Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: Option To Hold Melee Weapons

link4355

Okay, so one day my buddy and I were just starting a mission when he noticed that my Rhino was holding the Gram. I couldn't see it so he showed me a screenshots of it. So we thought "Why not just be able to hold our melee weapons?"

dXRU7bL.jpg

bgwIn4l.jpg

38eKCa4.jpg

There have been missions where I just want to use melee but every character puts the melee weapon away after using it. So why not create a button to switch to our melee weapon? I would like to keep the same melee system in effect for the people that don't want to. Mainly this is for an aesthetic look. Plus it would be nice to see progression for our melee weapons just like our primaries and secondaries.

Thoughts?

IIRC keyboard/button gymnastics, and slow switch times.

As it is now Melee is always available anytime, and having to cycle between Long Gun, Pistol, and Melee is confusing, AFAIK DE has tried that and didn't like it.

By the way, the "Holding Melee Weapon Instead Of Gun" is a commonly known bug, which I hope they leave in because it looks fun.

While it may look cool to run around with a Scindo on your shoulder, it just doesn't seem very practical. Having a switch to melee option seems like it would severely limit your Tenno because he/she wouldn't be able to use firearms as long as this option is enabled. I do like the idea of giving the melee weapons more of a primary rather than secondary feel, and while I don't think this would necessarily hurt the gameplay since it is optional (and the original melee button would still work) I don't see it being very beneficial besides looking badass (and the Tenno are already pretty badass, no?).

IIRC keyboard/button gymnastics, and slow switch times.

As it is now Melee is always available anytime, and having to cycle between Long Gun, Pistol, and Melee is confusing, AFAIK DE has tried that and didn't like it.

By the way, the "Holding Melee Weapon Instead Of Gun" is a commonly known bug, which I hope they leave in because it looks fun.

I know that holding it is a bug.

Also was thinking like Some button (for example I'll use caps lock) is switch to melee and the F key can bring it back but the F Key doesn't swtich to that only to primary and secondary and still keep E as melee attack as normal. Like I said there wouldn't be an advantage or disadvantage to it just something they could add if they wanted to.

Besides don't tell me it hasn't crossed your mind to just run around with just your melee weapon or to see a progression bar for your melee weapon.

Edited by link4355

While it may look cool to run around with a Scindo on your shoulder, it just doesn't seem very practical. Having a switch to melee option seems like it would severely limit your Tenno because he/she wouldn't be able to use firearms as long as this option is enabled. I do like the idea of giving the melee weapons more of a primary rather than secondary feel, and while I don't think this would necessarily hurt the gameplay since it is optional (and the original melee button would still work) I don't see it being very beneficial besides looking badass (and the Tenno are already pretty badass, no?).

I know they want to improve this game but we want to enjoy all the little things they have thrown in like the skins. They don't have any purpose other than to look awesome.

I know they want to improve this game but we want to enjoy all the little things they have thrown in like the skins. They don't have any purpose other than to look awesome.

The skins do have some minor differences in stats, but you make a good point. Like I said this wouldn't really hurt anything but at the same time probably won't happen because it doesn't necessarily help anything.

Besides don't tell me it hasn't crossed your mind to just run around with just your melee weapon or to see a progression bar for your melee weapon.

Honestly? Nope on the running around with swords in hand, I like how it works as is.

Yes on the melee weapon indicator on HUD, I've made a thread quite some time ago about secondary weapon xp/ammo indicator on the HUD, and adding melee weapon info to it would be awesome.

Like all things, I would respect and accept the DEv's decision on this, should they decide to make Melee mode a thing, preferably without removing 'classic' melee behaviour.

Well, considering the brand name on your jeans doesn't really help anything either, people pick it for looks. The same goes with games, alot of people play certain games for the aesthetics. If it would make the game more visually pleasing for certain people, then it would help with sales and player base. So infact, it would help.

Maybe you should wield the weapon while running around that you used last, without changing the current fight mechanism ? That should solve your problem ?

Could you elaborate? Not sure what you are trying to get at.

What if, to appeal to those who'd prefer using melee weapons over firearms, have two different melee styles that you can switch between? let me elaborate:

Style 1: Always ready

This is essentially how warframe currently is. You use your firearms, and then press a button for a quick slash with your melee. Hold down to charge for a heavier hit.

Style 2: Always deadly

At the press of a button, your warframe switches to their melee weapon, and the control scheme changes. Mouse 1 does some basic attacks like normal, but Mouse 2 locks onto a target, giving the melee weapon an entire moveset a la Devil May Cry, that when strung together do much more damage than the quick slashes or charge attacks could ever do. Obviously, this is a basic concept and would need a lot of work to not break the flow of combat and to work well on the keyboard, but I think it'd fit the Tenno's role as assassins better.

Or Mouse 2 could just be block.

What if, to appeal to those who'd prefer using melee weapons over firearms, have two different melee styles that you can switch between? let me elaborate:

This is essentially how warframe currently is. You use your firearms, and then press a button for a quick slash with your melee. Hold down to charge for a heavier hit.

At the press of a button, your warframe switches to their melee weapon, and the control scheme changes. Mouse 1 does some basic attacks like normal, but Mouse 2 locks onto a target, giving the melee weapon an entire moveset a la Devil May Cry, that when strung together do much more damage than the quick slashes or charge attacks could ever do. Obviously, this is a basic concept and would need a lot of work to not break the flow of combat and to work well on the keyboard, but I think it'd fit the Tenno's role as assassins better.

Definitely not a terrible idea, it would need to be hammered out but so long as the "always ready" option still exists I'd be all for it.

Well, I like part of it. But I would change Always deadly to simply changing the Control scheme to normal slashing on LMB and Heavy on RMB. Locking targets isn't really something I'd go for in this game.

I really like this idea - I would support it fully.

People who like things as they are don't have to use it.  Folks who are melee based get a win that isn't OP.  Can't see a problem with it.

Edited by MoobsUK

I hope they do NOTHING to change how melee actually functions in this game. It's perfect how it is. ... That said, I would not be opposed to an option that lets me wield them in my hands instead of on my back. That's purely cosmetic. I have no problem with that.