Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Beyond The Current Solar System

Cerberus888

In this topic: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/430717-regarding-the-orbiter-compartment/page-3#entry4778821 post #52, I have a idea about the Orbiter that is coming in the future.

While what we get to do in the orbiter is up in the air at the moment, my thought involves the eventual addition of other solar systems as stated in a Dev stream quite a while back. From what lore we have right now, we are currently located in the Milky Way galaxy in the place indicated on the map below (click to enlarge and I really mean it. No really, it is a big image):

national-geographic-milky-way-reference-

Now I don't see why we would ever need to expand beyond our galaxy because the amount of space we have is enormous. My thought came as inspiration from Mass Effect 2 but there are two ideas I am toying with right now. No concept drawings because I am by no means an artist and I don't want to torture you with my drawings. Though I could give it a shot it it garners enough attention.

Idea 1:

The Lotus tells us that Maroo (you know, the one from "Stolen Dreams") has been captured by the Corpus but we have reason to believe that she has important information for us. So we go rescue her but in the process she tells us to hack the three computer vaults (spy 2.0 type of thing). Once the mission is over, the Lotus and Maroo tell us that the Corpus have found hidden Orokin vaults in the void. Our job is to get inside and see if there is anything of value before the Corpus. There would be 3 spy 2.0 missions in the void. After you finish, the lotus tells us that the things in the vaults were blueprints for a ship sensor array, navigation system, and for a hyper drive/slipstream drive/warp drive thing a ma jig. At this point you build the blueprints and you can then travel to other solar systems. Whether or not the other factions have this technology is up in the air.

Idea 2:

Simarus tells us that he has a special target for us to hunt. And he has information to give us in exchange. So after we finish hunting the target (what it is doesn't matter) he tells us to go after a new terminal in the void. We arrive and find information leading us to an infested facility on Eris. We arrive on Eris and hack three terminals (mobile defense) that contain coordinates of something the Corpus had found before being overrun by the infested. We travel to the coordinates which turnout to be a space station. We board it and do some investigation. Eventually Simarus tells us that it is a Void Relay. Orokin technology that uses the Void to travel long distances by bending space-time. We go on to use it and find others in other solar systems that we have to activate (while fighting against the stations defense systems).

The final thought I had was on actually driving your Orbiter. I know that is a tall order, but it doesn't have to happen at once. Something like Mass Effect 2 would work as a first step:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUXeIYUxZ8M

But the ultimate goal I envisioned is going onto the bridge as a tenno and activating the navigation console to select where you want to go (using either the hyper drive or the Void Relay to travel to other systems). Then you walk over to the control console and drive the Orbiter to your destination. You would have to navigate through asteroid belts space debris from Corpus and Grineer battles and other hazards. 

Those are my ideas regarding this topic. Thoughts?

There are still a lot of "planets" in this solar system that can be added.

Also DE stated a while back (I don't have citation) that they are not wanting to go outside the solar system.

There would be the issue of to many nodes. Currently there is an issue with the Void, that most people aren't playing the regular nodes. DE is wanting to fix this. Unfortunately adding a whole new Solar System would renew / continue this issue.

It certainly is a cool idea, but I don't think it would be a good fit for this game.

I think that might a bit too tall an order for DE this is a F2P game after all. one problem would be player base and the idea of having too much i mean look right now some nodes are not even being played because there's no point. new planets might be cool and all but what about a year down the line?. I mean thats the whole reason why their "blowing up the void" because some nodes are not being played. Its a cool idea dont get me wrong but we have to be realistic (in a game about space Ninjas(?))

I think sometimes we ( as in the community) expect too much from DE (new and exciting content, flawless updates ect...)

Edited by slykidd

Good points. Given that they are adding planets, dwarf planets, and moons to the star chart. They have about 160+ moons (not to mention several more dwarf planets). I get your points though. As a F2P game this would be asking too much (I think I got too excited about the Orbiter). I do think that balancing the planet size with the missions per planet is something they should do though. For example, Earth and Jupiter have 15 missions even though Jupiter is 11 time bigger than Earth.

I think sometimes we ( as in the community) expect too much from DE (new and exciting content, flawless updates ect...)

I agree with you. The community has a history of over hyping things.

Edited by erikandrew