Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scorpions: My Official New Least Favorite Enemy

Nubsawce

Hi.

Clearly, as you can see by the title, I'm going to be upset about Scorpions.

The problem is, at least for me, that I enjoy playing solo sometimes, usually when I'm rushing a map, say, to farm a boss for a bp or some such. Sometimes I also just don't want to work at anyone else's pace while I kill things. But try to enjoy being pulled across entire rooms while stunned by Scorpion spams. See if you live if you aren't lucky with your Redirection drops. As a frost with +240% shields I was once stunned five times in a row by scorpions and pulled across the entire boss room for Tyl Regor. I barely survived because I could press 4 and kill everything spamming bullets (or his sword, in regor's case) at me.

How is the scorpion adding ANYTHING but frustration?

What's worse is that they can't seem to miss their stun, and they launch it basically instantly. They turn the corner and you are stunned, within a fraction of a second. I don't see any way I could counter this. I simply don't have a way to do so.

In general, I'm just tired of seeing stun being used to add difficulty. Scorchers are cool. They feel unique and they're not frustrating in the game. Any time you get damaged by a Scorcher, it feels like you deserve it, except when it's because you've been pulled about 50 meters by scorpion wires. Then it's just frustrating. Combine these with rollers, and I pretty much hate the Grineer still. I'm gonna fight Corpus, because there is one stun, and it's got a tell with a way to counter it (namely, they are very killable in the time it takes them to stomp, and you get punished if you don't prioritize them. Fine. I can deal with that kind of stunning).

TLDR: Stop making Grineer units have hard-or-impossible-to-stop stuns. Please. I don't understand who thought this was fun, this stun spam that has been Grineer since Rollers came out.

Hi.

Clearly, as you can see by the title, I'm going to be upset about Scorpions.

The problem is, at least for me, that I enjoy playing solo sometimes, usually when I'm rushing a map, say, to farm a boss for a bp or some such. Sometimes I also just don't want to work at anyone else's pace while I kill things. But try to enjoy being pulled across entire rooms while stunned by Scorpion spams. See if you live if you aren't lucky with your Redirection drops. As a frost with +240% shields I was once stunned five times in a row by scorpions and pulled across the entire boss room for Tyl Regor. I barely survived because I could press 4 and kill everything spamming bullets (or his sword, in regor's case) at me.

How is the scorpion adding ANYTHING but frustration?

What's worse is that they can't seem to miss their stun, and they launch it basically instantly. They turn the corner and you are stunned, within a fraction of a second. I don't see any way I could counter this. I simply don't have a way to do so.

In general, I'm just tired of seeing stun being used to add difficulty. Scorchers are cool. They feel unique and they're not frustrating in the game. Any time you get damaged by a Scorcher, it feels like you deserve it, except when it's because you've been pulled about 50 meters by scorpion wires. Then it's just frustrating. Combine these with rollers, and I pretty much hate the Grineer still. I'm gonna fight Corpus, because there is one stun, and it's got a tell with a way to counter it (namely, they are very killable in the time it takes them to stomp, and you get punished if you don't prioritize them. Fine. I can deal with that kind of stunning).

TLDR: Stop making Grineer units have hard-or-impossible-to-stop stuns. Please. I don't understand who thought this was fun, this stun spam that has been Grineer since Rollers came out.

Scorpion stuns are entirely preventable.   Kill them. Just like with rollers :|

If I am not mistaken in the last live stream they said one of the problems they seen was people rushing through the maps.  That's not what they intended, so maybe it's one of the steps in slowing people down on maps.

Scorpion stuns are entirely preventable.   Kill them. Just like with rollers :|

If you read the entire thing, some scorpion stuns are NOT preventable. If you are in a hallway and they turn a corner, they will stun you. My reflexes are not faster than the fraction of a second to see, aim, and shoot while I have other Grineer shooting at me too. Maybe if all I were doing was trying to sniff them out and shoot them, I could do it. But I'm not, nor should I have to focus solely on them to try to stop this.

If you read the entire thing, some scorpion stuns are NOT preventable. If you are in a hallway and they turn a corner, they will stun you. My reflexes are not faster than the fraction of a second to see, aim, and shoot while I have other Grineer shooting at me too. Maybe if all I were doing was trying to sniff them out and shoot them, I could do it. But I'm not, nor should I have to focus solely on them to try to stop this.

Then turn corners more carefully :|

Then turn corners more carefully :|

No, THEY turn the corner. I do not. It's akin to playing whack-a-mole where the moles have scorpion wires and only give you .25 seconds to smack them with your mallet.

EDIT: And if you miss one mole, all the rest of the moles stun for free.

Edited by Nubsawce

No, THEY turn the corner. I do not. It's akin to playing whack-a-mole where the moles have scorpion wires and only give you .25 seconds to smack them with your mallet.

EDIT: And if you miss one mole, all the rest of the moles stun for free.

So basically you're complaining about the game not being easy enough.  It's a shooter, reaction time is supposed to be important.

Edited by Aggh

So basically you're complaining about the game not being easy enough.  It's a shooter, reaction time is supposed to be important.

I have spent two posts simply correcting your inability to read the entire original post, and now you just tell me I'm crying to make a game easy. No, I'm not. I don't think the Corpus are "easy". I also see no reason to change anything about them.

What I want, if you could take a moment and try to be charitable with what I'm arguing here, instead of coming in with the intent to shut me down in one way or another, you might see what I don't like is loss of player control being a punishment for all but the leetest of the leet reaction time players. You're too pro for me, man.

If we want difficulty, do it like the corpus. Make their guns more of a threat. Give them electric burst traps that damage our shields or something if you want us to slow down. Stunning is the problem. I want to be in control of my own fate, live or die.

Grineer seem to have decided, if slowing people down is the goal, to make me liable to be dragged into the center of a room because I couldn't shoot someone in a fraction of a second. Really? That's a rather extreme punishment just because I'm not super leet.

They seem to really mess with some players and others like myself I didn't even know they had a grapple until after I killed like a 100 of them. They can be dealt with, since other players have no problems with them. You will have to change up your play style vs grineer though, because clearly whatever you are doing now... isn't working.  :)

I agree. The Grineer are no longer fun to fight. The rollers are annoying but with a cryo round on your weapon and your sentinel, or some aiming skill, they're doable. Sometimes even fun. But the scorpions are just an instant stun-lock loss of control frustrating beatdown. There doesn't seem to be a trick or skill in preventing their attacks. You can't dodge, roll, or react to it.

If you aren't being frustratingly stunned by them it's because you aren't the frame in the lead. Try it sometime.

I have spent two posts simply correcting your inability to read the entire original post, and now you just tell me I'm crying to make a game easy. No, I'm not. I don't think the Corpus are "easy". I also see no reason to change anything about them.

What I want, if you could take a moment and try to be charitable with what I'm arguing here, instead of coming in with the intent to shut me down in one way or another, you might see what I don't like is loss of player control being a punishment for all but the leetest of the leet reaction time players. You're too pro for me, man.

If we want difficulty, do it like the corpus. Make their guns more of a threat. Give them electric burst traps that damage our shields or something if you want us to slow down. Stunning is the problem. I want to be in control of my own fate, live or die.

Grineer seem to have decided, if slowing people down is the goal, to make me liable to be dragged into the center of a room because I couldn't shoot someone in a fraction of a second. Really? That's a rather extreme punishment just because I'm not super leet.

The corpus also have a stun (railgun moa, which btw, shoots through walls) and a knockdown (shockwave) and laser doors.  Why not complain about them too?  It's the same difference between rollers and scorpion, all easily avoided, just kills them.  This sounds exactly like the complaints about the roller, and next to nothing has been done about them and the complaints have cut down to a tiny fraction of what they used to be.  It'd be easier to take these complaints seriously if it weren't just people compaling about stuns because they're stuns, and then making baseless claims about how they're impossible to react to in time.

Edited by Aggh

Railgun Moas currently use auditory detection to seek targets through walls. They fire at the last sound they hear; if you move after firing your weapon, they will miss their target. There is also a charge-up sound to denote they are targeting you. Railgun Moas are fine as they are because they let you know they're about to shoot through a wall via auditory denotation.

Scorpions grapple through walls if their target is in range with no notification or wind-up. The only change I would make to Scorpions is to double-check their targeting to make sure they can actually see the target before they grapple it. They don't play a warning charge-up noise when shooting through walls, otherwise their through-walls targeting would be fine as-is.

Also: Please note that my disagreeing with someone does not mean I am against them. I'm not looking for a fight; I'm simply stating my opinion, and will respect yours. :)

Edited by Kahruvel

I'll also add that Scorpion wires are instant and cannot be dodged, have no clear limitation on range, and cannot be blocked by obstacles.

Aggh, you say that we should be more careful before turning the corner, but you need to keep in mind, Scorpions don't need you to turn the corner to hit you. They will instantly grab you through the wall.

It's one thing to react to a threat, but you cannot react to Scorpions, because what they do happens entirely instantly and unfairly.

It might be better when a player has to press a key (space maybe?) to get out of the "hook". It's very annoying to get pulled through the room and being shot by all Grineers. I never expected to face a more annoying enemy than the Rollers.

Being the space-ninja's we are, it seems not out of line for our frames to immediatly swap to our sidearms as a means to defend ourselves. Akin to being downed in a multi-player mission while awaiting revival. At least this way we are not totally defenseless.

i'd argue that rollers are better since well they have to get to you for any of their effects do anything to you. scorpions however, as soon as you turn the corner you're knocked over... hell, you don't even know there are grenneer commanders in the mix till it does the switch teleport. so now we have a faction that punishes you for being in or out of cover (and punish you for even daring to play solo... because finding 2 heavy gunners at the bottom of an elevator while using loki...).

Edited by KhanCipher

I admit that they have a faulty vision of what is "challenging", but IMO it's just that they don't have enough dev time and ressources ... so we end up with this crappy new foe - As a rushing loki those scorpions spell doom for me, and i'm pretty sure they were ment to be (remember what they had said about wanting to kill rushing?), except that my loki (even with potato and 2x forma) cannot survive them, I have no tool to counter them ... speed was my tank well now i'm naked ô_o - Fix it or make the game less fun for people like me and my frends who just want to race and troll each other in a friendly way (teleport) for the giggles...  fighting is boring (even the weapon sounds are ... weak, i don't feel like i'm firing bullets), this is maybe going to be fixed with the clan weapons but for now speed and speed-killing is the only thing that makes me feel "WOOOH I'M A SPACE NINJA" in this game, remove that and you're just risking to lose customers

The pro is she only stuns once and that's it, the con is she is 100% to stun, leaving you vulnerable to every single enemy, once u encounter her and not killing her fast enough within her pulling range. I would still prefer her to the rollers though, they are kinda like grineer version of shockwave moa.

But there is one incident that piss me off: there are two of them and they pulled me towards the flamethrower guy consecutively and that was my first death, in like a month?