Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Balanced V Frustration, Speaking Bluntly V Salty

(XBOX)LordPuck

My opnions are not always "popular". I admit this. I also admit I speak about topics in a way that others say is  "Salty"

I try to find the balance point in what I do or say but its not easy for me. I get frustrated by "issues" I can see that are easily fixed, at least to me theyre easy, but others see as difficult or not the point.

Not sure where I was going with this, but I still needed to say it..........

Typically salty posts are ones that lack any objectivity to them and are just basically rage posts. 

When you are being brutally honest and dislike a certain aspect, it's important to maintain a neutral tone to the post.

I understand the diferrences between the 2. 

Sometimes I think people think Im a complete noob because I say something related to a topic but not seen by others as related.

Sometimes I think I take it too far with my bluntness.

Sometimes I think I dont go far enough.

Balanced v Frustration........... Speaking Bluntly V Salty

Lately, I've really started to question whether I'm even capable of speaking frankly without falling afoul of the newer standards for community conduct around here.

It's a huge problem for me, and I'm actually thinking I might need to re-evaluate my answer to the question of whether I "agree with the community rules." I can't say that I have any problem at all with the rules as they are printed, but I'm not sure that I like the way they're interpreted/enforced.

Far be it from me to impugn the judgment of our com-mods; for all I know, their professional judgment and their personal judgment might be very different. I just wonder if I can be part of a community where the relationship between "users" and "moderators" is... how it appears to be around here lately.

I think that's horrible, really. It's a problem I can't say I have a plan to solve because I know so little about the many sides of the issue (if you'll allow me to consider it an "issue" at the moment). When I post something that another user or a com-mod has a problem with, that means work is generated and put on somebody's plate. Someone has to deal with it now, and I'm already unhappy because I hate the thought of making anyone's job harder without good reason. Everybody running the show on these forums has a lot to deal with before I enter the picture.

When a moderator does have to take action to address any rules infraction, most of us would expect it to be handled with a certain amount of professional conduct. I actually do think I was dealt with a little too harshly in at least one instance, and I can honestly say it planted a seed of resentment that is affecting the way I look at moderation. I feel that the language used was not necessary, and that I was treated not as an adult who suffered a momentary lapse in judgment, but as a recalcitrant child who must be intimidated because he cannot be reasoned with.

If we're being asked to extend a thorough, businesslike respect for other people on these forums, we would be reasonable to expect the same of those who represent the rules. It's not my intention to put anyone on blast here, or to ruffle any feathers unnecessarily. Maybe I just wish I could cooperate happily with our moderators and the rules, and I worry that the chance for that "happily" part might be gone for good.

No witty ending remark, just... sadface.

edit: Everything I've stated here is a subjective opinion. I'm a human, and as such am prone to misjudging the timbre of my dealings with others. I might get my precious little feelings hurt over something that really shouldn't have bothered me so much. I can't work with information I don't have, so forgive me if there's anything here that sounds off-base or flat-out wrong.

Edited by notlamprey

Nolamprey, I appreciate the feedback and honesty.

This topic is primarily about my inabilty to convey the images in my head into a proper format that others can understand. I try to translate whats in my mind for others, but I wide up being, "too honest for my own good". This makes me seem Salty and or stupid in others eyes.

Edited by (XB1)LordPuck