Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Challenging Bosses

Jin-

Bosses. They are a bit easy, almost all of them can be zerged down really quickly. They need different mechanics and abilities that prove a challenge to a player.

Are there thoughts about making bosses abit more challenging, having these named mobs that strike as a huge threat to the Tenno and then end up being giant push overs have been disappointing to me.

I am a pretty big gamer and have been spoilt to think bosses should be difficulty and gut wrenching at times to make taking them down give off that epic feeling of accomplishment.

Anyone else have thoughts/opinions on bosses currently?

Should they be more difficult besides your general stomp the ground knock-down aoe spells?

Is damage the only way to down a boss or can other objectives during a boss fight determine if you succeed or not?

Some suggestions i can offer are:

1. A damage immune boss, no spells/melee/guns work on him and the way to down him is to destroy energy pylons that power his shields/armor/whatever. While being swarmed by enemies.

2. A time limit boss, has X amount of hp(Increased/decreased depending on number of people in the group to allow soloing) and the group have a time limit to take the boss down before he "Runs away" or "Escapes".

3. Multiple Bosses, 2 or more bosses with 'shared' health and each boss has different fatal abilities we have to watch out for.

4. Boss that disallows the use of Guns via...some ability so you can only use Melee weapons to take him down.

Im not sure if this is addressed in the past but i didnt see any one ask this during livestream 5 so thought id throw it out there.

I also agree. As of now most of the bosses feels like "mid-game" bosses. The only one that feels like a boss is the Jackal, which you have to take the legs before the body, but it's almost just standing under him with a two-handed weapon using charge attack.... All the other bosses are just hitting them until they are death, no challenge, just shoot or beat 'en up and hide to refill shield again :(

So, more unique bosses please :) Take some inspiration from Legend of Zelda, Shadow of the Colossus or other games with epic boss fights.

Edit:

Idea: A big boss (corpus/robot type) that you can only attack at the weakspots which are revealed before/after attacking. The attacks change after time or after a certain % of hp is gone. 

Edited by Daubikkja

Well we should keep this thread bumped and visible if everyone is on the same page as I.

But yes they feel like "Elite Mobs" more than "Bosses".

I mean when your undergeared the bosses are somewhat difficult. but they should not get outclassed that quickly once u get decent gear. So intuitive bosses that wont get outscaled by players gear for late game :)

I think they mentioned in Livestream 3 that the bosses would be getting revamps in order to have more interesting mechanics. Next in line is the J3-Golem. 08:35 in

But in general, yes, new boss mechanics would be awesome!

Currently, apart from the Jackal in Fossa, Venus, all other bosses are essentially high shield, high hp, high damage (any combination of the three) of regular enemies.

This makes them nothing more than boring enemies whose difficulty comes from a prolonged fight which when given enough shield, hp and damage, any player can easily take them out.

We really need bosses that are more unique and not just enemies with higher stats.

Possible boss types that are frequently used in game are:

~ Boss that spawns enemies. Usually these bosses are invulnerable until the spawns are killed.

~ Boss that is invulnerable or too fast/powerful to hit until something in the environment is destroyed. Usually is something(s) that, when destroyed, traps the boss in place for a short period.

~ Boss that duplicates itself. Usually players have to find the real boss to cause damage to it. (I think there is one in the game already but he should be able to do it constantly and the waypoint should point to his duplicates as well, otherwise what's the point?)

~ Boss that has a hidden weak spot. Usually players have to destroy the certain weak spots on the boss first before the hidden weakspot is exposed. This is what the Jackal is.

Of course, there are more variations than what I listed but essentially, please make the bosses require something to be done first before it can be damaged or take more damage.

From my old thread: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/33672-more-interesting-bosses/

Although I agree with you, I think some people like these "bosses" to be easy so they can get in and get out without spending too much time or thought into fighting a boss.  As for possible buffs or unique mechacnics, I'll list what I know.

-  Overall, faster moving bosses

-  Like you said, bosses who are immune to certain types of damage (never should a boss be imune to melee, or else ammo and warframe power will be relied on, way too much)

- Bosses that can either heal itself after a certain amount of time, or kill a nearby grinner or infested, and thus gain its health.

-  Better ability of picking out an enemy to attack without an delaying when switching

- If not change the boss, then change the boss battleground where you fight, like add more objects for cover and stuff

- Bosses have the ability to cause events to happen while fighting (say, in corpus map, he can open a hatch and let in re-enforcements, or flood the lower level of a grinner map with lava or something to prevent people from fleeing.

- A far out idea that would be fun, is one that the boss can teleport himself, and everyone else,out of the boss area, and stop at some random part of the map.

- Let bosses throw things

- Some bosses have a last second self-destruct ability.  Allows only 3 seconds to move (maybe 2 if you feel the need to make it tougher)

- Boss could transform, just like how the Moa Fusion bot works.  After X damage is taken, the boss changes into a better boss, or a weaker yet faster or high damage dealer, type of boss.

That's all I could think of.  One minor thing I hope they address in their 8.0 update, is that the pictures used to show what the boss looks like in lobby, and in the game, should match what they really look like.

Aswell, perhaps more backstory or just story relevance for the bosses. Each boss is given a short introduction and backstory by the Lotus but I think many people would like to know more about them. How does assassinating them affect the universe? What are their motivations and why are they motivated as they are? Just as examples: we all know the Grineer are a cloned army but Tyl Regor seeks to improve the genetic uniformity but is killing him any better for the solar system, and why is the Jackal the only intelligent Corpus proxy we've seen and what of his unique design?

As well I like the parkour idea above mine.

Edited by Tyre

dark souls kind of bosses will be a great thing. but i assume it would not happen. sadly. and overall making enemies to deal more damage will be great thing. making game harder will require cooperation. no rushers if you can't survive alone.

Edited by n7snk