Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controls Are Too Streamlined

Litego

I am sure it is made this way in order to make it viable with a controller. But I ask of you, please split at least some of the movement features to separate keys. I absolutely hate accidentally air sliding into a box and have my character start climbing it, it's deadly! I did not want to climb that box, why are you doing this?! And I can't cancel the climb either, so I have to sit there and watch my character spend 3 seconds dying while climbing a box with 20 enemies around it.

Edited by Litego

You can change the controls you know. -_-

No he's saying one bind does more than one thing. Regardless of what key you bind it to.

I still disagree. This stuff doesn't happen unless you hold the key. I have found the controls to be both 'not mainstream' and very effective once I got used to them. I do agree that the one glaring flaw is the backflip off of walls. If you can't climb all the way up something the backflip shouldn't happen without more input IMO.

Personally I take more of an issue with the lack of being able to cancel animations such as the auto climb.  That said allowing abilities to be mapped to separate buttons is no skin off my nose as long as we can still have the combined option. People with smaller hands or less dexterous digits already have enough buttons to deal with >.>

I would like if the character had the ability to climb sometimes only when you press the crouch key, since that helps you get to some places already, other than that I have no real problem with the controls. But "controles are too mainstreamed", Really? it kind of made the thread sound as a joke.

Edited by Grabehn

The controls irk me, they didn't feel very streamlined at all when I started playing, of course you get used to them because of constant play.

If I was to run up a wall to a ledge, you should automatically grab the ledge when it is reached, as long as you don't release jump, releasing jump anywhere along the wall should push you off it and backflip like it currently performs.

Right now you have to press a completely different button near a ledge while wall running to correctly get onto it.

I'd also love the ability to grab and hold onto ledges without climbing them, would make stealth play a bit more interesting.

Edited by Spooghetti

Well let's see...

We have the standard directional keys (forward, backward, left strafe, right strafe).

We have a key for swapping weapons.

We have a key for shooting.

We have a key for aiming.

We have a key for melee.

We have a key for blocking/deflecting.

We have a key for opening doors/interacting with the environment.

We have (several) keys for selecting powers/abilities.

We even have a separate key for casting said powers/abilities.

We have a key for jump.

We have a key for sprint.

We have a key for crouch.

We have a key for marking waypoints.

We have a key for displaying teammate names/health bars.

We have a key for summoning/applying inventory items.

What's that in total? 20+ keys? And that's "too streamlined" for you? Seriously?

You want even more buttons to micromanage? You do appreciate this is not World of Warcraft... right? 

You want even more buttons to micromanage? You do appreciate this is not World of Warcraft... right? 

The fact that you are basically pressing a button to perform one action 100% of the time, and afterwards hoping the following action bound with that key will/won't kick in is like playing Russian Roulette in this game. Whether you live or die depends on how the game feels. Does it want you to latch onto that nearby box you were trying to jump past? Or does it let you just slip past it like you intended? 

I want control of my game. Just because you can't handle an additional key doesn't mean it shouldn't be an option for those who like to be in control.  It's a similar situation as people who like to use gamepad. It's an option, it's there for those who would like to use it. Now give that same treatment to the keyboard & mouse. Make it an option. 

I wish wall running was not angle locked.  You would run in whichever direction you pointed, lose momentum as you angle up, and gain momentum as you angle down.  No additional keys needed.

I wish grab&climb was activated by the interact key instead of being automatic.

I wish the rolling landing wouldn't continuously chain if you roll off of something, and that the flat landing animation didn't lock you in place for so long.

I wish we had some degree of air control.

I wish the jump, fallen enemy, and stealth attack animations were faster and could be canceled.

I wish more of the various melee attacks were actually worth using.

I wish flipping all over the place made it harder for enemies to hit you instead of only the other way around.

I wish block was useful.

Edited by Effusion-

The fact that you are basically pressing a button to perform one action 100% of the time, and afterwards hoping the following action bound with that key will/won't kick in is like playing Russian Roulette in this game. Whether you live or die depends on how the game feels. Does it want you to latch onto that nearby box you were trying to jump past? Or does it let you just slip past it like you intended? 

I want control of my game. Just because you can't handle an additional key doesn't mean it shouldn't be an option for those who like to be in control.  It's a similar situation as people who like to use gamepad. It's an option, it's there for those who would like to use it. Now give that same treatment to the keyboard & mouse. Make it an option. 

There's a difference between asking for ONE more bind option or slight refinement to the parkour/combo system and insinuating the game has been dumbed down for the gamepad user. The latter is what I was objecting to.

I want control at least as much as you do. Sure, there are occasions when an intended backflip turns into an unwanted bellyflop, but those occasions are relatively rare (and usually, my fault). However, if every other action for you is tantamount to playing Russian Roulette, I'd suggest you might need a little bit more practice before assuming one extra hotkey is going to turn things around.

I wish wall running was not angle locked.  You would run in whichever direction you pointed, lose momentum as you angle up, and gain momentum as you angle down.  No additional keys needed.

I wish grab&climb was activated by the interact key instead of being automatic.

I wish the rolling landing wouldn't continuously chain if you roll off of something, and that the flat landing animation didn't lock you in place for so long.

I wish we had some degree of air control.

I wish the jump, fallen enemy, and stealth attack animations were faster and could be canceled.

I wish more of the various melee attacks were actually worth using.

I wish flipping all over the place made it harder for enemies to hit you instead of only the other way around.

I wish block was useful.

This! Does not add more keys, but adds much more control to the player, which is what I'm really asking for.

Edited by Litego