Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alternative Cover Mechanic Option

Emotitron

I realize Steve specifically stated 'no cover system' and gave the reason why. The reason being that it limits mobility in a game they wanted to keep very run/gun.

I am only sharing this as an FYI that there is a 3rd option, which is a passive cover system. Far Cry 3 seemed to implement it nicely. I am not advocating or dismissing the idea here... and I know half the people reading this came here ready to flame the idea - so relax.

And yes, Far Cry 3 is a 1st person, not 3rd person... but that doesn't matter. The concept is simple. Characters make use of cover if it is in close proximity, but they don't 'stick' to it. All that really changes is that if you try to shoot or zoom with an object in the way, it will attempt to peek/shoot around it.

And I have no idea how to embed video on this forum, so sorry for the link rather than embed.

Edited by Emotitron

Some sort of cover system would be nice, I'm getting sick of being shot till 0 shields when i'm reloading behind a box that looks like it's good cover but in reality i'v got half of my frame sticking out for the enemy for shoot at.

Though don't think sticky cover would work well with warframe, the problem with the system that you are talking about is that it'll cause havoc with the wall running system.

In addition to your suggestion, it would also be nice if they stopped corpus and grineer from shooting through walls.

Yeah, that makes solo runs very difficult, there is is literally no place to hide, they will see and shot through everything.

Some sort of cover system would be nice, I'm getting sick of being shot till 0 shields when i'm reloading behind a box that looks like it's good cover but in reality i'v got half of my frame sticking out for the enemy for shoot at.

Though don't think sticky cover would work well with warframe, the problem with the system that you are talking about is that it'll cause havoc with the wall running system.

Again, I am neither endorsing nor condemning the idea. I am just identifying that this isn't a binary issue. There is something between cover system and no cover system.

It shouldn't interfere with all running though, as all it is doing is changing how the character fires when a close object is between the gun model and the reticle target. The model would never try to adhere to cover on its own. What would change is that rather than having to full body step out of cover to fire your shots, you can zoom/fire while cover is in your way and the game would detect that you cannot hit what you are aimed at (reticle is 3rd person) and lean you to one side or over the top in an attempt to make your gun line up with what your reticle is on. It isn't a trivial programming/animation set task, but it is very possible nonetheless.