something just in case anybody happens to have this issue.

9 hours ago, CountrifiedSoul said:

Just a quick update as it may help a few of you, especially with the new update. I recently installed Linux Mint 18 on my laptop. I first tried to run Warframe by installing wine-staging (wine 1.8.5 I believe) but had some issues where the game would freeze mid-mission which eventually led to a crash. Only way I found to fix this was to uninstall wine-staging and install wine-devel (version of wine was 1.6). It worked fine until The War Within Update.

When updating the game today, a crash window appeared at the "checking for new content". The launcher got stuck at this stage until I closed the crash window which led the launcher giving me an "update failed" message. I was fortunately able to fix that problem by uninstalling wine-staging. I then installed wine 1.8 with the following:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.8

I used the same wineprefix as before and the game updated fine and seems to run ok as well.

I haven't seen anyone mentioning this problem after the update so I thought I'd post something just in case anybody happens to have this issue.

I'm running an old version of Ubuntu (15.04). I had the same issue with wine 1.9.15 but after upgrading to 1.9.22 staging I successfully pass the update stage. Now the game crash after or in the loading stage.

In the log I can't spot from where it is broken.

I have this at the end :

13.450 Sys [Ierr:dbghelp:SymCleanup this process has not had SymInitialize() called for it!
nfo]: Finished load of DiffuseMap NormalMap EmissiveMap SpecularMap PackMap RoughnessMap CubeMap VolumeTexture Texture batch [0.393s and 11 frames at 35 ms/frame avg, 28 ms/update peak]
Error [Debug]: Loaded unexpected version of dbghelp.dll from

From what I can tell, it seems to be some sort of script error that causes one thread to block all the others. This is what I see at the end of the logs: 

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x110060 "heap.c: main process heap section" wait timed out in thread 007c, blocked by 007b, retrying (60 sec)

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x110060 "heap.c: main process heap section" wait timed out in thread 009a, blocked by 007b, retrying (60 sec)

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x110060 "heap.c: main process heap section" wait timed out in thread 0091, blocked by 007b, retrying (60 sec)

15 hours ago, JohnTheGreen said:

I'm getting "Update Failed; The preprocess pass appeared to crash" every time I try to update to TWW.

Switching to Wine1.8 does not appear to help.

Heyas, I found installing "vcrun2015" using winetricks seemed to resolve this issue for me.

17 hours ago, JohnTheGreen said:

I'm getting "Update Failed; The preprocess pass appeared to crash" every time I try to update to TWW.

Switching to Wine1.8 does not appear to help.

2 hours ago, Jinxau said:

Heyas, I found installing "vcrun2015" using winetricks seemed to resolve this issue for me.

I had vcrun2015 the whole time and it only started to work when switching to wine1.8 but it worked for some people with other versions of wine so maybe I just got lucky there.

10 hours ago, thoutmo said:

I'm running an old version of Ubuntu (15.04). I had the same issue with wine 1.9.15 but after upgrading to 1.9.22 staging I successfully pass the update stage. Now the game crash after or in the loading stage.

In the log I can't spot from where it is broken.

I have this at the end :

13.450 Sys [Ierr:dbghelp:SymCleanup this process has not had SymInitialize() called for it!
nfo]: Finished load of DiffuseMap NormalMap EmissiveMap SpecularMap PackMap RoughnessMap CubeMap VolumeTexture Texture batch [0.393s and 11 frames at 35 ms/frame avg, 28 ms/update peak]
Error [Debug]: Loaded unexpected version of dbghelp.dll from

One of the problems I had with staging was random crashes. Sometimes it crashed before the login screen, sometimes I had a black screen when entering a mission or stuck when loading a mission and sometimes it would freeze mid-mission. It appeared inconsistent and I found no way of fixing any of the problems (very hard to try and fix it when you can't reproduce the bug consistently). I gave up on staging and tried to install something else.

1 hour ago, CountrifiedSoul said:

One of the problems I had with staging was random crashes. Sometimes it crashed before the login screen, sometimes I had a black screen when entering a mission or stuck when loading a mission and sometimes it would freeze mid-mission. It appeared inconsistent and I found no way of fixing any of the problems (very hard to try and fix it when you can't reproduce the bug consistently). I gave up on staging and tried to install something else.

I'd like to know if there is a success story with the War Within and wine. I only have Linux (my choice) , so I can't play until I solve that issue.

4 hours ago, thoutmo said:

I'd like to know if there is a success story with the War Within and wine. I only have Linux (my choice) , so I can't play until I solve that issue.

There is. I have Linux Mint 18, have successfully updated and played the quest. Wine staging was not working for me so I installed wine1.8 by adding a specific repository with the following command line (may be different according to your distrib) :

I kept the same wine prefix as before the update so wine was the only thing I personally needed to change to get it to work.

12 hours ago, CountrifiedSoul said:

Yeah, I found similar issues with my Linux Mint install. I then switched over to Gentoo Linux and found the same problem with Wine 1.8 and Wine 1.9.22. Eventually I stumbled on some 3d options that seem to be available in the latest Nvidia drivers.

This is a script I borrowed off GloriousEggRoll that sets your __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS. Found that made the game stable. Might not work for you, but figured I would mention it, as I went through two weeks of loading, reloading,researching and frustration. :P

#!/bin/bash
#
# Based off the script from:
# gloriouseggroll.tv/2016-arch-linux-wine-staging-1-9-5-warframe/
#

export WINEARCH=win32
export WINEPREFIX=/srv/data_perf/games/warframe/wine
#COMMENT IF THE GAME IS FAILING TO LAUNCH
export WINEDEBUG=-all

# UNCOMMENT THESE LINES IF YOU USE NVIDIA DRIVERS
#export LANG="en_AU.UTF-8"
#export LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1"
export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1
export __GL_YIELD="NOTHING"

WINE=/usr/bin/wine

$WINE "Launcher.exe"

Cheers

I'm starting to think that there's something in the game scripts that's broken now that I've finished the quest... Good thing I have a PC. :P

59.720 Sys [Error]: Could not use object: /Lotus/Fx/Levels/TheWarWithin/LisetAirIntakeMainSpawnConstant (broken)

59.720 Sys [Error]: Required by key chain item /Lotus/Types/Keys/WarWithinQuest/WarWithinQuestKeyChain

59.721 Sys [Error]: Could not use object: /Lotus/Fx/Levels/TheWarWithin/LisetAirIntakeMainSpawnConstant (broken)

59.721 Sys [Error]: Required by key chain item /Lotus/Types/Keys/WarWithinQuest/WarWithinQuestKeyChain

18 hours ago, Jinxau said:

Yeah, I found similar issues with my Linux Mint install. I then switched over to Gentoo Linux and found the same problem with Wine 1.8 and Wine 1.9.22. Eventually I stumbled on some 3d options that seem to be available in the latest Nvidia drivers.

This is a script I borrowed off GloriousEggRoll that sets your __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS. Found that made the game stable. Might not work for you, but figured I would mention it, as I went through two weeks of loading, reloading,researching and frustration. :P

#!/bin/bash
#
# Based off the script from:
# gloriouseggroll.tv/2016-arch-linux-wine-staging-1-9-5-warframe/
#

export WINEARCH=win32
export WINEPREFIX=/srv/data_perf/games/warframe/wine
#COMMENT IF THE GAME IS FAILING TO LAUNCH
export WINEDEBUG=-all

# UNCOMMENT THESE LINES IF YOU USE NVIDIA DRIVERS
#export LANG="en_AU.UTF-8"
#export LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1"
export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1
export __GL_YIELD="NOTHING"

WINE=/usr/bin/wine

$WINE "Launcher.exe"

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually tried that a few weeks ago but it didn't work. I got the game running another way so it's all good for me. Might help somebody else though.