Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Parkour 2.0 Is Absolutely Breaking My Heart In Disappointment. And I'll Tell You Why.

Onite

I like how they said that in the new system you will need less buttons to press and won't have carpal tunnel syndrome. Well i can say from my own experience that i need to press a lot more buttons, and my hand hurts after playing.

I knew change was coming so I purposefully stopped using Coptering to get used to losing it before hand.

So the new system didn't hit me hard.

Also I found my Sanic strats pretty much immediately.

Rolling ends up picking up speed by quite a lot and chaining it with anything, bullet jump, double jump, wall jump, you end up picking a bit more speed and it's shorter but has more fine control than copter and I do admit I never actually used wallrunning or wall catapult. I only used the infinite wall climb glitch and that's about it. But I do understand. Changing core mechanics is really jarring. I just prepared for it I guess and now I love it.

Parkour 2.0 is nice, Flying Squrrel is also nice.  Why not have both?  My opinion parkour 2.0 is nice for basic movement, but once you take it to the next level, it'll be pretty taxing for your average joe fingers.  For those who's not used to manual microing (like SC2), I believe coptering is a lot easier to manage.

Lol, this is a very emotional thread.

All because of a different look for things.

Front flip changed to Bullet Jump. Only problem there is I still don't know how to control the distance of Bullet Jump. I think it's about holding Ctrl longer.

Wall run changed to Wall hop. I find it a little harder to fling from walls, but I also find it easier to control myself. I can suddenly scale so many obstacles. I would try to fly across a hole, and if I fail, the hopping can save me from falling.

It's slow and painful. You got attached to a changing game. Imagine if you joined during Closed Beta. And fluidity? I would say that this version isn't any less, unless if you can come up with a less vague definition.

Maybe the videos in this thread will help you control the movement better and be faster > https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/501727-tutorial-parkour-20-tips-and-tricks-tutorial-videos-collection/

Personally found the techniques for close to ground movement very taxing and highly unpredictable to pull off on a controller. As melee particularly. The new way to perform close to the ground coptor for mid range is tricky, requires an extra button press, and misses a LOT for some reason. Anything that requires a roll in the combination also seems impossible if also using toggle sprint (at least for my setup anyway).

i dont mind the wall run tbh especially the vertical the horizontal eeeeh flat running sure would have looked nice but then you would *@##$ about the clipping issues ill ignore it but what i really have fallen in love with is rolling in mid air after a bullet jump i can get that extra distance to vault obstacles and it feels REALLY good.  also the ability to go at a diagonal while wall running has made my game. idk about you but i was playing draco earlier and when i wanted to get to a point quickly i did so in under 3 seconds and never once did i over copter into the abyss and reset at point B not once did i directional melee and get get punished with a 2 second fall from an obscene height where im completely vulnerable. if i fall off the map or get shot out of mid air its my own fault and i like that

Everyone's hating on the new system because it's slow (although it's not and it seems that most people that are complaining don't know how to use it's full potential).

I'm just happy it's not dependent on bugs so people can be fast anymore.

Before your everyday wall fling and coptering bugs everyone would just slide constantly to go faster. If you want that back and think it's more "fluid" and "ninja-like" then keep whining and DE might just do something.

Edited by Senpai-Pie

Wow, the hate levels here are amazing!

The only thing I don't like about parkour 2.0 is the bunny hopping allong walls. That aside, I love the bullet jump and double jump, it makes me feel like a space ninja when I bounce across a massive area then bullet dive right into an enemy and begin slicing.

I also completely don't miss the old parkour system where you would latch onto a wall and head in a fixed dierection, or try and climb  aledge and lauynch yourself 10m backwards. Finally I will not miss those coptoring jackasses who looked ridiculous rushing ahead with their boat paddles.

You can't control the distance of the bullet jump, it's a preset length that ignores all momentum and player input save for aiming, and it isn't even very precise about that.

This is one of the limitations that's hard to get used to about the new parkour- there are no short mobility moves the way you could do short little copters before, you move by a certain distance and that's it. It feels quite clunky to anyone was remotely proficient with the old system.

Also, it's not just 'harder' to fling yourself from walls, it's impossible. You can bullet jump out of a wall hop or you can let yourself fall to the ground, but the old momentum fling from wallrun no longer exists.

Just a tip for those having problems with Bullet Jump distance >

1. Hit melee immediately after bullet jump and you will go twice the distance so it's like 2 Bullet Jumps in the air.

2. Hit Jump after Bullet Jump to do a Double Jump and that will also take you much further but also raise your vertical position.

3. Hit Aim to Aim Glide after a Bullet Jump to precisely control where you want to go.

4. Do a Bullet Jump, Aim Glide, do a Double Jump, Aim glide again while holding crouch, to actually increase the speed / momentum of your glide.

Hope this reduces complaints.

I hated parkour for all of 30 minutes before I figured it out. Then I started having some real fun in the game. Coptering to me with the tipedo was arguably faster, but without any control, my mean time in missions was inflated. With the new parkour system, I have a higher overall speed in every mission because I can keep moving and not smash into walls with coptering. Sure, I have to practice quite a lot with each tileset before I notice any improvements, but that's because it's a new system and I have to stop thinking in straight lines. I've also noticed that rhytm is an important part too.

Somebody said this wasn't parkour and I agree. But on the other hand, so wasn't the old system either. If DE ever implemented realistic parkour, I think I'd quit the game, because realistic parkour is boring.

Edited by Hap-muhr

Just a tip for those having problems with Bullet Jump distance >

1. Hit melee immediately after bullet jump and you will go twice the distance so it's like 2 Bullet Jumps in the air.

2. Hit Jump after Bullet Jump to do a Double Jump and that will also take you much further but also raise your vertical position.

3. Hit Aim to Aim Glide after a Bullet Jump to precisely control where you want to go.

4. Do a Bullet Jump, Aim Glide, do a Double Jump, Aim glide again while holding crouch, to actually increase the speed / momentum of your glide.

Hope this reduces complaints.

Very good, you've told us how to maximize the distance of movements involving bullet jump.

Now tell us how to do a shorter bullet jump.

You can't. That's what my post was about.

Hope this improves reading comprehension.

Very good, you've told us how to maximize the distance of movements involving bullet jump.

How to do a shorter bullet jump : Use a regular jump instead genius, a bullet jump is for longer distances.

You never clearly stated that, you left it up to the reader to decide. I was just trying to help people looking for ways to extend Bullet Jump but thanks for the snark.

If you so badly want something with a shorter distance than Bullet Jump which already takes you only about 8 to 10 metres, then I'd suggest rolling forward by simply tapping roll or single jumping while sprinting forward and then pressing crouch immediately to do the flying kick like old times.

It's like you want to find meaningless problems just to have something to complain about since you don't like the new system. Everyone else is atleast sensibly complaining that the system makes them go slower, and here you are complaining that you can't go slow enough.

And my last line wasn't directed at you as snark, it was directed at everyone who is struggling to come to terms with the new system and I genuinely meant that I hope it helps and reduces complaints.

You never clearly stated that, you left it up to the reader to decide. I was just trying to help people looking for ways to extend Bullet Jump but thanks for the snark.

If you so badly want something with a shorter distance than Bullet Jump which already takes you only about 8 to 10 metres, then I'd suggest rolling forward by simply tapping roll or single jumping while sprinting forward and then pressing crouch immediately to do the flying kick like old times.

It's like you want to find meaningless problems just to have something to complain about since you don't like the new system. Everyone else is atleast sensibly complaining that the system makes them go slower, and here you are complaining that you can't go slow enough.

And my last line wasn't directed at you as snark, it was directed at everyone who is struggling to come to terms with the new system and I genuinely meant that I hope it helps and reduces complaints.

My post was clear: I was discussing one of the many limitations of a movement system based on canned animations that cannot be varied through player input. Not only can you not go as fast as the old movement, but you also can't do short-but-quick relocations. That's not the same thing as "not being able to go slow enough".

Don't you think it's a problem when a deliberately designed system ends up being less versatile and useful than one that just happened by accident as a result of a weird bug?

I interpret not just your last line but your entire post as "snark". You prove that you didn't even read what I wrote, or what much of anyone else wrote, in the first place: the things you post may be useful but they're entirely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. I don't believe you're actually trying to help when you refuse to even engage in the same discussion as the people whom you disagree with.

You're clinging to the condescending belief that everyone who dislikes the new parkour is just terrible at it. Actually, I've looked over your tutorial thread, and nothing in it is news to me. Just because the system can be made to work doesn't make it not awkward, or as fun as the buggy old system.

I found a very simple technique for moving around the level.   I press 'w' to move forward and change direction with the mouse.  No cramped fingers!!!

I do like the new movement update, but perhaps that's because I never speed run the levels unless forced to by a PUG.

After getting through 9 pages of feedback on the changes to movement...and watch that mildly entertaining video on clearing a long stretch of Void by jumping and gliding  etc. I've come to some conclusions.

-Some people want to clear a level in under a minute

-Objects in the way can bring a run to a dead stop

-Continuous movement in a straight unbroken manner is preferred

-These people have obviously mistaken Warframe for Gran Turismo or Need for Speed. 

Excuse the sarcasm.

I will admit the animations don't fit and skipping across or up a wall is a bit ugly.  Wall grab is just odd, the energy effect doesn't look good, actually grabbing the wall would.   I would vote for removing the energy effects from the new movement modes. Just not needed.

Apart from that..I like the update. I don't love it but I don't hate it either.

Edited by Praetorveel

Dear GOD dont bring back coptering!

i would like to use non-movement based melee weapons please.

I like being able to slide jump in any direction.

I like having control over my speed and trajectory.

I've become more mobile, more predictable and more in-control over the coptering days.

while wall-hopping looks a bit dopey, its still funtionally better than railroading myself along only flat surfaces and looks heaps better than railroading to a railgun like dismount in some random direction. (usually into a pit) or coptering, remember calling it coptering comes from making fun of the dumb way it looked.

this is much better easier for controllers as well. 

in summation:

Give my silly looking hopping that i use over equally silly looking coptering and wall flinging i dont.

Without the stamina this game turned more unrealistic because now of the infinite run and jumps. 

I AM A NINJA-SPACE-WIZARD

My post was clear: I was discussing one of the many limitations of a movement system based on canned animations that cannot be varied through player input. Not only can you not go as fast as the old movement, but you also can't do short-but-quick relocations. That's not the same thing as "not being able to go slow enough".

Don't you think it's a problem when a deliberately designed system ends up being less versatile and useful than one that just happened by accident as a result of a weird bug?

I interpret not just your last line but your entire post as "snark". You prove that you didn't even read what I wrote, or what much of anyone else wrote, in the first place: the things you post may be useful but they're entirely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. I don't believe you're actually trying to help when you refuse to even engage in the same discussion as the people whom you disagree with.

You're clinging to the condescending belief that everyone who dislikes the new parkour is just terrible at it. Actually, I've looked over your tutorial thread, and nothing in it is news to me. Just because the system can be made to work doesn't make it not awkward, or as fun as the buggy old system.

I've already given my feedback twice in this thread long before our discussion started, have been following this thread since it started and have read every post. And yes, if people are complaining about it, there are only two reasons: 1. Either they haven't managed to grasp it well enough and aren't able to be effective with it or 2. They hate it and want their coptering back no questions asked.

With my posts and tutorial thread (which is not just from my efforts, a lot of people have been experimenting and have found various ways to use the system effectively, hence the various videos) I'm hoping to solve the problem for the first set of people who only need to be helped with how to use the system properly. I do not aim to change the minds of those who are hell bent on hating it for whatever reasons they claim.

All I have tried, through reasoning and guidance, is to get people to like the new system more and come to terms with it and have no intention of being condescending as you claim.

"Just because the system can be made to work doesn't make it not awkward, or as fun as the buggy old system" doesn't seem like a sound reason to bring back the old system.

If you actually gave constructive feedback it wouldn't look like that, it would be about how to fix problem A by changing it and adding or subtracting movement or system B. Whatever you said on the last page was utterly vague and unlike others who have specifically stated what they do or don't like, what you say has no context or meaning to anyone else.

If you are so troubled by not being able to make "precise movements with Bullet Jump" then please make a video or something to explain to all of us what you fail to do in the game or state exactly how much distance you would like to move in exactly which direction and in exactly how much time. Only then maybe someone will be able to give some positive replies to your problem, but until then it's meaningless to us. And I say us, since no one else has really understood your problem enough to rally behind it or respond to it.

EDIT: Mistook this thread for the Parkour 2.0 Feedback Megathread (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/497998-parkour-20-u17-megathread-topic/) since I have been posting in both these threads. My apologies. Rest of the points still stand.

Edited by Sci_Ant

Coptering haters said : But parkour 2.0 will give us more control!

More control? No way, 99% of time when I try to bullet jump forward I just hit the roof of the tile; 99% of things I do toggles off my sprint; bunny hopping still gets me stuck when climbing most walls; and in general, parkour 2.0 is soooo damn slow.

I wish they could keep both systems, coptering and parkour 2.0, so everyone would be happy.

99% of your bullet jumps send you into the ceiling? Sounds to me like you don't know how to make it work properly. And that is why people complain.

Also, when you compare this system to coptering (which is NOT parkour), which allowed you to pretty much teleport, of course it'll seem slow in comparison. 

It's really sad that people come in here and lash out at any criticism. The sort of intellectual cowardice required to disregard any opinions that don't echo your own say a great deal about the shallow reserve of character those individuals must possess. 

I don't like the new system all that much, I think it looks absurd. Whether or not it's functional is largely irrelevant when using these new animations makes me feel more than a little embarrassed; or sometimes outright disgusted! Knowing that they were the result of deliberate effort. Like doing your best Little-Mermaid impression to cover great distances rather than simply taking a sprinters leap. Or impersonating the elusive wall rabbit across various dark corridors, when a simple wallrun might have done. Or relying on your wire-fu magic glue to slow you down and make those mid-air shots as easy as possible. Or repurposing said magic space glue to stick you to walls, when you in fact have hands that might have achieved a similar result. It's a system that wants to make changes to gameplay, but does not work to achieve them logically. Parkour 2.0 instead relies on fantastical and absurd aesthetic elements as justification for results that practical movements could have just as easily achieved, and without so much ire...

It's really sad that people come in here and lash out at any criticism. The sort of intellectual cowardice required to disregard any opinions that don't echo your own say a great deal about the shallow reserve of character those individuals must possess. 

I don't like the new system all that much, I think it looks absurd. Whether or not it's functional is largely irrelevant when using these new animations makes me feel more than a little embarrassed; or sometimes outright disgusted! Knowing that they were the result of deliberate effort. Like doing your best Little-Mermaid impression to cover great distances rather than simply taking a sprinters leap. Or impersonating the elusive wall rabbit across various dark corridors, when a simple wallrun might have done. Or relying on your wire-fu magic glue to slow you down and make those mid-air shots as easy as possible. Or repurposing said magic space glue to stick you to walls, when you in fact have hands that might have achieved a similar result. It's a system that wants to make changes to gameplay, but does not work to achieve them logically. Parkour 2.0 instead relies on fantastical and absurd aesthetic elements as justification for results that practical movements could have just as easily achieved, and without so much ire...

^ what more is there to say?

Here's your problem solved, hope it helps :

I get the wall run animation complaint, but everything else is generally still a HUGE improvement over the previous, "lazy" or not. Honestly, I haven't played Warframe as much as I have since update 17 for quite some time, and I'm a huge Warframe player (I'm not sure how much of my 2000+ hours was me running the game in the background on my desktop, but regardless I've been playing since update 8 and I've logged on every week.)

The thing for me is, Parkour 2.0 adds a level of pacing to moving around the environments that makes them feel interactive, and thats something I honestly couldn't say before. I love the extreme speed I can travel with Parkour 2.0, it's pretty much like coptering but feels more like flying with the air glide and I can jump back and forth between surfaces on walls like a ninja.

I honestly am not quite sure what your asking here, the Parkour 2.0 system is an improvement, and going back to the previous system would be a huge step in the wrong direction. If you haven't tried Conclave PvP with the new parkour, I don't think you fully realize that the problem is not the movement system as much as it's the level design and enemies. The double jump is incredibly crucial in evading fire while vertically ascending a wall, without it you wouldn't be able to dodge as well and you'd loose a lot of your control of movement in the air, making air combat less skill based.

Current Tilesets and Enemies are based on the Old Parkour, which was fairly linear and none game changing. The new system allows for crazy fast paced fights that, if you practice enough, will push your reaction time to it's limits and feel highly rewarding when you see yourself getting head shots during crazy parkour stunts whilst dodging all the enemy fire. It was a huge step towards a future Warframe that I'm really excited to see.

That said, I can completely agree, the Parkour system is not "done" and in many regards I'm sure this update could have been "better". Many elements of movement certainly still need to be worked on, such as ledge vaulting and possibly wall movement such as clinging and vertical speed when climbing etc etc, but yeah, I don't know if I'd go and say I'm DISAPPOINTED that we have a more fun game now, even if it's obviously still got flaws.

Edited by Temphis