Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please Stop Making The Enemies Such One Trick Ponies, We Really Need To Diversify The Abilities Of Enemies.

Eightlock

It took me a lot of soul searching, but as much as I like this game, there is a problem.

The enemies are junk. 

It's not as much that the enemies don't have that much of a diverse portfolio of moves and abilities. I think there is about as much diversity as I'd expect in a beta.

However the number of enemies that use some kind of novel, interesting, or challenging abilities could be counted on one hand.

Furthermore all the other enemies have only one ability, and that is staggering you and knocking you down.

Some people are going to think this is an rant about rollerballs, but I actually @(*()$ LOVE rollerballs, they are maybe the one enemy type with stagger that actually works. It's everything else staggering me that is bland, boring, and frustrating.

But seriously DE, fall out of love with stagger. PLEASE.

Why? The problem isn't that stagger is a challenge to deal with, even the most fragile caster class can more than soak it up, the problem is that it ISN'T a challenge to deal with.

I've come to the conclusion, that the only real downside from being staggered is that it diminishes the quality of the gameplay because you temporarily lose control of your character.

TL;DR give me more enemies with DOT effects, give me more enemies that heal, give me more enemies that are difficult to hit, and more enemies that boost the effects of other enemies. The fact that the biggest reason I want to avoid enemy attacks isn't because I don't want to die, but because I want to have a smooth enjoyable gameplay experience is tragic.

I like your ideas.
NEw enemies are more likely to be added in due time.
A prime example can be a new form of Corpus robot, the Hunter perhaps?
The Grineer can have a much more stealthy enemy, The Blindsight

Infested... take a look at my fan-zone thread for infested ideas.

One thing is with the knockback, any random melee hit from us has a low chance of staggering, and a charge attack has a pretty decent chance on most enemies.

There melee attacks, which are far faster than ours and have decent damage? 100% chance of knockback. And we're the space ninjas?

I see your point, I agree that there could be more diverse enemies, maybe a fast moving low health mid damage wall crawler/jumper would be awesome for the infested, something like an even smaller version of hyena as a medium unit that moves in packs and coordinates, grineer is decent but the gunner/bombard could do with some more variableness in their attacks.

i do like the idea of DOT from enemies, as well as slows, and drains (not instantaneous but the longer you are affected the more you are drained, unlike disruptors) would be nice, grabs (like DS3 or ME3) would be a nice addition too.

They are going to expand on the enemy types or upgrade current ones, like others said

TL;DR give me more enemies with DOT effects, give me more enemies that heal, give me more enemies that are difficult to hit, and more enemies that boost the effects of other enemies. 

OP's tone is kinda arrogant

but still i agree with the TLDR part that i quoted

Agreed OP. And what baffles me is how Warframe and many other games can take a ton of hints from other games such as Killing Floor.
Anyone know the medic class and how he can shoot healing darts at his allies as a secondary attack? F$%k it, bring that S#&$ in for both parties. Have a rough medic with a powerful CQC sub machine gun who also shoots healing darts at his allies.
Also, why not toss in something like a "Deflector", an enemy type with a specialized shield that reflects slashes and bullets and needs to be staggered to take damage (Give him low health so it's fair). Get creative DE, we needs it plox :3

Edited by Ninjaman999

Shield osprey : buff friendlies

Mine osprey : launch drain leach

Ancient Disruptor : drain energy & shields

Fusion moa : detaches head to shoot you, can fire a continuous damage beam normally

I agree with all enemies having 100% knockdown with all attacks issue, that really bothers me as well.

The rollerball really annoys me because it seems much better than the Grineer clones. I feel the Grineer would rule the universe if they stopped making useless clones and build an army of cheap rollerballs to knock us down and hump our legs, thus keeping us stun locked until we die of starvation.

BlueEden - "I feel the Grineer would rule the universe if they stopped making useless clones and build an army of cheap rollerballs to knock us down and hump our legs, thus keeping us stun locked until we die of starvation."

That was beautiful LMFAO

To all those that say "Just wait" or "Beta is beta"

Your job as a beta-tester is to give feedback for what does work and what doesn't.

The dev team might have their own ideas, but they are looking for the testers to not mindlessly soak up everything.  They want us to actually and honestly give our ideas.

Please don't dismiss others for doing what a beta-tester should.

Enemy variety needs to be addressed, and it needs to be addressed soon.

There need to be more challenges in the game that create depth and encourage and maybe even require strategy.

Right now, hitting something until it dies is the only strategy.  That works for a while, but this game has the potential to be so much greater.

That =/= challenge

That = artificially inflated difficulty

Then stop playing so good :P

Personally, I'm not as much a fan of challenge as I am of playing as gracefully as possible.

I love running around and trying to make the most visually appealing sci-fi ninja movie possible for my own self indulgence XD

Odd how we all play our games no? :3

I'd like to put forward the following ideas for new enemies.

Corpus

MOA.B. (Mother of all bombs). Bomb on legs. Walks up to a player, begins to flash, then detonates with the effect of an ancient disruptor attack in an area of effect. Can be destroyed from a distance to trigger the effect on enemies.

Arc MOA. Comes as a pair which shoot lightning bolts between them (High shield damage, low health damage) and try to flank players. Destroy one and the other will attempt to charge a player and explode.

UAV Operator: Hides and releases a flying drone with high armor and shields. Easiest way to kill it is to find the hiding crew member and kill him.

Sniper MOA: Equiped with a sniper rifle and a powerful shield against ranged attacks(easily killed with melee attack), this one is programmed to turn and run away if an enemy gets too close.

Snagger: MOA with a 'net gun' that dramatically reduces player speed, and then starts a powerful forward-facing shield. Kill the MOA to release the net (easy for another player to do, hard for the netted player to do). Anti-rush and teamwork encourager.

Grineer

Lieutenant: Has a special attack that deals no damage, but causes all Grineer in the area to focus their attacks on the target and become very aggressive.

Behemoth: Large unit, slow speed and has a devestating melee attack. Very high armor, and the critical spot is on its back. Very easy for 2 players to take down, pain in the arse for a solo player. Does not spawn on solo player maps.

Warped clone: Occasionally spawns on a behemoth's shoulder. Uses the Mag 'pull' ability on players to pull them into Behemoth smashing range. If killed, the behemoth dramatically speeds up.

Defective clone: Suicide bomber. Little armor, crazed yell, charges nearest player and explodes.

Mugger: If this fast enemy hits you with melee, it takes some of the resources you have gathered that level and runs away. Kill it to regain the resources.

Infested

Clinging spawn. Jumps on the back of a player, slowing them to half speed. Easy to shoot off but needs another player to do it. Doesn't spawn on maps with just one player. Always drops some resources. Anti-rush and teamwork encourager.

Bile dropper. A patch of goo on the ceiling, when a player walks underneath it drops the goo onto them, dramatically lowering their speed, locking their melee weapon, and causing all infested in a large area to focus on that player. Can be shot from a distance to disarm. This is an anti-rush and atmosphereic element, as players will quickly learn to be a bit more cautious when going through an infested level.

Wall climbers: More an AI issuse than 'new enemy', but if the chargers could crawl on the walls and ceiling it would be amazing.

Bile charger: Leaves a trail of toxicity on the ground that deals damage to players standing on it. Has a tendency to break off and simply run around, making it a priority target if you plan to be fighting in an area.

Conglomorate: Appearing as many infested fused into one being, it shuffles slowly towards the players and has a functional gun (light damage, but would be the first ranged infested). When killed it breaks apart into crawlers, chargers and runners, and drops a bunch of ammo. Fun flavorful enemy that releases a mini-swarm when you kill it.

Controller: This infested has an extra-large head and, if you get too close to it, can mind control a player to attack the others. During this time infested do not attack that player. Killing the controller releases the player. Has a limited duration and a particular controller can't apply the effect on the same player more than once. Could be devestating if you miss one of these in a swarm and suddenly one of your allies has joined the swarm.

I'd like to put forward the following ideas for new enemies.

Corpus

MOA.B. (Mother of all bombs). Bomb on legs. Walks up to a player, begins to flash, then detonates with the effect of an ancient disruptor attack in an area of effect. Can be destroyed from a distance to trigger the effect on enemies.
Arc MOA. Comes as a pair which shoot lightning bolts between them (High shield damage, low health damage) and try to flank players. Destroy one and the other will attempt to charge a player and explode.
UAV Operator: Hides and releases a flying drone with high armor and shields. Easiest way to kill it is to find the hiding crew member and kill him.
Sniper MOA: Equiped with a sniper rifle and a powerful shield against ranged attacks(easily killed with melee attack), this one is programmed to turn and run away if an enemy gets too close.
Snagger: MOA with a 'net gun' that dramatically reduces player speed, and then starts a powerful forward-facing shield. Kill the MOA to release the net (easy for another player to do, hard for the netted player to do). Anti-rush and teamwork encourager.

Grineer

Lieutenant: Has a special attack that deals no damage, but causes all Grineer in the area to focus their attacks on the target and become very aggressive.
Behemoth: Large unit, slow speed and has a devestating melee attack. Very high armor, and the critical spot is on its back. Very easy for 2 players to take down, pain in the arse for a solo player. Does not spawn on solo player maps.
Warped clone: Occasionally spawns on a behemoth's shoulder. Uses the Mag 'pull' ability on players to pull them into Behemoth smashing range. If killed, the behemoth dramatically speeds up.
Defective clone: Suicide bomber. Little armor, crazed yell, charges nearest player and explodes.
Mugger: If this fast enemy hits you with melee, it takes some of the resources you have gathered that level and runs away. Kill it to regain the resources.

Infested

Clinging spawn. Jumps on the back of a player, slowing them to half speed. Easy to shoot off but needs another player to do it. Doesn't spawn on maps with just one player. Always drops some resources. Anti-rush and teamwork encourager.
Bile dropper. A patch of goo on the ceiling, when a player walks underneath it drops the goo onto them, dramatically lowering their speed, locking their melee weapon, and causing all infested in a large area to focus on that player. Can be shot from a distance to disarm. This is an anti-rush and atmosphereic element, as players will quickly learn to be a bit more cautious when going through an infested level.
Wall climbers: More an AI issuse than 'new enemy', but if the chargers could crawl on the walls and ceiling it would be amazing.
Bile charger: Leaves a trail of toxicity on the ground that deals damage to players standing on it. Has a tendency to break off and simply run around, making it a priority target if you plan to be fighting in an area.
Conglomorate: Appearing as many infested fused into one being, it shuffles slowly towards the players and has a functional gun (light damage, but would be the first ranged infested). When killed it breaks apart into crawlers, chargers and runners, and drops a bunch of ammo. Fun flavorful enemy that releases a mini-swarm when you kill it.
Controller: This infested has an extra-large head and, if you get too close to it, can mind control a player to attack the others. During this time infested do not attack that player. Killing the controller releases the player. Has a limited duration and a particular controller can't apply the effect on the same player more than once. Could be devestating if you miss one of these in a swarm and suddenly one of your allies has joined the swarm.

This. I support this idea and sincerely hope DE looks into implementing enemies like this.

I like your ideas.

NEw enemies are more likely to be added in due time.

A prime example can be a new form of Corpus robot, the Hunter perhaps?

The Grineer can have a much more stealthy enemy, The Blindsight

Infested... take a look at my fan-zone thread for infested ideas.

Stealth grineer enemy? You devious bastard, I love this idea.

Edited by Eightlock

I strongly support most of them, but there are a few I take issue with.

Grineer

Infested

Snagger could work, although it would be a fine line between a fun teamwork element and just being frustrating. Mugger is kinda awful, it screws over players without actually adding any challenge. You could alter it to, I don't know, putting a bomb on you that you have to kill him to disarm, maybe. Clinging spawn is nervo-lite, and is bad for the same reasons. I really, really shouldn't have to explain why Controller is an awful idea.