Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dojo Thoughts From Someone Not Interested In Large(R) Clan Play

plznohurtme

A friend of mine (who'd played the game pretty extensively) saw the new update and looked around...

And then said he was done with the game, and said "Sorry guys, but I'm done with this game. I quit. I have better things to do than farm."

That's really saddening for me, and my small clan. Now we have one less friend playing, and one less "farmer" for our dojo.

Not to be rude or anything, just telling the story as it happened. 

A friend of mine (who'd played the game pretty extensively) saw the new update and looked around...

And then said he was done with the game, and said "Sorry guys, but I'm done with this game. I quit. I have better things to do than farm."

That's really saddening for me, and my small clan. Now we have one less friend playing, and one less "farmer" for our dojo.

A bit extreme, but I understand the sentiment, because if they let it languish (which I don't think they will) then it's totally justified.

Luckily for me, 2 of the 3 folks in my clan (me and one of the other guys) have this facsination with breaking game systems. Infinite implants in D20 Future, unlimited damage in D&D 3rd, etc. With the new polarization, we will keep playing for a while, despite the farming, just to see how broken we can make ourselves/weapons. Beyond that..I feel ya.

Random thought: Why can't we buy resources with credits (ingame currency, not plat)? Not saying they should be cheap but seriously, the Corpus have to pay their medical bills somehow after my group gets done with one of their ships and its crew.

Luckily for me, 2 of the 3 folks in my clan (me and one of the other guys) have this facsination with breaking game systems. Infinite implants in D20 Future, unlimited damage in D&D 3rd, etc. With the new polarization, we will keep playing for a while, despite the farming, just to see how broken we can make ourselves/weapons. Beyond that..I feel ya.

Random thought: Why can't we buy resources with credits (ingame currency, not plat)? Not saying they should be cheap but seriously, the Corpus have to pay their medical bills somehow after my group gets done with one of their ships and its crew.

I enjoy seeing how far things can go too, and there's still plenty of stuff to do, so it's not time to abandon ship by any means. Just hoping that something is done with regards to dojos because it's a really interesting and cool implementation that is unfortunately limited to only one group right now.

I'm not sure mats for credits is necessarily a good idea, but it would give another credit sink after mods, though with them adding new mods in the last couple of patches I could see those taking at least some of the money (if you ever get them that is).

I know this means cybernetics, but I still pictured a mass of fake breasts the size of a universe. It was horrifying.

lol

This is actually a good point

If it takes 6 months to grind and farm up a minimal dojo... then I think the devs got some math wrong

What I mean is simple: For how long do you plan to be playing this? How long until you know something else is coming, or you spot something that strikes your fancy more than this? If the devs require 6 months of farming to get to the next tier of gear... that'll lock you down almost until christmas!?!

I can't anwer this personally, but if I stumble over something nice and story-driven (something I'm kinda lacking right now) I'll jump at it... and I'll probably forget all about warframe for quite some time.

It's making me reconsider my commitment to my IRL friends and our clan, to be perfectly honest.

Why should we have a close knit, "just us spending time together and having fun" clan, when I could just join Warbros?

I mean, we lose all the control and "fun" of being just us...

But the rewards look pretty great. I'm not sure I (or 3 friends and myself) want to farm for who-knows-how-long, just to build up a dojo and feel progress in the game. Well, maybe not "progress", so much as the dojo just feels like it IS the next step. 

I'm not sure how long it'll take 1-4 people (with the occasional other helping) to build a "good" little dojo, but I'm worried it'll be far too long to be worth the effort.

My biggest complaint about this whole thing is the use of Forma in large (for a small clan) quantities. The dojo feels like it's starting-game stuff, since you should probably start warframe with a clan. YET to do anything with that dojo, you need very hard-to-farm end-game drops in large quantities. (for a small clan at least) 

We don't have $200 to drop into the game right now.

Thank God this is alpha. They'll fix this. Right?

Anyways, that's my 2 cents on the whole issue.

TL;DR? I'm upset about the way the dojo works right now. BUT I AM HOPEFUL ABOUT THE FUTURE. This IS alpha right now anyways.

So now there are even more numbers to look at. I checked out a video that someone in Warbros posted which featured the research in the Dojos. First of all the research all has a mandatory 3 day research time which cannot be sped up, I think this is a good idea. Second some of the research is required to unlock the next, and in some cases others aren't, this also seems like a pretty good idea. That's however when the cost comes into play, the costs to build the rooms is already high, and the cost of research just adds insult to injury. I updated the OP (put it at the bottom to separate it from the dojo building costs) with all this additional information and analysis.

For those who don't want to go read through it, here are the short numbers without any analysis:

=========================================

full Chem Lab research cost:

-----------------------------------------

Credits ---------- 1750000

Detonite Ampule - 2500

Ferrite ---------- 110000

Polymer Bundle - 105000

Plastids --------- 40000

full Energy Lab research cost:

Credits ---------- 4500000

Fieldron Sample - 4250

Rubedo ----------- 10000

Circuits --------- 55000

Ferrite ---------- 100000

Plastids --------- 50000

Nano Spores ---- 175000

Polymer Bundle - 180000

--Fieldron Research will add roughly

--80000-100000 more materials cost

Edited by plznohurtme

Does make it all rather inaccessible...but I suppose the problem DE faces is that they want to add stuff that will appeal to "hardcore" organised gamer types. The World of Warcraft raiding guild types.

That being said, I'm sure they'll balance things out; this is a *very* new feature, and something they're clearly going to do a whole lot of work on in the coming months.

Remember that when WoW released Panda people quite by the thousands because of the new emphasis on the Dailies. Probably didn't hurt a huge machine like WoW that bad, but I'd imagine losing a few thousand supporters would hurt a project like Warframe that's not even out of beta yet pretty badly.

Edited by Neuhnee

Remember that when WoW released Panda people quite by the thousands because of the new emphasis on the Dailies. Probably didn't hurt a huge machine like WoW that bad, but I'd imagine losing a few thousand supporters would hurt a project like Warframe that's not even out of beta yet pretty badly.

My point exactly

If warframe is marketing itself as a casual space ninja game - then saying "You have to play for six months in 20 man clan to get access to the endgame content" is just plain stupid. It will deter new players who see these requirements and say "Hey, I don't expect to play this for six months"

Most games brag about maybe 8 hours of playtime. I spend maybe one hour a day playing Warframe, so that's a little over a week. That's fine to me - after a week of having played Warframe I felt that I'd gotten to know pretty much everything there was to know about the game, and I was having fun.

I think the devs really have to reevaluate just how long they expect players to be playing this game

I've seen similar mistakes in other casual games: Typically farmville-style games. One was set up so that you had to play the game for OVER TWO YEARS to build and access all the content (without having to pay for it) - there was a huge uproar about this, and AFAIK the game never caught on.

Its a question of how much time and effort a player has to put into the game to progress. And six months just to access the endgame? That's unreasonable.

Edited by webkilla

I had mislabeled the data from yesterday, was supposed to be Chem Lab not Bio Lab, fixed op, and added what I found of the Bio Lab research costs:

full Bio Lab research cost:

Credits ---------- 1750000

Mutagen Sample - 2500

Circuits --------- 20000

Ferrite ---------- 15000

Nano Spores ---- 175000

Polymer Bundle - 90000

--unknown remainder expect

--80000-150000 materials cost

I hear that what you get from finishing the research is being able to buy the blueprints for the weapons too.

Infinite farming.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it works, though you can bet the blueprints are most likely reasonable.