Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grineer Commander Rework (General Purpose)

Shabach

I'd like to see the higher-up enemies in the various armies have some more variety and utility. The Grineer commander has his teleport ability, but I'd like to see enemies have a higher sense of combat awareness. Maybe commanders could carry multiple weapons, and switch between them at different ranges. Or maybe they can assume command of a group of grineer soldiers nearby, and they'll form up into some sort of squadron and advance as a group. 

Something similar in the Corpus would be interesting. Have a Corpus tech rally with two crewman and two Moas, and form an advancing party that stays in formation as it moves along.

That's something I would like to see in the game, is a better sense of combat awareness from the enemy AI. More tactical approaches, not just crouching behind cover, peeking their heads out every now and again. Although I will say that is a valid move as well, and is definitely an improvement over an enemy that just marches forward into your bullets.

Edited by Shabach

Well, Warframes are notorious when it comes to instant mass genocide. Even if enemies develop a sense of coordination with their complex formation Bravo we'd kill them in a blink of an eye. 

But I do agree that enemy AI needs a new tactic or gimmick in dealing with us. Maybe they can throw a flash bang and then a whole squad will come out of no where and gank us to death.

Maybe Techs can reinforce Moas into Bursas or have a healing aura exclusive for machines since they are called a Techs.

Something like that.

But the root of the problem is that we are so darn strong that it will take an entire population of enemies just to scratch us. Quantity defeats Quality.

Them creating squads would feel so good also in t4 i want bursa maniac and juggernauts t4 missions should be punishing as hell i want to be forced to use movement utility parkour and defensive abilities to survive i dont want to be screaming kooooooooooohm like Arnold swartzindingdong

You mean like this:

Grineer Commander:

For the Commander Unit, a change to his status would be adding in a mechanic similar to what we have with Rhino's Roar. Dubbed the Command Ability (or what have you), this emphasizes the Commander unit as the head of the squad and a top priority for enemy units to deal with. Having the ability be limited to one cast per twenty seconds might be a good idea, to ensure that this ability isn't overwhelming to newer players, nor veterans as the enemy unit scales later into content.

Levels 1-20 gives them the ability to use a Command ability to empower nearby allies. As a commanding unit on the battlefield, this helps to increase the effectiveness of the Commander, and fits his role aesthetically. Similar to Rhino's Roar, this ability could give a telegraph akin to Roar's effect, only now emanating off of the enemy units, rather than Tenno allies. The Commander himself could telegraph this by an entire body animation and audible cue.

Levels 21-35 allows the Grineer Commander to teleport a group of allied units with him upon utilizing his teleportation ability. Essentially becoming a squad leader, the commander can now better fit his role as the head unit. Repositioning Grineer troops and displacing enemy units can be a dangerous combination on the battlefield, and now the Commander is more of a unit to prioritize in battle as well.

Levels 36-50 The Command ability now has a chance (50%?) to remove procs placed on allied units. Adding in this change allows the Commander to assist the squad with removing debuffs. Similar to how field commanders in the military have to boost allied morale and empower their troops, this could be a useful trait for the Commander to have in later content.

Levels 51-65 gives the Grineer Commander heavier armor, and allows the Command ability to have a chance of increasing the level of allied units in the area. Grineer Commanders now also have a melee weapon on their person (complete with stance).

Levels 66-80 Commanders have an additional melee weapon and can deploy a Grineer Regulator. Used in synergy, they can create very difficult situations for Tenno to deal with. This changes allows the Commander to focus more on attacking enemy units and coordinating the squad, whereas the Regulator can perform the more auxiliary military functions.

Levels 80+ Commanders can now Teleport to another allied unit, rather than solely displacing an enemy unit. This allows the Grineer Commander to truly move squads wherever the Grineer need them most. Their repositioning could turn the tide of battle in favour of the Grineer, or directly to the enemy, if the Commander is not wary of crafty Tenno.

These changes help to make the Grineer Commander an actual Commander on the battlefield. Leading his troops and heading the charge against foes. Even in later content, if a Tenno can predict where the Commander would move his squad, they could essentially wipe out two whole squads or the majority of one in one fell swoop.

There's loads of other stuff like that here: