The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

The New Aw Weapons Name Is An Insult In My Region

Fraank

couldn't find an english translation of this site, but the name of the new Archwing Weapon "Grattler" means "dumbass" where i am from nowadays. in earlier days it discribed ppl who live in poverty.

And now it's the name of a ingame weapon. Kinda strange for me.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grattler

not sure if something like this happened before.

Edit: I dont know if something like this happened before, which is why i just wanted to mention it.

Edit2: i cant stop laughing about it #bestupdateEVER

Edited by -ExT-Fraank

I am from germany and this word is neither official part of the german language ( reference being the german Duden [1] - the go to list of official german words ) nor very widespread since it is only part of a german state's dialect ( personally I never heard of it before ).

Its somewhat unrealistic to expect DE to check any dialect in the world ( 7.5 Billion people right now ... and keeps breeding ) before using a new name for a frame / weapon.

Furthermore the word seemingly means something like "Hillbilly" in Bavaria which I personally find rather amusing.

[1] http://www.duden.de/suchen/dudenonline/grattler

Edited by AdFinitum

I am from germany and this word is neither official part of the german language ( reference being the german Duden [1] - the go to list of official german words ) nor very widespread since it is only part of a german state's dialect ( personally I never heard of it before ).

Its somewhat unrealistic to expect DE to check any dialect in the world ( 7.5 Billion people right now ... and keeps breeding ) before using a new name for a frame / weapon.

Furthermore the word seemingly means something like "Hillbilly" in Bavaria which I personally find rather amusing.

[1] http://www.duden.de/suchen/dudenonline/grattler

yes, you might be from germany too but not from bavaria.

First of all: you ll definitely not find any kind of dialekt in the Duden, because according to mr. duden that's not german. Kinda racist, though.

aand no, you cant translate it with "Hillbilly", it s even more incorrect than "dumbass"

Edit: with region i mean "bavaria/tirol", not germany

Edited by -ExT-Fraank

yes, you might be from germany too but not from bavaria.

First of all: you ll definitely not find any kind of dialekt in the Duden, because according to mr. duden that's not german. Kinda racist, though.

aand no, you cant translate it with "Hillbilly", it s even more incorrect than "dumbass"

Edit: with region i mean "bavaria/tirol", not germany

Not finding dialects in the Duden is pretty normal, because noone puts dialects in Dictionaries of ones country language, it usually is only the "official - high spoken part" for dialects you need to buy separate dictionaries if such exist for your country. 

Also while we're at it, look up "racist" on dictionary.com and you will find out it doesn't mean what you think it means, so please stop using it in that way. 

Not finding dialects in the Duden is pretty normal, because noone puts dialects in Dictionaries of ones country language, it usually is only the "official - high spoken part" for dialects you need to buy separate dictionaries if such exist for your country. 

Also while we're at it, look up "racist" on dictionary.com and you will find out it doesn't mean what you think it means, so please stop using it in that way. 

Who the hell cares? Just stop derailing the damn topic.

My point simply is, that in the region i am from, the word "Grattler" is an insult. Older ppl know it younger probably ppl don't. That s it.

"hillbilly" is definitely not the proper translation. there are otherwords to discribe a "hillbilly /Hinterwäldler". And actually i said that there is no dialekt in a dictionary, which is what you basically wrote in your answer. Did you even read my post correctly. I think you only read the one word i used wrong and guess what. I m aware of it. I know that "lingual discriminating" fits better, but, who cares? i dont. cuase that was not the point of the topic.