Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mag Vs. Volt

Jordan_McBeast

Volt is more geared towards offensive tactics and has decent health/shield stats. He is ineffective against Infested in general though, and his electric attacks don't shine against the Grineer as much as they do against the Corpus.

Mag on the other hand has low health and is more of a support frame but doesn't suffer from enemy resistance to any of her powers. Speed is roughly the same.

I used to be a bullet sponge + room cleaner with Volt - which is my starter as well - and an offensive supporter with Mag. Just for indicative purposes.

Volt for direct offense, typically.

Volt has abilities balanced between offensive(Shock, Overload) and defensive powers(Speed, Electric Shield), particulary effective against Corpus but also against Grineer. Not so efficient against Infested but still useful with Speed and Overload that kills every non-ancient in range

So useless skills first:

- Shock: To little damage

- Electric Shield: Highly situational, as cover is avaiable aplent most the time. "Bonus electric damage" doesn't offset direct damage loss even against Corpus?!

- Pull: Can stagger an enemy once. That's it.

- Shield Polarize: Squadmates regenerate shields so quickly, even without mods, that it doesn't matter. Crypods don't have enough shields for it to matter either.

- Bullet Attractor: Even with a Gorgon you can hit accurately from decent distances.

Which leaves:

- Speed: Good for rushing

- Overload: Good damage against Grineer/Corpus. Mediocre Damage against Infested

- Crush: Okay damage vs. all factions. Looses effectiveness with enemy scaling, even with appropriate mods.

Volt's shield is good against ancients - I kill ancients with shield in about 1/3 to 1/2 the ammo/time it takes un-shielded.

Don't know it if is a bug or deliberate change in last patch (though can't find it in the patch notes) but Overload now no longer makes you invincible during its use.  This is very problematic as you are stuck stationary and unable to shoot whilst it is active, and I was just taken from full health and shields to dead during its use in an enemy heavy mob.  Not fun.

I can't speak on Mag's capabilities, but I chose Volt as my starter Frame and regretted damn near every moment of it. Mobs above level 15 laugh at a level 30 potato'd Volt. Of course Corpus are more susceptible to his abilities, but 1 out of 3 factions is a poor ratio. The only times that I regret selling my Volt are when I get the idea that DE might actually make him useable sometime down the line.

I'd say Volt has way more utility, partially because most of Mag's abilities aren't exceptionally useful.  But otherwise, Mag's ult is much better against anything non-Corpus, and Pull is slightly better than Shock in that it's not completely useless.

Also Volt is a bit beefier.