Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Buying A New Laptop

(PSN)Strifedecer

So I've begun college, and figured its about time I got myself a laptop. With a budget of around Dhs. 2000 ($1 = Dhs. 3.65) I've set my sights on the HP 15-r205, which is priced at Dhs. 2199.

Now, two things:

1. Has anyone here used this laptop? Any advice?

2. Most of the web stores here in UAE say it has 8 gigs of RAM, but the HP website says 6 GB. What's up with that?

Edited by (PS4)Strifedecer

Most of the web stores here in UAE say it has 8 gigs of RAM, but the HP website says 6 GB. What's up with that?

it looks like 15-R205 is a series of Notebooks, not one in particular.

therefore i can't help (hopefully yet) because i don't know what Notebook in particular you're talking about. searches have atleast 5 models that have '15-R205' in their name.

going to need the full Model Number to be able to see full spec sheets.

it looks like 15-R205 is a series of Notebooks, not one in particular.

therefore i can't help (hopefully yet) because i don't know what Notebook in particular you're talking about. searches have atleast 5 models that have '15-R205' in their name.

going to need the full Model Number to be able to see full spec sheets.

Well, you obviously know more than I do, so would you mind if I just link you up to the store page?

Thanks a million.

Edited by (PS4)Strifedecer

-snip-

yes, i did happen to browse that page previously...

but that Model Number can't be right. no results from HP at all, the only results being from websites that... don't look trustworthy, and don't have source links to the full spec sheet for the notebook so i can make sure it's correct.

the information on that Website is definitely not correct. there's a lot of typo's/formatting errors, and a distinct lack of full information, only providing vague things without any model numbers so you don't have any idea what's actually for sale.

(come to think of it, that 'HP logo 15' on the 'screen' doesn't match the quality level of the rest of the image, i have a feeling stock images from HP were taken, and then the model name that would have been on the 'screen' removed, and replaced with generic information)

i.e. i think the model is called something else, but i don't know what it's 'real name' is.

now, HP has a model with a similar Model Number, but it isn't the same one.

the specs probably differ because the one on HP's website would be a current model, while that one with vague information is... unknown.

however, if i ignore the odd information on that Marketplace Website, if these are the same products, well, i hope you're not planning on doing anything Video Game related on this, because this Notebook can't. the 'GPU' (it's a Media Accelerator) is basically nonexistent.

the Processor is acceptable considering it is a Notebook.

i'm horrified that it has an RJ-45 jack, but it only supports 10/100.

not surprised but not impressed with a 5400RPM Hard Drive.

i am not thrilled with the Display. more of a first world complaint, but i don't think 1080p is unreasonable to ask for [in] a Notebook.

but i do see quite a few legitimate problems with this Notebook, dumb Hardware decisions. i can't recommend buying it, which isn't what you want to hear, but from my perspective, this is a ripoff compared to a lot of other products that Notebook Manufacturers create.

whether those many other products are available from Retailers in your region, i don't know. it does look like that Notebook might be Manufactured specifically for the Middle East region though... for some reason.

but, if you're looking for a Notebook primarily for life tasks like E-Mail, Word Processing, general Application work, Et Cetera - this is fine for that.

but it's much too limited in what it's capable of doing for me to be able to say yes.

again, note that this is upon assuming the model that HP has on their website is the same model you're looking at. the information on that MarketPlace is too vague for me to be able to identify if it is the same Notebook.

Edited by taiiat

From this website I can tell you it is an older model of this line:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-notebook---15-r230nr-%28energy-star%29

I'll see if I can dig anything else up on it.

Found it:

http://www8.hp.com/emea_middle_east/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=7639948#!tab=specs

Specs:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-5200U with Intel HD Graphics 5500 (2.2 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)

Factory memory: 6 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 2 GB, 1 x 4 GB)

HDD: 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 820M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)

Display: 39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal HD BrightView WLED-backlit (1366 x 768)

I/O: 1 HDMI, 1 headphone/microphone combo, 2 USB 2.0, 1 USB 3.0, 1 RJ-45, 1 multi-format SD media card reader, SuperMulti DVD burner

Also for OP, it says the RAM in it is 1 x 4GB card and 1 x 2GB card. So if the store page has 8 GB it is likely they had the 2GB card swapped out with another 4GB card.

All in all it's not a powerhouse with the graphics card, CPU, and even the HDD.

This is very much an economy laptop, good for text based processes, and internet browsing. It would not run many games, especially most new AAA titles, even on the lowest settings.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen