The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Massive Solomode Survival Bug (Needs Further Testing)

DiosGX

FORWARD: Let me start this off by saying I do not know 100% of this game's enemy spawn code for survival missions. However, I do believe I am pretty good at guessworking game code through experimentation and observation.

I have not completely, fully tested this yet. I have only discovered this just yesterday and I tested it for roughly 2 hours, but it needs to be checked out on as many maps and tiles as possible. Maybe others will test this as well and we can determine if I'm just a stupid pothead or this is a real thing.

Sup guys I think I found a pretty massive trick/bug/way to abuse the system and allows soloing survivals up to 5 hours or more to become nothing but a tedious chore rather than something that requires focus and attention.

So here's the deal: I like Mesa. I play Mesa a lot. Especially in Survivals, and doing them solo because Shooting Gallery stays only on me the entire time, and provides a wonderful stunning tool for the infested if they get too close.

When using Peacemaker, I tend to go with the Microwave Popcorn rule. If I don't hear enough pops within a certain time frame (at least 8 shots within 5 seconds) then I tend to cancel out and go pick things up, or change my location.

So yesterday, I was doing exactly that, when I paused the game to go change my music selections on my 2DS watching Youtube vids. When I unpaused, I thought it was odd that I was able to Peacemaker a fresh wave of 20 enemies. I mean, I just killed like 22 of them. I expected a bit of a lull between their showing up.

So I killed them all... and paused it again. For about 20 seconds or so. When I unpaused, there, again, a giant 15~ enemy wave was within my immediate vicinity and within Peacemaker range in a few short seconds.

I thought, wow, I  must be getting lucky with where these guys are spawning in. They've all gotta be spawning real close or something.

So I sat there, holding left click... and nothing was happening for about 10 seconds or so. Then one enemy shows up... four enemies show up... slow chunky ancients move up... okay those are all dead now. Waiting... waiting... waiting... k kill this wave. ETC

Then I started pausing again between waves. Looking at my energy reserves, watching my remaining life support and then it started to hit me. 

Enemies continue to spawn-in while the game is paused in Solo Mode

They do not advance toward the player, but they very much do seem to be spawning in and gathering in large hordes whilst it is paused. This allows people to completely cut out the lulls between enemy attacks where your life support drains down while you have nothing to kill to refill it.

I was sitting at 95% life support for half an hour without ever touching a LS totem, because I was basically controlling time and giving myself enemies to fire at in absolute perpetuation.

As I've stated above, I have not tested this on all tilesets and rooms. That would take a long time and require many people. I do feel, however, using Mesa's peacemaker as a timing tool from frequency of shots vs. energy pool remainder, and just seeing your LS absolutely never tic into any danger at all, is a very brazen example of the fact this seems very legit.

Edited by DiosGX

imo, they should just get rid of the stupid LS req and make survivals not have a mission fail (like excavations) so when everyone in the party is down the mission ends.....that is TRUE survival...not dying due to lack of air (WE ARE FREAKING SPACE NINJA)

also, from the little testing ive been doing (Jupiter DSD) at only 7 minutes in..i really dont see any difference between a normal solo run and what you described....

Edited by xcynderx