Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Do You Copter (Lots Of Detail Please)

(PSN)lupowolfen

Question

Hi, I am a long time player and hear the term "Coptering" used all the time.  I know its using your melee weapon to move much quicker than you could run.  But I would appreciate it if all of you could chime in with details starting with the very basic ones.

1.  What do you equip to start coptering?

2.  What actions and buttons do you press to copter and whats the best way to keep going?

3.  What types of terrain and maps are best for coptering?

4.  In what situations do you use coptering?

5.  Any other comments or tips for coptering?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

20 answers to this question

How to Copter:

Tipedo. Modded with Fury.

Sprint.

Jump.

Press CTRL while in mid air.

Press E immediately after.

Rinse and repeat.

It is basically a mid air slide attack that launches you across the air like a slingshot. You can use coptering in a lot of situations, particularly rushing.

Coptering is best done in open maps where there is a lot of space to cover. But people copter everywhere, so terrain isn't really a concern to them.

Coptering is going to get nerfed soon in Update 17.

Edited by X3Evanescence

How to Copter:

Tipedo. Modded with Fury.

Sprint.

Jump.

Press CTRL while in mid air.

Press E immediately after.

Rinse and repeat.

It is basically a mid air slide attack that launches you across the air like a slingshot. You can use coptering in a lot of situations, particularly rushing.

Coptering is best done in open maps where there is a lot of space to cover. But people copter everywhere, so terrain isn't really a concern to them.

Coptering is going to get nerfed soon in Update 17.

He's on PS4 though, so it's sprint, jump (forward), slide (mid-air), then melee.

And yes OP as X3Evanescence mentioned here coptering will be nerfed, so you might not want to become dependent on it now.

Use any melee weapon, slide and hit your melee attack.  It works better with weapons like the Tipedo, Scoliac, Lecta, Attrax, Orthos (Prime) than other weapons due to their high attack speed and range.  If you want to copter spam, which I really don't like, use the above weapons.  

sprint then jump => mid air press crouch to perform mid air slide => then use the button for quick melee

equipment staff , swords , daggers is best do not know where orthos and tipedo belong but they are good too

terrain -> it can be done anywhere

situations -> speedruns or if you can't get somewhere with normal actions

tips -> when mid air do the buttons fast;with out the jump button is a normal spin attack after slide you can train with that

Edited by Kostadin

sprint then jump => mid air press crouch to perform mid air slide => then use the button for quick melee

equipment staff , swords , daggers is best do not know where orthos and tipedo belong but they are good too

Orthos is a polearm. Polearms generally have the best directional melee force with a reasonable slide-attack (copter) force.

Tipedo is a staff. Staffs generally have the best slide-attack (copter) force and a directional melee force that's right behind polearms.

In theory, any melee weapon can copter. Some are far better at it than others though, and equipping Fury enhances the effect.

Exact control sequence is Sprint > Jump > Crouch (results in Airslide) > Quick Melee (results in airborne melee slide attack)

Large flat areas are best for coptering, minimal things to get in your way and alot of ground to be covered in a hurry.

I use coptering all the time. Only time i dont is when i use an air melee attack to get some vertical hieght.

Since I'm pretty sure everyone has answered how to copter, here are some movement tutorial vids that I found very useful when I first started playing Warframe, just in case you don't know some of the other cool and useful moves yet.

Edited by Sci_Ant

1.  What do you equip to start coptering?

2.  What actions and buttons do you press to copter and whats the best way to keep going?

3.  What types of terrain and maps are best for coptering?

4.  In what situations do you use coptering?

5.  Any other comments or tips for coptering?

1. Any melee will do fine but there are others that will fling you further than the rest. Try D. Zoren if you want, then Tipedo.

2. I don't know the PS4 controls so substitute the controls given by the other players here.

3. Mostly plain, flat terrain will benefit the most but any terrain is viable anyways as long as you can control you copter efficiently.

4. I use coptering to either keep up with the others, escape, cross wide gaps etc.

5. Just keep on coptering, you'll eventually be able to copter faster and with more precision.

-snip-

5. Just keep on coptering, you'll eventually be able to copter faster and with more precision.

And with weapons that have longer slide-attack animations, you can actually get a near-perpetual swing going.

I do this with the Galatine sometimes for a more versatile/mobile version of Broken Bull (Cleaving Whirlwind stance) that I call "Poor Man's Whirlwind". It also spins the other direction as Broken Bull, seeing as copters go clockwise and Broken Bull is counter-clockwise.

If you're really good at timing your frame's sprint time (sliding and hitting melee the exact moment you start actually sprinting. One way to get good at it is to practice waiting for yourself to either start losing stamina or start the sprint animation), you can even do this with the faster melee weapons like swords, daggers, whips, and even staffs if you get good enough and their attack speed is low enough (you can't spin constantly with a 5.65x speed Tipedo because the animation is 5.65x faster and sprint time cannot be changed by any means).

EDIT: Tipedo base is 1.1. Max speed changed.

Edited by MrBubbleSS

A couple of other salient points; 

Minimizing the time between the slide and the attack is important. Basically what happens is the slide gets a slight speed boost, which the copter magnifies. You can also use these 'stacking boosts' mechanisms to launch yourself off of a wall, as starting a wallrun has a speed boost too. WallRun->Slide->Copter will launch you much farther, but is much harder to do (and relies on having a wall handy).

The speed boost from the attack is effected by melee attack speed. The speed boost from the slide is affected by Rush and Maglev.

The 'effectiveness' or range of a copter is determined by how long you hold the melee attack button - a quick tap of it will not send you as far as a long press. This can be used to artificially shorten the distance you travel, important when using effective weapons and a speed boost like Speed or Warcry.

If you're attacking enemies along the way to activate Berserker, Tipedo is arguably the best copter weapon, with a great directional melee as well. If you're skipping past enemies or shooting them, Ceramic Dagger has the farthest copter but the directional melee is not amazing.

You know how to do a Slide Attack, yes? A spinning melee attack while sliding, which provides a short speed boost.

Well, Coptering is simply doing that in midair.

This is in contrast with aerial melee, aka directional air melee or 'flinging.' This is simply a midair melee attack, usually used for extra vertical distance.

I see you've never used Fury/Berzerker on a Tipedo before...

I just tried berserker out on tipedo.  It's about as fast as a ceramic dagger.

You don't have to trigger the berserker with the ceramic dagger, saving you a bit of time for capture missions.

I will say that tipedo seems to be better for normal missions though, with higher damage and all that.

Edited by Uberclocked