Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Can't I Run Games?

Ilikebagels

Just to start off you must know that I'm not using a PC I'm running a laptop.

So yesterday I bought farcry 4 because it got sorta good ratings and it has a good reputation so I decided to give it a try.

I can run warframe on the highest possible graphics with Nvidia particles on 60 frames with no drops but I still have to give my laptop's information.

Intel core I7 5500U 2.4GHz with turbo boost up to 3.0GHz

Nvidia Gforce 820M with 2GB dedicated VRAM

8GB DDR3 L memory

8GB SSD+ 1000GB Hybird  HDD

Now I'm no professional but I think that's semi decent.

So I tried running far cry 4, I set it on the lowest possible graphics and it merely ran 20 frames, Why? I looked up the requirements and I have the maximum requirements. I also tried removing my battery and running my Laptop on high performance but it didn't do much change, but the thing isn't about Farcry 4 it's about any new game, but the question remains why? Why am I limited to Warframe? as it is the only good game that I like.

And just saying I'm not from a country that speaks English so mine isn't perfect sorry!

Any way if you care for a person who needs help in this deep internet world.

i'm afraid here are the problems:

1 - your CPU is only 2 Cores, 4 Threads. 4 Cores minimum would be recommended.

it is also a low power CPU, so suffers more than a Desktop version would.

2 - very, very low end GPU. infact, i'd be surprised if that GPU meets the minimum Requirements(which in fact, after checking, it does not). *

3 - Notebook Architecture. it's weird. Desktop Hardware is all standardized, but Notebook Hardware... you could say it's 'random'. stuff is weird, and not officially supported anywhere. your own Video Drivers (no matter what brand GPU), are not officially supported. the official statement from all GPU manufacturers is that Mobile Chips either work or they don't, and aren't supported. if they work, great. if they don't, oh well.

the biggest problem here, is the GPU. basically, no offense, but it isn't a Graphics Processor. it's a Media Accelerator. it's designed for playing Youtube Videos and taking advantage of in some light games such as GPU accelerated Flash Games.

it is by no means, designed for games. that 2gigs of vRAM is pretty pointless for it, it'll never be able to use it. just not enough processing power for it to need that much Memory.

- - - - -

Warframe is extremely CPU dependant. GPU matters very little, you can flip off most of the bells and whistles.

Warframe is also generally fairly localized. what i mean, is that as much as possible is put into 'stasis' when you're not near it. it's not unloaded, but basically, if you're far away from an area on a map, Enemies and anything else in that area, is effectively turned off like a lightswitch.

Multiplayer sessions must track all Players the same way though, so if 4 Players are all spread out, Performance takes a big dive. but if you're playing alone, Performance should be superb.

this will presumably be why Warframe runs well for you.

- - - - -

i assume you mean an 80GB SSD? an 8GB SSD... well, they don't exist.

- - - - -

*:the Geforce 820m should be about comparable in Performance to Iris Pro 5100.

which puts it only slightly higher than Intel HD Graphics 4600.

in other words, it's capable for light gaming. simple games like Team Fortress 2 will hit CPU bottlenecks before GPU bottlenecks as long as you run video settings fairly low.

to put in terms of Desktop GPU's, Far Cry 4 recommends a GTX 460 as the minium GPU requirement.

your 820m is a very noticable bit below the expected performance of a GT 430.

for reference, that series would go, GT430, GT440, GTS450, GTX460.

with the GTS 450 being the first GPU in the series actually intended to be used in games. the ones before, are not really recommended to use for Video Games. you can make them work in some places, but are not recommended.

Edited by taiiat

i'm afraid here are the problems:

1 - your CPU is only 2 Cores, 4 Threads. 4 Cores minimum would be recommended.

it is also a low power CPU, so suffers more than a Desktop version would.

2 - very, very low end GPU. infact, i'd be surprised if that GPU meets the minimum Requirements(which in fact, after checking, it does not). *

3 - Notebook Architecture. it's weird. Desktop Hardware is all standardized, but Notebook Hardware... you could say it's 'random'. stuff is weird, and not officially supported anywhere. your own Video Drivers (no matter what brand GPU), are not officially supported. the official statement from all GPU manufacturers is that Mobile Chips either work or they don't, and aren't supported. if they work, great. if they don't, oh well.

the biggest problem here, is the GPU. basically, no offense, but it isn't a Graphics Processor. it's a Media Accelerator. it's designed for playing Youtube Videos and taking advantage of in some light games such as GPU accelerated Flash Games.

it is by no means, designed for games. that 2gigs of vRAM is pretty pointless for it, it'll never be able to use it. just not enough processing power for it to need that much Memory.

- - - - -

Warframe is extremely CPU dependant. GPU matters very little, you can flip off most of the bells and whistles.

Warframe is also generally fairly localized. what i mean, is that as much as possible is put into 'stasis' when you're not near it. it's not unloaded, but basically, if you're far away from an area on a map, Enemies and anything else in that area, is effectively turned off like a lightswitch.

Multiplayer sessions must track all Players the same way though, so if 4 Players are all spread out, Performance takes a big dive. but if you're playing alone, Performance should be superb.

this will presumably be why Warframe runs well for you.

- - - - -

i assume you mean an 80GB SSD? an 8GB SSD... well, they don't exist.

- - - - -

*:the Geforce 820m should be about comparable in Performance to Iris Pro 5100.

which puts it only slightly higher than Intel HD Graphics 4600.

in other words, it's capable for light gaming. simple games like Team Fortress 2 will hit CPU bottlenecks before GPU bottlenecks as long as you run video settings fairly low.

to put in terms of Desktop GPU's, Far Cry 4 recommends a GTX 460 as the minium GPU requirement.

your 820m is a very noticable bit below the expected performance of a GT 430.

for reference, that series would go, GT430, GT440, GTS450, GTX460.

with the GTS 450 being the first GPU in the series actually intended to be used in games. the ones before, are not really recommended to use for Video Games. you can make them work in some places, but are not recommended.

Well I didn't bother reading through that and I knew that the answer was no.. well thanks for helping any way, now I know to get a PC next time.

A big waste of 1k dollars.

A big waste of 1k dollars.

yikes!

pretty decent Notebooks cost way less than that. it definitely sounds like you overpaid. by a lot.

i would have expected a notebook with components like that to be priced in the ~$600 USD range.

i have a feeling the last ~$200-300 of the price was the 80GB SSD and 1TB SSHD. (which is probably really a 1080GB SSHD, rather than two separate drives).

or something. the price was way higher than it had any right to be. unless perhaps it's an Ultrabook platform or something along those lines.

Edit:

(correction, that actually makes sense. a 1TB Hard Drive with 8Gigs of Cache for much faster processing of recent data. so nevermind on all of that)

Edited by taiiat

yikes!

pretty decent Notebooks cost way less than that. it definitely sounds like you overpaid. by a lot.

i would have expected a notebook with components like that to be priced in the ~$600 USD range.

i have a feeling the last $200-300 of the price was the 80GB SSD and 1TB SSHD. (which is probably really a 1080GB SSHD, rather than two separate drives).

or something. the price was way higher than it had any right to be. unless perhaps it's an Ultrabook platform or something along those lines.

It did come with 1 year norton service for 3 devices and 3 years warranty on software and hardware, well that doesn't matter now does it?