The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Wip) Archer Frame Rebuild

CataReverb

I have this in fan concepts somewhere, abandoned.  Before I revisit the concept's powers, I'm going to be working on appearance.

On the final touches, I'm going to reduce the amount of bright red, except on the helm.

First full attempt (completely scrapped):

Nothing is being kept from this, except the archer theme, maybe the hood and gi/skirt thing

8WcN4EB.png

Second Helm attempt:

While not as terrible, I came to realize that the hood is a good touch, and the problem is in the face appearance.  I want to keep the Noh Demon mask, but keeping that with the minimalist warframe asthetic is like oil and water.

dqI03EL.png

Second Arms attempt:

While I look at this, the only thing I really want to change from here is the color scheme.

VDuJKdI.png

Before I put together a second full attempt, I'm going to go for a new (third) helm and legs, a compromise between hakama and dress pants is subtle, but doesn't work in the striking sense, and isn't quite in warframe theme.

All criticisms are welcomed, just note that I know it needs a bit more polish.

Edited by Arkinvas

With the way Warframe is right now and always has been, I would honestly remove the hood. You can make the helmet look like it has a hood, like how Mesa's helmet insinuates having a blindfold bandana without it actually being a bandana, but I wouldn't actually give it a real hood over the helmet. It doesn't fit the aesthetic all that much. Other then that, I'd like to see where this goes.

• 3 weeks later...

New helmet (ver 3)

wCSWZxJ.png

I'm dropping all of the reds for a less of a contrast, at least for the moment.  I can't say this is the final pallet, but getting rid of the oni-mask look, since Ash P kinda has that, I'm going with more of an owl look, given what owls represent (high vision, feathers relating to archery.)  I figured it'd work well with the sort of look I'm working towards.

I don't like thinking of this as yet another bird inspired female frame, (ember on phoenix, Zephyr, maybe Nyx) but that's the way it's shaping out.

With the way Warframe is right now and always has been, I would honestly remove the hood. You can make the helmet look like it has a hood, like how Mesa's helmet insinuates having a blindfold bandana without it actually being a bandana, but I wouldn't actually give it a real hood over the helmet. It doesn't fit the aesthetic all that much. Other then that, I'd like to see where this goes.

I'm working on an insinutated hood.  Though drawing this Version 3, I realized overwear is sort of a thing in Warframe (especially with vests on Banshee, Mesa, skirts on Trinity and Saryn, maybe others) the problem would be in an organic attachments of helm to the frame, so I get where you're coming from... I think this version might work for that.

Nice concept, could use a bit of work though to be honest. No offense intended.

None taken.  TBH, I need a lot of practice, though I can say that, as a WIP, I'm not putting enough time into it.

it's a nice concept. we could use some more range frames in the game. So far the only frame that visible shoots at enemys with her abilities is mesa, so you should definitely keep working on this.

Thank you.  I have a broken concept somewhere that's both outdated and poorly conceived.  I'm going to try to do replies each time I update, to avoid bumping myself.

Edited by Arkinvas

Redone the new helm, there were a lot of problems I didn't like about yesterday's version, the faceplate was meant to resemble a beak and a germ mask, but it wasn't supposed to be a beak, reducing the separation between that part and the rest of the head should make it seem more integrated and less of an attachment.  The horn part had this in spades.

The helm looked asymetrical, which it wasn't supposed to be, just a poor selection of angles and not thinking thru the full skull placement.

C3Zcjcw.png

Care must be taken to avoid having this look too similar to a mirage helmet, which seems the way the design would flow if I cut the vertical angular bit in the middle, no matter how tempted I am.  Maybe I'll think of something else to do with that area.

• 2 weeks later...

VeCA1ML.png

I think I'm going to enlarge and simplify the face gloweys to reduce the amount that they resemble eyes, given the rarity of implied eyes in most frames.  I also feel that I might need to bump up the resolution before my next attempt, since I ended up working at the pixel level, which doesn't work as well with photoshop.