Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Platinum Doesn't Buy Very Much, Does It?

Fortune_Silver

Off topic, you're by far the only person who doesn't resort to insulting and going off, so HIGH FIVE! : D

But back on topic *ahem*...yeahp, I would have totally been one of those (mainly because I was never into the whole "clan" idea) but I really got into the game early so I eventually joined a clan. But even with complaints and pleas DE would probably want to stick to THEIR idea of teamwork, unity, all that warrior type stuff, you know? /: which kinda punches some of these new players in the face. It will suck, no doubt, but I don't see how catering to a select few maybe 5%? I wouldn't know how to estimate it, but they would stick to this and then rethink stuff, maybe, if things starting going more their way or something.

:D thank you. I admit I do insult sometimes, but after ~20 "rhino IS was op nurf waz gud" without any reasoning or arguments it's hard to not to.

But back on topic, If DE reduced and changed alloy plates to something else (rubedo, plastids, etc), then reduced the prices by ~60% of the recent weapon changes (minus end game stuff like the hek/gorgon) it'd be a start at the very least (if not a complete fix), and then removed some of the rare mat requirements on some of the weapons (i.e. the skana/bo require rare mats, and the furis requires TWO neurodes :P)

I've said it before but DE needs to slash the majority of their prices. Hold weekend sales to promote people to buy things they otherwise might never have looked at (maybe even toss in some bonus mod packs if you buy something on sale?) because as is platinum and the current market prices areally doesn't make a lot of people want to buy it.

Hell even look at colours, for cosmetic colours the prices are ridiculous. A more interesting option would be to let us pay a smaller price for individual colours, or buy the whole pack for a cheaper price. So maybe the plat equivalent of like a dollar per colour unlock. Sure to unlock the whole pack would be expensive, but if you didn't want the whole thing then it'd be great.

That seems to be a different case, since they're not giving you your money back, they're giving you more of their unlimited supply for free, since they're reducing prices across the board. I might not give you your $20 back, but I would offer you $20 worth of the product (I have unlimited, so what do I care?), and if I don't, I have your money, and we made a deal before $X for Y, I don't HAVE to give anything, but it's good for my reputation if I do (which is pretty valuable, look at EA's rep and how it suffered with the always on/sim city fiasco)

Let's put it this way,

it is true you are not giving me back $20 (in paper money)

but you are giving me back $20 worth of something (Plat) that I can use to get $20 worth of items (anything that can be bought with Plat) from you.

Plat and these items are actually perfect complements. The demand for plat is directly related to the demand for these items.

Thus, once the demand for these items (frames, weapons, anything in the market that can be bought by plat) runs dry, there is no longer demand for plat even if you can supply them infinitely.

If you understand the mechanics behind a currency, you would realise plat is money.

Paper money used to be backed by gold and silver and was a solution to carrying and dragging large amounts of these heavy metals when wanting to buy stuff.

Thus. instead of bringing a bag of $100 worth of gold and silver, we bring a $100 note that represents this $100 of gold and silver. This note can then be used to buy other items that cost $100 worth of gold and silver.

And the thing is the supply of paper money (notes) is infinite too just like Plat. All you need is paper, ink and securities in place to prevent forgery.

Supply of money however is controlled by central banks and excess supply of it has heavy economic consequences like inflation but that is not relevant here but if you are interested, you can go find out how money works.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

Let's put it this way,

it is true you are not giving me back $20 (in paper money)

but you are giving me back $20 worth of something (Plat) that I can use to get $20 worth of items (anything that can be bought be Plat) from you.

Yes, out of customer loyalty (think that's the right phrase) because I respect your willingness to buy my stuff, I feel the best way to interact with customers is to not screw them over and make them feel resent because they got a bad deal/worse deal ESPECIALLY if I was just starting out. The biggest thing starting out (once you have a product) is generating goodwill so people recommend you. So, ask yourself, how much is your customers telling other people about you, and how you give a fair deal?

If you understand the mechanics behind a currency, you would realise plat is money. yes and no, it's a product, and by your logic EVERY product is money (which is kinda true) but if you have an infinite supply, why would you risk angering potential repeat customers who come to you for another service everyday? That'd just generate unrest, and ill will compared to saying "Hey, we're reducing our prices by X%, those who were previous customers get that same X% of however much they already bought free! the difference between money and platinum, is money can be spent anywhere, while platinum can only be spent in warframe, so it's an in game currency, but so are alloy plates, rubedo, nano spores, etc (all of which are used to buy in game stuff, but have different values)

Paper money used to be backed by gold and silver and was a solution to carrying and dragging large amounts of these heavy metals when wanting to buy stuff. yup

Thus. instead of bringing a bag of $100 worth of gold and silver, we bring a $100 note that represents this $100 of gold and silver. This note can then be used to buy other items that cost $100 worth of gold and silver. yup

And the thing is the supply of paper money (notes) is infinite too just like Plat. All you need is paper, ink and securities in place to prevent forgery. yup

Supply of money however is controlled by central banks and excess supply of it has heavy economic consequences like inflation but that is not relevant here but if you are interested, you can go find out how money works. All of which is out of the hands of the government (who in this case DE is)

My point is, goodwill is worth a lot, why risk making your fan base mad and lose a lot of potential repeat, or first time customers, when you have an unlimited supply of product, you can afforded to buy goodwill by giving a little out when you lower your prices.

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1

:D thank you. I admit I do insult sometimes, but after ~20 "rhino IS was op nurf waz gud" without any reasoning or arguments it's hard to not to.

But back on topic, If DE reduced and changed alloy plates to something else (rubedo, plastids, etc), then reduced the prices by ~60% of the recent weapon changes (minus end game stuff like the hek/gorgon) it'd be a start at the very least (if not a complete fix), and then removed some of the rare mat requirements on some of the weapons (i.e. the skana/bo require rare mats, and the furis requires TWO neurodes :P)

Yeah, we can't be on our best behavior all the time, well not I, not with stubborn people at least >.<

Alloy is the main issue, really, it drops in small amounts but so much is required, sure some weapons only ask for 80 but the rest, they can be steep, and once more, it will make new player easily turn away as well. Hopefully they have some changes in mind for resources, amount dropped/needed, if thing stay the same throughout U8, dang, dunno how it'll go from there but I'll be fin for a while, granted I already have my fair share of resources -_-

Yeah, we can't be on our best behavior all the time, well not I, not with stubborn people at least >.<

Alloy is the main issue, really, it drops in small amounts but so much is required, sure some weapons only ask for 80 but the rest, they can be steep, and once more, it will make new player easily turn away as well. Hopefully they have some changes in mind for resources, amount dropped/needed, if thing stay the same throughout U8, dang, dunno how it'll go from there but I'll be fin for a while, granted I already have my fair share of resources -_-

yup, that's one solution. Either drop the cost of alloy plates and change some of it to other mats OR increase the drop rate/amount by ~50% I think

My point is, goodwill is worth a lot, why risk making your fan base mad and lose a lot of potential repeat, or first time customers, when you have an unlimited supply of product, you can afforded to buy goodwill by giving a little out when you lower your prices.

Yes, out of customer loyalty (think that's the right phrase) because I respect your willingness to buy my stuff, I feel the best way to interact with customers is to not screw them over and make them feel resent because they got a bad deal/worse deal ESPECIALLY if I was just starting out. The biggest thing starting out (once you have a product) is generating goodwill so people recommend you. So, ask yourself, how much is your customers telling other people about you, and how you give a fair deal?

yes and no, it's a product, and by your logic EVERY product is money (which is kinda true) but if you have an infinite supply, why would you risk angering potential repeat customers who come to you for another service everyday? That'd just generate unrest, and ill will compared to saying "Hey, we're reducing our prices by X%, those who were previous customers get that same X% of however much they already bought free! the difference between money and platinum, is money can be spent anywhere, while platinum can only be spent in warframe, so it's an in game currency, but so are alloy plates, rubedo, nano spores, etc (all of which are used to buy in game stuff, but have different values)

They have an unlimited supply of plat, that is indeed true, but they do not have an unlimited supply of creativity which is needed to supply us with new frames and weapons.

Supposed I already bought all existing weapons and frames and whatever is in the market, I will no longer need to buy anything from them until they create something new.

It is true that goodwill is important and reputation in business transactions too but in my case, all I will be is to be grateful that they gave me back some plat which I have no use for unless they create something new. If they do not create something new due to running out of creativity, they effectively gave me back nothing and made all my past purchases seem overpriced (since I paid more for them in the past than the people paying for them now)

I do agree with you that if this (effectively gave me back nothing and made all my past purchases seem overpriced) somehow makes me happy, I will indeed introduce and spread the word on the game and thus potentially bringing in new players and more possible revenue.

I do not disagree that the price set currently are indeed too high but to call for changes in their price after so many people have already bought them is very very risky.

I still stand by my point that the only thing DE should do from this point on regarding the prices is to sell new items at lower prices in the future.

On a side note, I'm aware that Plat isn't the money that people know but it is money when the goods we are talking about is only in the market within the game. Money is a concept, not an item.

Think of it as a different country's currency and this country does not allow you to exchange its currency back to other countries' currency once you have them.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

They have an unlimited supply of plat, that is indeed true, but they do not have an unlimited supply of creativity which is needed to supply us with new frames and weapons.

Supposed I already bought all existing weapons and frames and whatever is in the market, I will no longer need to buy anything from them until they create something new.

It is true that goodwill is important and reputation in business transactions too but in my case, all I will be is to be grateful that they gave me back some plat which I have no use for unless they create something new. If they do not create something new due to running out of creativity, they effectively gave me back nothing and made all my past purchases seem overpriced (since I paid more for them in the past than the people paying for them now)

That is true, and I'm not sure what to say to it, however people with too much plat are in the minority, so there isn't really a reason to cater to them because they have too much platinum (and having a bit more never hurts). And either way, if you have too much platinum now, you would still have too much if the stuff you bought had been X% cheaper, only you wouldn't be getting a refund.

That is true, and I'm not sure what to say to it, however people with too much plat are in the minority, so there isn't really a reason to cater to them because they have too much platinum (and having a bit more never hurts). And either way, if you have too much platinum now, you would still have too much if the stuff you bought had been X% cheaper, only you wouldn't be getting a refund.

The problem actually is that not everyone needs everything in the game

so even if all of us gets a million plat and we buy all the items in the game,

majority of these items will not be used.

This is actually the main reason why people called for the optional reset which give them back plat (cashback) to buy things that they now know they really want.

These people, assuming tried most of the items, will not really buy many of these items anymore since they now know they do not need/like them.

I actually have 500 plat lying around but currently, I more or less have everything I need, thus I too am not buying anything.

I will agree that had the Vauban been priced cheaper, I would probably had spent my plat on him but now I rather just wait for his alerts since with my current frames and weapons, I don't really need him at all.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

so even if all of us gets a million plat and we buy all the items in the game,

majority of these items will not be used.

This is actually the main reason why people called for the optional reset which give them back plat (cashback) to buy things that they now know they really want.

These people, assuming tried most of the items, will not really buy many of these items anymore since they now know they do not need/like them.

I actually have 500 plat lying around but currently, I more or less have everything I need, thus I too am not buying anything.

I will agree that had the Vauban been price cheaper, I would probably had spent my plat on him but now I rather just wait for his alerts since with my current frames and weapons, I don't really need him at all.

and that's your view, some people are completionists, and want to get and level everything for maximum rank. You're also saving the 500 plat for when something you REALLY want comes out, just like others are doing, and I bet overall, they'd feel it'd be good to have another 10% (i.e.)  in the bank (that 500 turns into 550, which is enough for 2 frames priced at 275 obv, or 2 more reactors/catas as platinum wise it's cheaper to build the weapon, (rush it if you're impatient) and then get a potato for it (20 vs ~100-200)

and that's your view, some people are completionists, and want to get and level everything for maximum rank. You're also saving the 500 plat for when something you REALLY want comes out, just like others are doing, and I bet overall, they'd feel it'd be good to have another 10% (i.e.)  in the bank (that 500 turns into 550, which is enough for 2 frames priced at 275 obv, or 2 more reactors/catas as platinum wise it's cheaper to build the weapon, (rush it if you're impatient) and then get a potato for it (20 vs ~100-200)

Indeed, that is my view hence

You are indeed correct that I'm saving for future items introduced into the game.

As I mentioned before whether that 10% more plat will mean anything have to depend on the individual's demand.

The more items that he wants and have gotten, the less that 10% extra means.

Thus, if a player only wants item A, B, C and D, giving him more plat to buy items E, F, G and H, when he already got all the items he wants is actually meaningless. It's to do with diminishing marginal utility.

It's like giving money to a rich man who already has all he needs. There will of course still be things he doesn't have but that doesn't mean he will buy them.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

Indeed, that is my view hence

You are indeed correct that I'm saving for future items introduced into the game.

As I mentioned before whether that 10% more plat will mean anything have to depend on the individual's demand.

The more items that he wants and have gotten, the less that 10% extra means.

Thus, if a player only wants item A, B, C and D, giving him more plat to buy items E, F, G and H, when he already got all the items he wants is actually meaningless. It's to do with diminishing marginal utility.

It's like giving money to a rich man who already has all he needs. There will of course still be things he doesn't have but that doesn't mean he will buy them.

true, but then there are the players who still want a lot of things (which would include most new players who buy a little platinum) so getting a little more is always a nice little surprise. I assume the people who have too much platinum, is FAR, FAR outweighed by the people who would like a little more.

XnkisZF.jpg?1

This is the MC(plat here) pricing in MWO.

9y5VCjo.jpg?1

This is the price of a 50 ton battlemech, as in middle class. A battlemech is your avatar ingame, as a warframe is here. Pretty much almost in the same manner.

That game has ONLY arena style PvP. No ladder system, no lobby system, no global chat, no SP.

The only things you do is grinding ingame cash day in day out on several maps using the same tactic every time, getting bored to death later on.

Oh yeah, that particular battlemech, and several others, can be bought ONLY with RL cash.

Despite all that, the MC prices are still insane and people are still buying those battlemechs.

So pipe it down, suck it up, and wait or grind for the BP, whichever is the alternate solution to buying with plat. DE is generous enough to give us an alternate solution.

I don't mean to be rude, but considering pricing in other games, this looks like pure whining.

Edited by DeadlyNerd

XnkisZF.jpg?1

This is the MC(plat here) pricing in MWO.

9y5VCjo.jpg?1

This is the price of a 50 ton battlemech, as in middle class. A battlemech is your avatar ingame, as a warframe is here. Pretty much almost in the same manner.

That game has ONLY arena style PvP. No ladder system, no lobby system, no global chat, no SP.

The only things you do is grinding ingame cash day in day out on several maps using the same tactic every time, getting bored to death later on.

Oh yeah, that particular battlemech, and several others, can be bought ONLY with RL cash.

Despite all that, the MC prices are still insane and people are still buying those battlemechs.

So pipe it down, suck it up, and wait or grind for the BP, whichever is the alternate solution to buying with plat.

"So pipe it down, suck it up"

Boy, isn't that constructive and helpful! No, that's the wrong look to take imo they'd probably do better business if they had more reasonable prices. There will always be people who can just throw money at a game, but then there are people who will put money into a game IF IT'S WORTH IT, which is a decent sized market is my guess.

Don't buy warframes and weapons with it, buy inventory slots, potatoes and cosmetics with it.

I'm guessing they aren't REALLY pushing sales of warframes/weapons aggressively because farming/building those items is largely what the content of the game is. Take that away and what do you have left?

Only really impatient people (or people with real jobs who would rather make $50 an hour working rather than try to spending that hour farming in game) buy warframes/weapons with platinum.

Don't buy warframes and weapons with it, buy inventory slots, potatoes and cosmetics with it.

I'm guessing they aren't REALLY pushing sales of warframes/weapons aggressively because farming/building those items is largely what the content of the game is. Take that away and what do you have left?

Only really impatient people (or people with real jobs who would rather make $50 an hour working rather than try to spending that hour farming in game) buy warframes/weapons with platinum.

I feel they are indirectly trying to (i.e. the alert only vauban, expensive weapon crafting costs, etc) get people to buy weapons and warframes with plat, because really, it's been 4 days with only one alert for vauban, which a lot of people here in the U.S. missed because of the timing (4-7a.m.)

"So pipe it down, suck it up"

Boy, isn't that constructive and helpful! No, that's the wrong look to take imo they'd probably do better business if they had more reasonable prices. There will always be people who can just throw money at a game, but then there are people who will put money into a game IF IT'S WORTH IT, which is a decent sized market is my guess.

What I've learned from my experience with MWO pricing is that prices wouldn't go down despite how many times we asked for it because the number of people that obeyed the prices and spent money was greater than those that whined about prices.

DE wont lower their prices due to the same reason. They have their economy model and they have their revenue and it's obviously working out for them, otherwise they'd be lowering prices.

Also, don't attack 1 line of my post calling it not constructive while the rest speaks as clear evidence.

What I've learned from my experience with MWO pricing is that prices wouldn't go down despite how many times we asked for it because the number of people that obeyed the prices and spent money was greater than those that whined about prices.

DE wont lower their prices due to the same reason. They have their economy model and they have their revenue and it's obviously working out for them, otherwise they'd be lowering prices.

Also, don't attack 1 line of my post calling it not constructive while the rest speaks as clear evidence.

"What I've learned from my experience with MWO pricing is that prices wouldn't go down despite how many times we asked for it because the number of people that obeyed the prices and spent money was greater than those that whined about prices."

Have they ever listened to their community? DE has, admittedly it takes sometime obv (there is always people complaining about something, so they gotta wait and see if it's valid, or just a small vocal section) but it shows they're willing to change things at least.

"DE wont lower their prices due to the same reason. They have their economy model and they have their revenue and it's obviously working out for them, otherwise they'd be lowering prices." You never know, they (DE) listen to their community (sometimes) so there is possibility for change here, you don't know until you try.

"Also, don't attack 1 line of my post calling it not constructive while the rest speaks as clear evidence."

fair enough, not fair to attack just one bit if you have more than that, which you don't. Reread your post, honestly.

(also, What, the fact that ONE company doesn't listen to it's community is proof that no company will?)

"This is the price of a 50 ton battlemech, as in middle class. A battlemech is your avatar ingame, as a warframe is here. Pretty much almost in the same manner.

So pipe it down, suck it up, and wait or grind for the BP, whichever is the alternate solution to buying with plat."

where are your reasons? Or your constructiveness? I see mainly "suck it up" here, no solutions, no suggestions, nothing, so yeah, I picked out a quote you so nicely gave to sum up your post, and attacked it. If enough people stop buying plat we CAN change things simply because DE might look and see that people feel their prices are too high for too little.

edit:

"I don't mean to be rude, but considering pricing in other games, this looks like pure whining."

Who cares how other games price their stuff? That's not our problem unless we decide to play that game too.

-snip-

The whole part about MWO is explaining how the game is more unfinished and gets boring a lot faster than Warframe, and that people still pay RL cash to get ingame stuff, even if it's overpriced.

Don't tell me I just had to point that out, while you couldn't do it yourself.

You know who cares about other game prices? DE does. It's not about pleasing your community with low prices, but about making the most cash while not making the game outprice the competition.

Again, their economy model is obviously fine and they'll keep it that way because reducing prices will only result in them losing revenue.

While I do feel certain things are a bit too expensive, I really don't find it to be that bad, in dungeon fighter online it cost about $20-$26 for a set of avatars (Clothes that changed the way your character looked). Spending $20~ for a full warframe that comes fully "Upgraded" (potato'd) doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. Then again my opinion shouldn't weigh much, I've got more platinum than I know what to do with.

Although 90?platinum for 2 rare mods from the Dragon? Mod pack is kind of ridiculous.

The whole part about MWO is explaining how the game is more unfinished and gets boring a lot faster than Warframe, and that people still pay RL cash to get ingame stuff, even if it's overpriced.

Don't tell me I just had to point that out, while you couldn't do it yourself. That's not an argument, don't pretend it is. And again, so what of other games? I'm talking about warframe, not another game. I understand DE can look at other games and see what they're doing right/wrong but for that I'd look at bigger games than MWO (whatever it is, never heard of it honestly), stuff like TF2 (bit different there though), LoL, etc.

You know who cares about other game prices? DE does. It's not about pleasing your community with low prices (of course not, they are a business), but about making the most cash while not making the game outprice the competition.

Again, their economy model is obviously fine and they'll keep it that way because reducing prices will only result in them losing revenue.

Really? Making platinum cheaper would lose them money? It all depends on how much, 10-20% would give more value to it so I'd imagine more people would put down some cash if they got a better deal from it, but I don't have access to what DE makes daily/weekly so I'm guessing more or less. And again, goodwill is worth a lot, having an affordable cash system generates that. Instead of saying "oh the plat is overpriced, you don't get much from it" one might say to a friend, they might say "Oh, the plat is a good deal (etc)", These threads in point with people complaining about the prices, and I don't think I could recommend anything but the founders as a "good deal" and even then that's iffy.

But a lot of that is beside the point, the platinum might need some tweaks imo, but it's the CRAFTING that needs an overhaul, 300 alloy plates for a basic weapon is a bit much, especially when MUCH better weapons cost slightly more, or even less (depending on what you compare, i.e. hek vs boar, or burston vs boltor). The grind new players have to do really breaks up progression, badly. Here's an example of a new loadout with some (imo) low tier weapons

For a full new setup, Bo, Burston, and a Furis,

750 alloy plates

100 polymer bundles (COMMON MAT and it's less than the alloy plates of JUST the weapon that requires it?? (bo, requires 150 alloy plates),

600 nano spores,

1 morhpics,

1 orokin cell,

2 neurodes,

1,300 salvage,

1,350 ferrite,

105,000 credits (as much as a warframe)

and 12hours of build time (not a prob there really)

you can expect 750 alloy plates on venus to take a few hours, and when for 200 more you could get the hek (if you're high enough mastery rank) or the boltor instead of the burston, and for only 80 you can get a heavy weapon for 80 alloy plates, instead of the bo (which is pretty bad compared to them I feel.)

But a lot of that is beside the point, the platinum might need some tweaks imo, but it's the CRAFTING that needs an overhaul, 300 alloy plates for a basic weapon is a bit much, especially when MUCH better weapons cost slightly more, or even less (depending on what you compare, i.e. hek vs boar, or burston vs boltor). The grind new players have to do really breaks up progression, badly.

Personally, i reckon both the  platinum prices AND crafting recipies/requirements need an overhaul

I bought the $20 founders pack.

Had everything I could ever want.

No point paying through the teeth for things that take an hour or two to farm.

Without farming warframes and mats, the game runs dry pretty quickly.

I deliberately obstain from spending any platinum on weapons or warframes because I enjoy the effort it takes to make them.

And the things that cost plat that aren't farmable are actually quite reasonable, colour pallets, potatoes, cosmetics, weapon/warframe slots, etc.

I bought the $20 founders pack.

Had everything I could ever want.

No point paying through the teeth for things that take an hour or two to farm.

Without farming warframes and mats, the game runs dry pretty quickly.

I deliberately obstain from spending any platinum on weapons or warframes because I enjoy the effort it takes to make them.

And the things that cost plat that aren't farmable are actually quite reasonable, colour pallets, potatoes, cosmetics, weapon/warframe slots, etc.

See, he has the right idea.

But a lot of that is beside the point, the platinum might need some tweaks imo, but it's the CRAFTING that needs an overhaul, 300 alloy plates for a basic weapon is a bit much, especially when MUCH better weapons cost slightly more, or even less (depending on what you compare, i.e. hek vs boar, or burston vs boltor). The grind new players have to do really breaks up progression, badly. Here's an example of a new loadout with some (imo) low tier weapons

For a full new setup, Bo, Burston, and a Furis,

750 alloy plates

100 polymer bundles (COMMON MAT and it's less than the alloy plates of JUST the weapon that requires it?? (bo, requires 150 alloy plates),

600 nano spores,

1 morhpics,

1 orokin cell,

2 neurodes,

1,300 salvage,

1,350 ferrite,

105,000 credits (as much as a warframe)

and 12hours of build time (not a prob there really)

you can expect 750 alloy plates on venus to take a few hours, and when for 200 more you could get the hek (if you're high enough mastery rank) or the boltor instead of the burston, and for only 80 you can get a heavy weapon for 80 alloy plates, instead of the bo (which is pretty bad compared to them I feel.)

Nothing I said is beside the point. The community may prefer a different game but the mindset is the same. If they have money they'll pay generously, if they don't they'll only pay for necessities like potatoes and weapon/warframe slots.

Also you do realize that you've written my argument for me.

The RL cash price of a weapon/warframe is almost even too low for the amount of farming one has to do to get it "for free".

There wouldn't be a need to play the game and farm for the items if they were all available cheap.

Again, those that have the money and the right mindset will pay for whatever they want. Those that don't wont pay for what they don't need even if the prices were lowered.

I for one have enough money to buy myself every warframe and all the little gadgets like helms and colors and custom wpn skins, but I wont.

I wont do it no matter what because I see it as a waste of money, specially the warframes since they can be obtained by actually playing the game.

Also, you don't compare this to LoL or TF2 or DotA or anything as popular.

Those games have much bigger playerbases meaning that their revenue wont be as effected when reducing prices, as  games with smaller playerbases.

Because of that they can play the waiting game and either keep the low prices or revert them back to higher ones.