Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Platinum Doesn't Buy Very Much, Does It?

Fortune_Silver

While i get that, being a free to play game, this is where they make the bulk of there money, i think that the current pricing for buying items with platinum is, to put it bluntly, insane. for example, the glaive goes for 150 Platinum. if memory serves, that equals around $10 US. Really? i could buy whole new games for that much on steam. and dont even get me started on warframe pricing. even with the potato and free slot, that just isnt worth the price. the high price associated with buying with platinum at the moment is actually DISCOURAGING me from paying with platinum. i would recommend price cuts on EVERYTHING in the stores. 

Thoughts?

...I don't think you can get a player to turn down a price drop.

But the best way to make this point to DE is to do what you're already doing: speak with your wallet. Don't buy platinum if you don't feel it's worth it.

If DE stops making platinum sales, they'll have no choice but to increase its value. If there are particular items that aren't selling well, they'll have to lower their price to compensate. It's economics.

Edited by A5PECT

The most I would recommend is a flash sale once in a while.

To lower the current pricing will have serious consequences.

Just imagine if you bought a 300 plat Vauban today but 2 days later they decide to make it cost 100 plat from then on.

You effectively lost 200 plat and you might get unhappy.

Now multiply this by the number of people who bought him.

Then multiply this again by the number of items that gets a reduction in plat cost by taking your suggestion.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

Plus, the fact that starter weapons are now harder to get means my original argument on just getting a frame and sticking to potatoes with 50 bucks as an argument for new players who wana dive in is harder to mak since it's gona be a crazy grind till the first couple awesome weapons from BP allow them to get hooked :(

Edited by Ninjaman999

This game is completely free to play besides the essential things costing money such as warframe/weapon slots. Those are the only things in my eyes that I would pay money for, or even the colour packs as an accessory boost but everything else such as warframes and weapons I find to be an absolute waste of platinum. I believe people who tend to use platinum on warframes/weapons are lazy players because you could simply put in just a bit more effort and you'll be able to get that warframe absolutely free.

I've seen many topics of this nature around the forums, however I would argue that when it comes to content it is actually more fun to earn the gear through playing. 

Initially I bought a $50 founders pack, which came with a bunch of platinum and an extra warframe. Now that is usual price for a new release AAA title after a discount, and considering that this is a constantly updating game where new content is being added all the time I actually think I'm getting more than  my money's worth in the long haul. I have made another small addition to my platinum of five dollars, which allowed me to purchase some weapon slots and blue potatoes. I have six warframes currently, having bought three, started with two and built one. Everything else I've bought with in game currency and earned through playing - which was much more rewarding in truth. I love the thrill of smelting the components you ventured through the galaxy to find and getting shiny new gear for your effort. 

I would argue that their system is a little bit steep, but it encourages you to be wise about your purchases. 

Good thing they offer a way to get things with credits and crafting, so why are you complaining if you aren't using the service? I'm only assuming you don't since you think it's overpriced. Not gonna say I understand the work behind the whole cost, but it's up there for a good reason, not just to take money from the players. Haven't found much to turn me down, maybe some weapons shouldn't really be priced at what they are now, but frames are fine where they're at.

The most I would recommend is a flash sale once in a while.

To lower the current pricing will have serious consequences.

Just imagine if you bought a 300 plat Vauban today but 2 days later they decide to make it cost 100 plat from then on.

Now multiply this by the number of people who bought him.

Then multiply this again by the number of items that gets a reduction in plat cost by taking your suggestion.

This is true, but if they lowered the prices and KEPT Them lowered, everyone in the future would benifit from these cost reductions. seems stupid to keep the price up to prevent people who already bought stuff from getting unhappy. even then, we could ask for a mass refund on the difference mabye? if you REALLY insist. 

This game is completely free to play besides the essential things costing money such as warframe/weapon slots. Those are the only things in my eyes that I would pay money for, or even the colour packs as an accessory boost but everything else such as warframes and weapons I find to be an absolute waste of platinum. I believe people who tend to use platinum on warframes/weapons are lazy players because you could simply put in just a bit more effort and you'll be able to get that warframe absolutely free.

Good thing they offer a way to get things with credits and crafting, so why are you complaining if you aren't using the service? I'm only assuming you don't since you think it's overpriced. Not gonna say I understand the work behind the whole cost, but it's up there for a good reason, not just to take money from the players. Haven't found much to turn me down, maybe some weapons shouldn't really be priced at what they are now, but frames are fine where they're at. while this is great (really, I love the crafting), the prices are out of whack right now, and need to be adjusted.

well yes and no here, the weapons that got converted to BPs are fairly expensive, so it ALMOST makes sense to spend plat on it, since it's rather hard to get (taking the furis as an example, 2 neurodes, and 300 alloy plates, which require you to get all the way through earth generally.) And keep in mind, gear should be a bit more friend towards new players, not old players, because they generally (or atleast I do) have enough resources to make whatever they want, whenever they want.

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1

Vauban. Glaive. these are BOTH weapons that are either pure chance from alert blueprints, or pay with platinum, and if im not mistaken, there are more things along those lines. i wasnt complaining about the effort required to get stuff, in fact ive actually gathering the schematics and materials for the rhino armour for a few days now. my point was that everything is so expensive to buy with real money, and that this is affecting both the players, who dont want to spend the absurd amount of platinum on market purchases, and the Devs, who due to said uneasiness over the high prices actually get LESS from people who decide its just not worth it.

Its affecting everyone, players and Devs alike.

It is possible to mitigate that by lowering prices slowly.  A 5% price reduction every 2 weeks would be much better recieved than a 30% price cut immediately. 

But anyway, I do think that lowering the prices of weapons and warframes would make them much more appealing.  Tribes: Ascend had this exact same issue.  Most weapons were $10 or more, and it really made me avoid buying them.  Getting a new weapon for $4-5 would actually be tempting (assuming I didn't actually want to farm for it). 

I'll be giving money to this game regardless of what happens to the weapon and warframe prices (I gave money to Tribes: Ascend as well), but in all honesty I'll be sticking almost exclusively to warframe slots, weapon slots, color palates, orokin catalysts, and orokin reactors unless something changes drastically.  

This is true, but if they lowered the prices and KEPT Them lowered, everyone in the future would benifit from these cost reductions. seems stupid to keep the price up to prevent people who already bought stuff from getting unhappy. even then, we could ask for a mass refund on the difference mabye? if you REALLY insist. 

Mass refund is highly unlikely. It is asking the developers for cash back when they could have already spent them.

The only thing I can recommend is for the developers to price future additions into the market lower. Actually they might already be doing this seeing how Vauban cost 300 and not 375.

I believe altruism isn't something everyone or the majority tends to have thus, I do not recommend lowering prices of existing goods that have already been sold and risking existing buyers' wrath while hoping their wrath will be appeased with the understanding that this will benefit future buyers, who very likely may not be them (since they already bought what they need).

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

Mass refund is highly unlikely. It is asking the developers for cash back when they could have already spent them.

The only thing I can recommend is for the developers to price future additions into the market lower.

I believe altruism isn't something everyone or the majority tends to have thus, I do not recommend lowering prices of existing goods that have already been sold and risking existing buyers' wrath while hoping their wrath will be appeased with the understanding that this will benefit future buyers, who very likely may not be them (since they already bought what they need).

well, not really. It doesn't cost them anything to generate more platinum, it's just pixels, and they have an infinite amount of it. They could easily give every player several million tomorrow (which would be dumb). And they've recorded how much plat each player has bought, so they could give out that much to each player if they lower the prices (i.e. price reduction by 10%, give players 10% of however much platinum they've bought)

...I don't think you can get a player to turn down a price drop.

But the best way to make this point to DE is to do what you're already doing: speak with your wallet. Don't buy platinum if you don't feel it's worth it.

If DE stops making platinum sales, they'll have no choice but to increase its value. If there are particular items that aren't selling well, they'll have to lower their price to compensate. It's economics.

You just killed the entire point of "Suggestions" and stuff !

God , Why do you people are like this ?

The best way is to buy Founders pack !

The only thing I can recommend is for the developers to price future additions into the market lower. Actually they might already be doing this seeing how Vauban cost 300 and not 375.

I agree, mass refund wouldnt really benifit anyone in the long run. just a suggestion to appease the angry hordes in the event that they DID cut prices. 

You just killed the entire point of "Suggestions" and stuff !

God , Why do you people are like this ?

The best way is to buy Founders pack !

Not sure if you're sarcastic here (hard to tell, tired and sarcasm doesn't translate over the internet very well) but no, buying a founders pack is supporting them, buy not buying you're saying "I don't think it's worth my money", compared buying which says "This is worth my money"

well, not really. It doesn't cost them anything to generate more platinum, it's just pixels, and they have an infinite amount of it. They could easily give every player several million tomorrow (which would be dumb). And they've recorded how much plat each player has bought, so they could give out that much to each player if they lower the prices (i.e. price reduction by 10%, give players 10% of however much platinum they've bought)

If I gave you $100 for an item.

I am planning to buy something from you in the future for another $50.

Assuming you give me back $20 because you decided to make the first item cost $80.

I will only require an addition of $30 to buy my second item.

In other words, you earn a total of $130 instead of $150 from me, an existing buyer who have already used the first item.

Plat is an item that is infinite in supply. However, it is also a currency that allows you to buy other things.

By having 75 Plat, you actually have USD 5. It may be a one-way conversion from USD to Plat however, it's value is still USD 5.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

If I gave you $100 for an item.

I am planning to buy something from you in the future for another $50.

Assuming you give me back $20 because you decided to make the first item cost $80.

I will only require an addition of $30 to buy my second item.

In other words, you earn a total of $130 instead of $150 from me, an existing buyer who have already used the first item.

but I have an unlimited amount of it, that takes no time to make (well, it takes a few seconds, but that's nothing) so what do I care? I'm happy to make repeat customers, no reason to be greedy, and lose customers from the backlash as the overpriced item is now more fairly priced.

(edit more thoughts)

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1

KvotheTheArcane1, on 21 May 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

well yes and no here, the weapons that got converted to BPs are fairly expensive, so it ALMOST makes sense to spend plat on it, since it's rather hard to get (taking the furis as an example, 2 neurodes, and 300 alloy plates, which require you to get all the way through earth generally.) And keep in mind, gear should be a bit more friend towards new players, not old players, because they generally (or atleast I do) have enough resources to make whatever they want, whenever they want.

For new players, yes I understand their view and take on this whole change, but if it's something that has been standing since closed beta, I would agree with the change. It sure does seem to favor those who have been here long before but it still makes sense. The resource drop rates have to change, that AND/or the amount it takes to build certain weapons/gear should change. A Grakata takes 500 Alloy Plates, insane for something not as good as say, a Braton! The Glaive takes a hefty amount of the easier-to-get resources, but when it comes to some resources, it is a pain indeed. I have loads of resources, so yeah sucks to hear new players complaining and not being able to craft a lot of anything, but then agian, U8 is what is trying to bring more teamwork in, getting those new players in a clan, set up for shared resources and once more, that also makes sense to me, changes that will have solution in the future, at least in this situation.

For new players, yes I understand their view and take on this whole change, but if it's something that has been standing since closed beta, I would agree with the change. It sure does seem to favor those who have been here long before but it still makes sense. The resource drop rates have to change, that AND/or the amount it takes to build certain weapons/gear should change. A Grakata takes 500 Alloy Plates, insane for something not as good as say, a Braton! The Glaive takes a hefty amount of the easier-to-get resources, but when it comes to some resources, it is a pain indeed. I have loads of resources, so yeah sucks to hear new players complaining and not being able to craft a lot of anything, but then agian, U8 is what is trying to bring more teamwork in, getting those new players in a clan, set up for shared resources and once more, that also makes sense to me, changes that will have solution in the future, at least in this situation.

It'd be wonderful if a clan could help new players build weapons, but there will be players who don't want to join clans for whatever reason, and that still doesn't fix the price, or the fact the clan has to take a risk with their resources on a player who may or may not stick around.

but I have an unlimited amount of it, that takes no time to make (well, it takes a few seconds, but that's nothing) so what do I care? I'm happy to make repeat customers, no reason to be greedy, and lose customers from the backlash as the overpriced item is now more fairly priced.

(edit more thoughts)

An unlimited supply does not equal to unlimited demand.

Using our earlier example, if the market (assume only I'm buying so I'm the market) only wants $150 ($100 +  $50) worth of items from you, you can only earn $150 maximum even if you can supply infinitely.

By giving me cash backs, you effectively earn less since after buying $100 worth of items from you, I only want $50 worth of items more.

Now you give me back $20 so all I give you is $30 more and that is all.

The other issue is

If you had the $100 I gave you from our earlier example and spent $90 on store rentals, R&D, maintenance and other miscellaneous expenses,

would you give me back $20 after you reduce your price?

You would end up bankrupt with no guarantee of me ever buying anything else from you.

Unless you are psychic, you cannot know how much the market wants from you. It could be $150 worth of items but it could also just be $100 worth of items.

It is a big risk.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

I don't claim to be a professional in economics, and I won't claim to be, but I would imagine that the prices are so "steep" because of the few items in the market. As the game grows and expands, more content will be released, which will broaden the market. With an increase in marketable items, they could afford to cut the prices (I for one think the colors should be sold for ~25-50 Platinum each).

But maybe they won't; instead offering weekly, or monthly, sales on items in the market? Say about 25-50% off? It's hard to say, but given that the game is still being worked on, and as I've said before, the market is limited on items, I don't see any rational reason why they'd cut prices now. Maybe later, but not now.

Edited by Spriggs

An unlimited supply does not equal to unlimited demand. If the market only wants $100 worth of items from you, you can only earn $100 even if you can supply infinitely.

If you had the $100 I gave you from our earlier example and spent $90 on store rentals, R&D, maintenance and other miscellaneous expenses,

would you give me back $20 after you reduce your price?

You would end up bankrupt with no guarantee of me ever buying anything else from you.

It is a big risk.

That seems to be a different case, since they're not giving you your money back, they're giving you more of their unlimited supply for free, since they're reducing prices across the board. I might not give you your $20 back, but I would offer you $20 worth of the product (I have unlimited, so what do I care?), and if I don't, I have your money, and we made a deal before $X for Y, I don't HAVE to give anything, but it's good for my reputation if I do (which is pretty valuable, look at EA's rep and how it suffered with the always on/sim city fiasco)

It'd be wonderful if a clan could help new players build weapons, but there will be players who don't want to join clans for whatever reason, and that still doesn't fix the price, or the fact the clan has to take a risk with their resources on a player who may or may not stick around.

Off topic, you're by far the only person who doesn't resort to insulting and going off, so HIGH FIVE! : D

But back on topic *ahem*...yeahp, I would have totally been one of those (mainly because I was never into the whole "clan" idea) but I really got into the game early so I eventually joined a clan. But even with complaints and pleas DE would probably want to stick to THEIR idea of teamwork, unity, all that warrior type stuff, you know? /: which kinda punches some of these new players in the face. It will suck, no doubt, but I don't see how catering to a select few maybe 5%? I wouldn't know how to estimate it, but they would stick to this and then rethink stuff, maybe, if things starting going more their way or something.