Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Where is the story?

lestes

You can try to call it an excuse, but from what I've seen, the team is most focused on making sure the gameplay is correct before anything. Either way, neither one of us is within the Master or Grand Master category, so what we see is only on the outside. Want to really see what's going on? I suggest talking to a Master or Grand Master.

The funds just weren't there for the team to push an almost complete game out. We've volunteered to be their team. It'll be your choice to watch this game grow into something crazy-amazing. If you're that upset over an obviously unfinished product that's as glorious as this, might I suggest Hello Kitty Online?

Ok, I was going to explain my reasoning, but you decided to act childish so I'm no longer indulging you. For the record, I am not at all "upset" about the game, I do however feel that the potential of the setting is being wasted with their current method of doing things.

Story really connects a player to the game. Having a purpose to level to gear up and fight for it . Adds big fun .

I agree, the trouble is, at least right now, we're likely not going to see it any time soon. The initial dev diary was quite telling. Any time you hear a developer say "We don't want our story to get in the way, we want the players to make their own story" in anything but perhaps a sandbox MMO, that's code for "We really dont have the resources/care about fleshing out the story". And you know what, if you don't have the resources? That's fine! But I'll respect your company a hell of a lot more by just saying it than making excuses. As it stands, based on that statement, I don't expect them to ever push the story beyond the existing framework of "Here's some dudes, they're bad, go kill them for some reason and obey these handfuls of wave files"

Edited by Kordesh

From the Design Council: Story is being written as we type. It will come, and it is actually quite cool. Give it some time. Currently, we're working on the gameplay superstructure. :)

Sounds great.

I'm glad there's a context for players to raise their early concerns, here, nonetheless.

One point I would raise in response to hearing this: gameplay should co-evolve with and from the story: Look at Dead Island, where the early absence of firearms not only determines skill choice but also shapes your sense of vulnerability in the game world as well as your capacity as a 'savior' rather than a 'survivor'.

This is even more true for a genre like MMO where the distinction between 'veteran' Warframes and 'recruit' Warframes will be very steep. As one progresses in the game, one should have a deeper sense of the game world and its lore than new players.

I'm just trying to reiterate my belief that story should not be an icing applied to the top layer of the cake later - it should be thoroughly integrated into (as you said) the gameplay superstructure and should develop along with the gameplay.

Sounds great.

I'm glad there's a context for players to raise their early concerns, here, nonetheless.

One point I would raise in response to hearing this: gameplay should co-evolve with and from the story: Look at Dead Island, where the early absence of firearms not only determines skill choice but also shapes your sense of vulnerability in the game world as well as your capacity as a 'savior' rather than a 'survivor'.

This is even more true for a genre like MMO where the distinction between 'veteran' Warframes and 'recruit' Warframes will be very steep. As one progresses in the game, one should have a deeper sense of the game world and its lore than new players.

I'm just trying to reiterate my belief that story should not be an icing applied to the top layer of the cake later - it should be thoroughly integrated into (as you said) the gameplay superstructure and should develop along with the gameplay.

Almost every game starts you off with weaker weapons and you progress towards stronger ones. Also, this is not an MMO.

Edited by Wiawyr

From the Design Council: Story is being written as we type. It will come, and it is actually quite cool. Give it some time. Currently, we're working on the gameplay superstructure. :)

Works for me. Glad to see they do have plans to flesh things out. Obviously, you need to have a game in place first for that story to take place in, my concern is that we might see another game where the devs just say "eh, good enough" and never give you a reason to keep playing. The gameplay makes the game fun, but the story/setting/atmosphere is what gets people to keep coming back (well, that and content updates =p)

Edited by Kordesh