Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is This Game, And What Is It To Become?

Emotitron

As a break from the silly OP/UP discussions, I would rather ask a bigger question.

What is this game? As it is unfinished it is hard to tell what it plans to become when it grows up.

Will it become a framework for user-defined dungeons - sort of like D&D in the form of TPS?

Will it become an endlessly scaling random dungeon crawler more like a diablo?

Will it become an endgame raid game more like WoW instances?

Will it remain what it is now just with difficulty levels added and new mobs/architecture slowly being added?

If you want my honest opinion, I think the devs are working their way up slowly to more large-scale maps.

A game of this level of graphical innovation and animation would take a long time to optimize for more open-world gameplay. I think the game will never end, as it would defeat the purpose. It's hard to tell how they will expand beyond this point, though the team hasn't disappointed us yet.

What I'd like to see is something like player-created servers, each having their own created dungeons and adventures; something like the hardcore maps in Minecraft. If I had the guts to do so, I would talk to the dev team and give some suggestions.

For now, I'll sit and let those more experienced deal with it. An inquisitive question, a great way to start a thread.

The mod system leaves me a little flat (the big joy of a dungeon crawl is collecting unique goodies). I think the mod system could work if it is just a small component of the big customization picture, but as the core of customization it is very bland. It is hard to get as excited about repetitive playing card looking mod drops. I hope they revisit the idea and add other customizations that are far more visceral. They are restricted to non-warframe/weapon drops since all of those things are obtained other ways and are intentionally limited in numbers. They could however add all kind of augmentation slots to frames/weapons on top of the generic mod slots. For example the ability to install alternate vision sensors for eyes (heat vision, xray vision etc) to your eye slot. Borrowing augmentation ideas from Deus Ex would open the door for all kinds of possible augmentation drops to get excited about.

Every other area of the game I really like what they have done. If they can work out:
1. The future of scaling

2. Ways to make the enemy more diverse/smart/cooperative

3. Ways to make the loot exciting

4. Ways to make teamwork and metagame (choosing the right toys for each mission) meaningful

Then I will be with this game for a long time no matter which direction they go with it.

My POV on how Warframe will evolve?

Hmm... Update8 will allow players to create their own dungeons (Clan dojo). If DE decide to expand this idea, each clan can buy/create more tileset and make a unique dungeon out of the existing tileset, place AI/trap inside it plus a boss at the end of the level.

This will turn Warframe into psudo-dungeon master game with TPS element similar to Natural selection. Sounds fun to me.

And yeah, they can keep adding more tilesets/enemies and those weekend operation.

Edited by neKroMancer