Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Issues With Launcher/updater Running On Usb Flashdrive

AluminumHaste

I play warframe, a lot. On many different computers.

3 different ones at work, 4 different ones at home.

There's 0 reasons to have Warframe installed on every single computer.

I run it off a very fast USB 3 flashdrive (SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB: http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/drives/extremepro3) and this works great on the computers, even on the USB 2.0 ports at work, I usually beat people into missions.

I just played Warframe at work off this flashdrive on Sunday the 24th. Everything went fine, was all up to date.

Today I let my son play on my computer and played on my laptop that I haven't used in about a month.

So I plug in the flash drive, and I run the launcher on my laptop. But the first thing that happens is that the launcher downgrades itself to a version from January or earlier and restarts.

Then it checks for updates, decides that the up to date files on my flashdrive or out of date, deletes them, then starts downloading 1.5 GB of data.

Basically the launcher deletes, then re-downloads files for no reason.

I don't know if this is because the launcher checks some registry keys instead of actually doing a file checksum to see if the files are actually up to date. If that's the case, that's a pretty dumb archaic way of checking install integrity.

Please fix this, I've spent almost a thousand dollars on this game, and I'm at the point where these things happen and I stop playing for days/weeks out of pure disgust.

If I only have 40 minutes to play a few quick survivals, but I have to spend 35 minutes redownloading up to date files.....That leaves 0 time to play the game. IE there's no point in continuing to play.

And why is the downloader so.....god.....damn....slow?

My internet here speed tests at 15Mbps, yet I never see this downloader go over ~4 Mbps (~504KB/s). I can load up Steam and start a game download and get 1.7-1.9MB/s without any dips.

That doesn't do anything to fix the problem described.

When plugging the flash drive into a new computer, and running the launcher, the launcher acts as if it doesn't know where it's installed to and asks for a location.

Which is dumb, warframe is installed to the same location as the launcher, just one directory up.

It then reverts to some older version, then deletes a bunch of files and redownloads them.

It's clearly checking some registry key for the install directory, and upon not finding it, falls back to some default behaviour.

What it SHOULD do is check it's local directory tree for the needed files, and download only what's missing, and not ASSUME that everything is broken.