The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Files Getting "corrupted" + "fix"

Phenzix

Greetings :)

Sometimes, while I play on the game, it crashes for absolutely no reason (my pc runs this game perfectly well) and I have the Internet page where apparently I had a hardware failure opening up. The game on my rig only uses 40% of my CPU max and I have 16 gb of ram + an awesome GTX670 - PhysX is running on the GTX (yes, blame me :D). I can run BF3 with no problems what so ever.

Personnal issues list when the game has crashed:

- after a map got loaded, immediate crash to desktop + Warframe crash assistant popup

- while normally playing in-game, suddenly crashes to destop + WarFrame website of hardware failure

- never did crash being on the menu

- it happens randomly during the game, either after 5 maps (or more or less), either at the beginning, or in the middle of a game.

- I never do anything wrong when crashes happen. Maybe by always reducing the game to answer people on Steam makes it unstable.

FIX: I did find a way around to avoid having the game crashing for no reason, and that is by verifying the game cache on steam. Each time I did this cache thingy, I had to re-download 1.2 or 1.3 Gb (respectively around 34 to 54 files "corrupted" according to steam) so the game would run fine... until it starts crashing again. I don't know why these files get corrupted, I don't know if it's the regular updates (I don't blame them, it's great to have them!), or reducing the game to answer on steam, but it happens :(

Also, I would like to know why the steam_api.dll doesn't work in game, it used to work fine before I had a problem with Windows and had to reinstall the game. When I try to open steam in-game I can just see my desktop mouse appearing and move it around. I guess I can answer people that write to me without I being able to read what they said. Fun to do by any ways :D.

Cheers for reading.

Edited by Phenzix

AFAIK steam doesn't play well with Warframe's update frequency as it works on 'cycles' or somesuch thing, and checking files via steam might be rolling it back to a previous version. Perhaps use the Launcher to check your files?

I don't personally use Steam for warframe, I could only speculate.

AFAIK steam doesn't play well with Warframe's update frequency as it works on 'cycles' or somesuch thing, and checking files via steam might be rolling it back to a previous version. Perhaps use the Launcher to check your files?

This is exactly what happens. There is no way Steam would update the download for Warframe to Update 7.10.2 in less than a week. 

This is exactly what happens. There is no way Steam would update the download for Warframe to Update 7.10.2 in less than a week. 

But if the files were from the previous update, shouldn't be any warning? There's a warning like "An update for Warframe is existed!" when I played while Update 7.10.2 were rolled out... I don't use Steam, but maybe Steam users get this kind of in-game warning too, right?

All users get that warning when there is an update and they're in game. I take it once he verifies the cache and tries to play Warframe, the Launcher would close down and reopen with the "downloading new content" message for a few minutes as it catches up with 7.10.2

Anyways, that's really beside the point of the issue he's experiencing. I suspect his fix is not so much a fix as it is temporarily reverting back to right before he has these issues, which is going to get really old, fast.

If you're getting a hard crash with a WAR-number code, that generally means you need to contact Support, as something isn't playing nice. If the Steam overlay doesn't appear in-game, then that is certainly a possible reason Warframe is crashing. Do you experience that in any other games? One thing to also consider is that the Steam overlay does not work in 64-bit mode, so if you open the Launcher, and click the cog in the top right hand corner and try to set it to 32 bit mode, does that change it at all? Even though it's less than ideal.

If you do still lack the Steam overlay in other Steam games, then you may want to reinstall Steam, and see if that helps. If not, I would recommend visiting Warframe Support at http://support.warframe.com/ . The chaps there are pretty helpful, and will at the very least be able to point you in the right direction as to what is going wrong.

One thing I would suggest before contacting them though is to locate your EE.log. This is a log file that Warframe produces which makes it much quicker for support to determine your issue. If you're on Windows 7, you can find it at C:/Users/<your user account>/AppData/Local/Warframe/

You may also want to include the launcher.log and preprocess.log, just in case. Also, make sure to take note of which WAR-number you are getting.

Edited by Azure_Kyte

Greetings :)

Sometimes, while I play on the game, it crashes for absolutely no reason (my pc runs this game perfectly well) and I have the Internet page where apparently I had a hardware failure opening up. The game on my rig only uses 40% of my CPU max and I have 16 gb of ram + an awesome GTX670 - PhysX is running on the GTX (yes, blame me :D). I can run BF3 with no problems what so ever.

Personnal issues list when the game has crashed:

- after a map got loaded, immediate crash to desktop + Warframe crash assistant popup

- while normally playing in-game, suddenly crashes to destop + WarFrame website of hardware failure

- never did crash being on the menu

- it happens randomly during the game, either after 5 maps (or more or less), either at the beginning, or in the middle of a game.

- I never do anything wrong when crashes happen. Maybe by always reducing the game to answer people on Steam makes it unstable.

FIX: I did find a way around to avoid having the game crashing for no reason, and that is by verifying the game cache on steam. Each time I did this cache thingy, I had to re-download 1.2 or 1.3 Gb (respectively around 34 to 54 files "corrupted" according to steam) so the game would run fine... until it starts crashing again. I don't know why these files get corrupted, I don't know if it's the regular updates (I don't blame them, it's great to have them!), or reducing the game to answer on steam, but it happens :(

Also, I would like to know why the steam_api.dll doesn't work in game, it used to work fine before I had a problem with Windows and had to reinstall the game. When I try to open steam in-game I can just see my desktop mouse appearing and move it around. I guess I can answer people that write to me without I being able to read what they said. Fun to do by any ways :D.

Cheers for reading.

Steam checks the version it has, that might not be the latest release from DE.

I fixed it by checking the game cache then launching the game and update it again.

Assume that with rapid updates the launcher and steam get confused since you can not run the game without steam using the steam installment.

Hello guys

Thank you for your feedback!

Well... Actually things got worse... Is it possible I can run the game without steam? I didn't manage to read all the posts (was busy and I am tired now to read them all) but I would be pleased to know :)

I think I do know what's wrong. It is similar to the problem I have with Borderlands 2. The game used to crash randomly and the way to turn this over was to put the PhysX either on low or dedicate it with the GPU (that's why I run it on my gtx670). I'll try to reverse that and see what happens. Since Warframe and BLDS2 are on the same engine (or Warframe is on a more advanced engine, not sure), there's prolly a link :D

FYI, here's my complete computer specs:

- Asrock Z77 Pro3

- Corsair XMS3 16 Gb DDR3 @ 1333 Mhz

- Intel i5-3570K running non-OC (3.4 Ghz)

- EVGA GTX670 FTW Signature 2 (2 gb / original EVGA clocks / pci-e 3.0

- PSU Corsair GS800 (800W / 80+ Bronze)

- Game runs on a Western Digital Velociraptor Sata-600 @ 10'000 rpm

- I also have a SSD + another normal hard disk drive

- Case: Thermaltake Element V Black

Cheers, I'll keep you updated :) I'll read all your answers when I'll be fresher and will update my thread.

Edited by Phenzix

It is possible to run the game without Steam, yes. Just download the installer. Although, I'll add that your issue sounds more like a driver problem to me. In my experience, practically any time you verify files with Steam, it will find some to replace -- and that goes double for free-to-play games that patch independently of Steam's distribution network.

If you're going to reinstall the game anyway, might as well try deleting the Warframe folder under C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local to ensure that nothing has gotten mucked up in the game's internal, hidden configuration. Do that after uninstalling, and before reinstalling. If the issue persists, consider reinstalling or rolling back your graphics driver.

After reading all your posts, here's my answer:

As to the driver problems, I am currently running the 314.07 Nvidia drivers. There is something I have just mentionned quickly is that I had to reinstall Windows promptly last week as it had a BSOD when I've turned the pc on, sh**ing up my system :( I normally did reinstall all the drivers but I guess I still miss some common plugins - well, these things don't concern Warframe. Actually, before this BSOD, I never had any problem with Warframe - just launch'n'go. I noticed that Chrome actually has a bad effect on my computer as I had three BSODs in a row while having chrome only opened, now that I surf with FireFox I didn't have any BSODs since then.

Also, I may have badly re-installed some things. My computer manager tells me my hardware is properly configured except one unknown device I can't figure what it is.

Morcant, I gave a look at the Local file on my drive and all the crash reports start exactly when I reinstalled windows. Thing is, also, after setting up my computer, I just reinstalled Steam and launched the game (steam and games are both on my velociraptor - untouched by the windows failure, but I just reinstalled Steam so the Registry would be updated and working), and I remember that the steam UI in-game worked at first, and for some reason it has suddenly stopped working. Definitely a problem here.

Reguarding Steam and Warframe, I'll go trying running the game independantly.

If you're getting a hard crash with a WAR-number code, that generally means you need to contact Support, as something isn't playing nice. If the Steam overlay doesn't appear in-game, then that is certainly a possible reason Warframe is crashing. Do you experience that in any other games? One thing to also consider is that the Steam overlay does not work in 64-bit mode, so if you open the Launcher, and click the cog in the top right hand corner and try to set it to 32 bit mode, does that change it at all? Even though it's less than ideal.

If you do still lack the Steam overlay in other Steam games, then you may want to reinstall Steam, and see if that helps. If not, I would recommend visiting Warframe Support at http://support.warframe.com/ . The chaps there are pretty helpful, and will at the very least be able to point you in the right direction as to what is going wrong.

One thing I would suggest before contacting them though is to locate your EE.log. This is a log file that Warframe produces which makes it much quicker for support to determine your issue. If you're on Windows 7, you can find it at C:/Users/<your user account>/AppData/Local/Warframe/

You may also want to include the launcher.log and preprocess.log, just in case. Also, make sure to take note of which WAR-number you are getting.

Yes, exactly, something went wrong and I don't see what it can be. I'll contact the support with my log files.

Oh, I did not know about Steam's improper running in 64 bits - though it did work before Windows failed (and I remember always putting the game to 64). I'll try that right away, thanks!

I'll include them all these files, thank you for pointing that out :)

Morcant, if I delete these "local" files, there won't be any issue for my account? I guess everything is on the Cloud, but just to be sure lol :D.

Cheers everybody, will try all your suggestions!

Happy Fraggin'

Edited by Phenzix

Also, I may have badly re-installed some things. My computer manager tells me my hardware is properly configured except one unknown device I can't figure what it is.

Morcant, I gave a look at the Local file on my drive and all the crash reports start exactly when I reinstalled windows. Thing is, also, after setting up my computer, I just reinstalled Steam and launched the game (steam and games are both on my velociraptor - untouched by the windows failure, but I just reinstalled Steam so the Registry would be updated and working), and I remember that the steam UI in-game worked at first, and for some reason it has suddenly stopped working. Definitely a problem here.

Morcant, if I delete these "local" files, there won't be any issue for my account? I guess everything is on the Cloud, but just to be sure lol :D.

Yes, the Local\Warframe folder just houses logs and configuration files, crash reporter, etc. It won't harm your account to remove it; the game just rebuilds it fresh when you reinstall.

Reinstalling Windows with other apps still in place can be a thorny proposition. You mentioned Chrome was causing BSODs... was that installed prior to the Windows reinstall? Switching to Firefox may have worked simply because it was freshly installed afterward. In any case, it's best to reinstall most applications, to ensure their respective registry entries are present and up-to-date.

Also, now that I know a Windows reinstall was involved, I have to make the obvious recommendation to make sure all your runtime libraries are reinstalled -- Visual C++, .NET, DirectX, etc., although Warframe itself should take care of the DIrectX files it needs.

If you want to track down what that unknown device is, look around in its properties for its hardware IDs, you should find a string similar to "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_679A&SUBSYS_3000174B&REV_00" and plug the VEN_#### and DEV_#### into Google to identify it.

I did check the local warframe folder and noticed that apart from the settings file, there is indeed no other thing linked to my account. We never know! Numerous saves on games where I spent a lot of hours were lost, so I kinda want to avoid this situation. :D

Concerning Chrome, well... I used to have some BSODs but mostly they didn't appear while I was on Chrome. It was more - to what I thought at the time -  my Wifi card that sometimes disabled itself if I closed the included wifi utility software too soon after logging on my account, or by going on the internet "too quickly" after the computer is setting up, I would have a BSOD (but now I seem to have installed it properly and is very stable). They rarely happened after 7 or 8 hours the computer was on. I also thought I had a bad SandForce Firmware driver on my OCZ Vertex 3, but I have one of the latest versions (and it looks like a pain to update these firmwares aswell :/). Also, after my fresh Windows reinstall I reinstalled all the programs I would need - BUT after I reinstalled Steam, it didn't perform any "first launch setup" on any games I have. Chrome by the way was installed on my SSD in order to keep it fast over time. I also had Firefox before, and as Chrome made a few problems (like any opened page crashing instantly, some loading page failures, etc...) I've installed Opera, and funnily it made Chrome more stable. What a lunatic browser >:(

Ah, now that you've pointed this out, indeed, I need these Visual C++, .NET framework thing, and directx and so on... As steam didn't install them, well, that may be a cause for the problems I have :) I reinstalled everything in 2 hours and rushed things... to my disadvantage unfortunately.

Oh, thank you for that tip, I didn't know that! I'll check it out and spot who's the unknown device hogging mah computer >:] And apparently, it is "ACP\INT33A0":  the port for Intel Smart Connection Technology. Maybe it has a link with my random mouse disconnections... I didn't have any since I reinstalled windows... I'll see what it is all about :]

I didn't have much time today to see how are things, I'll keep you updated as for now.

Cheers!

Yeah... You won't get crashes from not having the .net dependencies installed, simply because they aren't used in Warframe. If they were, Warframe would fail to launch entirely. I'm on my phone at the moment, so I can't be that specific, but have you been able to file a support ticket, yet?

Oh. Well the game did run more decently with Visual C++ and .NET thingy, BUT it still crashes. I have a problem installing the DirectX updates, it crashes all the time and can't access the DXError.log on my computer as it doesn't exist >_< I also have to reinstall steam, so I can make this UI work properly...

Yes, I did contact support :) I was asked to un-check DX11 and PhysX and try how it runs. I'll see that today and keep everybody updated (and I should rename my thread xD my fix isn't a fix).

Cheers guys :)