The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Pathing Responsible For Host Fps Tanking?

TehJumpingJawa

First a synopsis of my system:

Phenom II x6 1055T @ 3.36GHz

HD 5870 @ stock

FTTC 77Mbps down, 20Mbps up.

Warframe running @1920x1080 fullscreen, min detail, vsync off.

Now my observations when hosting a grineer mobile defence map (primarily Ceres, Kiste):

- With 4 players and small mob encounters my machine is coping just fine; 50-60fps.

- The fps starts to dip (20-30fps) a few minutes after the first hack objective has begun. Could this be trapped mobs beginning to pile up?

- By the time we get to the final defence objective fps is tanking hard. (5-10fps)

- Once the objective is complete and all the mobs in the objective room are dead, the fps improves a little. (15-20fps)

- Our team then goes outside and systematically kills every one of the stragglers; all of whom are far from the objective. There are no more than a dozen in total.

- fps is restored to its initial level.

Seems to me that those relatively small number of stragglers are having a disproportionately large impact upon performance.

Obviously this is purely conjecture based upon very limited personal observations and no inside information on how the evolution engine handles this kind of stuff.

No doubt DE have investigated this issue thoroughly & have been able to profile their code to identify the bottlenecks.

So, can we expect significant performance improvements in the U8 update? and in particular for hosts?

Edited by TehJumpingJawa

If in doubt add ram. We have it playing on three machines in our house and have no issues like that. Ones an old quad core with a 1 gig nvidia card. The others are laptops with i7's so obviously no worries there. Perhaps yours is the exception to the rule?

RAM will not help you that much, if you got 4GB your okay with 6 your fine.

Running 16GB RAM just cause i use Photoshop and that is a RAM hungry program.

But the main issue here is the CPU, there have been various questions asked.

A i7 CPU as host seem to be working out great i never have any issue's with lag if i host a full party.

I've had this drop to around say 5fps (I wasn't measuring at the time, but it was freeze-frame stuff), a couple of times this week, and I believe I was hosting both times. But in my case it drops straight to unplayable from smooth sailing, and then maybe 10-20 seconds later, it carries on as if nothing happened. Will start running Fraps or similar to keep closer tabs in case it happens again.

But my question was - does it seem like the same issue?

Similar for me as well, got an old i5 750 @ 3.6Ghz (still fast enough for pretty much all games) and a GTX 560 Ti SC. Only 4Gb memory though but haven't had any problems cause of that in any other games, except some minor issue in BF3 but don't play that anyway.

Sometimes Kiste runs perfectly fine, other times the framerate is terrible, usually it is terrible if I'm host. If I'm not host it's usually laggy as heck instead. Have noticed that my CPU usage is usually a lot lower than normal when I get bad framerate.

Since I have no problems in any other games I play atm, I'm not gonna upgrade anything. I'm just gonna wait till my PC becomes obsolete in a few years before I buy a new one. I guess new consoles being released are gonna result in games becoming more demanding.