Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can Someone Track The Ip Of Posters And Act On It When Necessary?

_Rue_

Some people are accusing some people of being alts logging in one account or another to post something bad that might affect the community. I'm sure the IPs can be tracked, can someone just check and moderate based on that?

Some people are accusing some people of being alts logging in one account or another to post something bad that might affect the community. I'm sure the IPs can be tracked, can someone just check and moderate based on that?

thats kind of obvious , i was a supreme moderator for End Of nations and you can easilly track those sort of things , however nothing good can be done about it cause no matter how much you ban they will always come back and making new ones or they will use a proxy thats if the have HWID bans etc etc

If you start banning because two posts with different names come from the same IP nos, you end up banning families playing from home and students using campus internet; bloody silly idea.

well he isn't asking to do that in general, but to a suspect who does silly things and might deal some damage to the community. That's what the mods are doing, and no, not simply starting to ban two poster with different names in the same ip. just clearing something that might become blurry.

If you start banning because two posts with different names come from the same IP nos, you end up banning families playing from home and students using campus internet; bloody silly idea.

Usually there is a malicious pattern of some sort to follow. And most places have a "declaration" policy where you can declare that you have multiple family members using the computer or whatnot.

yea me and my dad both play from home and if you banned our ip then we both would get stuck

thats kind of obvious , i was a supreme moderator for End Of nations and you can easilly track those sort of things , however nothing good can be done about it cause no matter how much you ban they will always come back and making new ones or they will use a proxy thats if the have HWID bans etc etc

Yep, pretty much. I can track IP's in the other forums where I'm a mod on and I'm quite sure this forum's software has that capability as well. In a smaller niche community forum where almost everyone knows everyone in real life, just some research and digging around meant I could say with certainty that a member has multiple accounts for sockpuppet purposes (trolling/marketplace deception) and swing the banhammer with no doubts.

However for such a large userbase like Warframe's with thousands of users all around the world this is much more difficult along with the other reasons stated above e.g. players in one household.

I guess we'd leave it to the mods to be vigilant, they're doing a very good job of cleaning up the forums so far. :)

No, just no. Banning because of multiple accounts has never done any good form what i've seen.

The tradition is however that when you want to ban someone for making multiple accounts. They have to say it in a post that they made more than one account. (Where multiple accounts aren't allowed, some moderators go all nazi on those people and ban both the account that posted and ban the other account they claimed to have if they named it.) Luckily we don't have nazi mods here, i haven't even received a single warning! (and that's for stuff i've been banned on other forums for)

i remember Nexus modsite forums banned me for using 1 very basic cussword (i wasn't being disrespectful towards anyone, it just sortof snuck into my post). they banned everyone for such because they were too lazy to implement a filter... silly them right? and then i made another account and complained about how strict those rules about cussing on the forums were, i mean it's not like they don't have 18+ mods in there... and i got that account banned aswell for multiple accounts (cus i stated that i was complaining about my old account being banned.) And my IP was banned, but with a dynamic IP an IP ban is nothing.

All that trouble just because of too strict forum rules. I don't feel like i did anything wrong, do you?

Edited by rabcor

No, just no. Banning because of multiple accounts has never done any good form what i've seen.

The tradition is however that when you want to ban someone for making multiple accounts. They have to say it in a post that they made more than one account. (Where multiple accounts aren't allowed, some moderators go all nazi on those people and ban both the account that posted and ban the other account they claimed to have if they named it.) Luckily we don't have nazi mods here, i haven't even received a single warning! (and that's for stuff i've been banned on other forums for)

i remember Nexus modsite forums banned me for using 1 very basic cussword (i wasn't being disrespectful towards anyone, it just sortof snuck into my post). they banned everyone for such because they were too lazy to implement a filter... silly them right? and then i made another account and complained about how strict those rules about cussing on the forums were, i mean it's not like they don't have 18+ mods in there... and i got that account banned aswell for multiple accounts (cus i stated that i was complaining about my old account being banned.) And my IP was banned, but with a dynamic IP an IP ban is nothing.

All that trouble just because of too strict forum rules. I don't feel like i did anything wrong, do you?

What you are describing is different from "sockpuppetry".

You were making another account to bypass a ban. A "sockpuppet" is different and is meant to be used alongside another account to act as a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill'>"shill" or for other kinds of malicious intent.

As to your story, you fully admit to breaking 2 rules (that you agreed to abide by, by virtue of you posting in that forum) in succession and then ask for validation that you did nothing wrong... Unfortunately, I do not know how to reply to that, sorry :(

Yes there are ways to track IP addresses and determine whether the account in question belongs to a particular IP.

However, it is possible to make it look as if someone else's ip look like the one originally posted from and quite a few other tricks.

So generally only the dumb ones get caught / sucessfully repelled and thankfully, the dumb ones make up an overwhelming majority of the sort that would do / are capable of doing this kind of thing.

Whatever can be done is being done already, probably.

In the meantime, care has to be balanced between these types and regular forum users, especially in a beta like this game is in now where feedback is so critical. Forum users need to feel that they can post without worrying about being banned at the slightest misstep.

I think a lot of people aren't seeing the point, although some do.

This is a "just in case" contingency where people start doing stupid things. If IPs are visible to the mods per post (under their avatar) that that would be an easy spot.

No Point in banning for sharing a computer or an internet connection, right? I think we all agree on that. :)