Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Armor

Parashjin

Hey everyone ^_^

I have an idea for melee only, an idea to fill these empty primary and secondary slots.

My Idea is that you can get an Armor, that takes both the primary and seconday slots.

This Armor will add like +100 armor and will have 1 mod slot for an special armor mod.

The Mods should have effects like: Channeling efficiency, Autoblock or damage reflect on blocking or anything that beneftis melee.

I think it should look like shoulderplates or something, and they should also be hideable like the rest of these weapons.

I hope you like this idea.

Actually, this is a half-decent idea. What if we could apply shield generators, armor, or health-improving mods into the other two slots when only running melee? I don't think they should be modified like weapons can be, but upgraded via fusion perhaps? 

It would certainly help players use melee, which at this point is almost impossible in high-tier missions for any frame other than Valkyr, Chroma, or Rhino. 

but what happens if you go down though?

perhaps that could be one of the draw backs.

having high damage mitigation combined with a high risk high reward style of play (melee would need to be buffed a tad), could have the drawback of being unable to keep enemies off your team mates while you're downed.

I would be totally okay with this trade off (if melee was buffed)

+1 OP

IMHO there should be default/built-in benefits from not equipping a primary or sidearm

back in the day it could have been a large increase in max stamina or regen

but these days i think it should be an increase to dmg reduced during blocking and an increase in dmg returned while parrying and even a drastic reduction in channeling costs

maybe even some mini-bonuses to movement spd or parkour, ie think like half/quarter of the benefits of mobilize or rush per slot not filled

whether to allow other non-weapon gear to go into those slots as alternates is another neat idea fer shur tho

perhaps that could be one of the draw backs.

having high damage mitigation combined with a high risk high reward style of play (melee would need to be buffed a tad), could have the drawback of being unable to keep enemies off your team mates while you're downed.

I would be totally okay with this trade off (if melee was buffed)

that'll take a while, power creep is strong in this game and many weapons are just pathetic in higher content

hmm placing channeling mods and mellee mods, would make sword alone more interesting, but what happens if you go down though?

The same thing that happens when you don't have a secondary equipped & you get downed......nothing. 

A flat 100 armor is nothing. People need to understand this.

What you want is damage reduction, something like.. maybe 50%

Since you're giving up a primary and secondary that's more than fair.

Then if it can have a mod slot, or two, leave choices open to suit different game play styles. Like life steal, attack speed, attack damage, channeling efficiency, crit chance, etc.

If we use flat rates instead of percentage based amounts, it would be more balanced.

I like OPs idea (as I stated earlier) however I think each armor piece should give 150 or 175.

in any event, I'll use OPs numbers in this example.

Example 1: with flat armor increase

A warframe (Mag in this case) with 65 armor, puts armor(each pieces gives 100 armor) on both primary and secondary slots for grand total of 265 armor, Mag has had her damage mitigation increased from 18% to roughly 47%. a shot for 100 damage would deal 53

Now a warframe (valkyr) with 600 base armor puts on this armor as well, her D.M has gone from 66% to 72%. a shot for 100 damage would deal 28

Example 2: with sakatchi's suggestion 

Mag equips the armor in both slots (each piece will give 25% damage reduction), she now has a passive 50% damage reduction on top of her armor mitigation and gets shot for 100 damage, the equipment reduces the damage to 50 and then Mags innate armor reduces it further, down to 41

Valkyr does the same thing, 100 damage, lowered to 50 and then lowered by her innate armor down to 17.

I suppose sakatchi's suggestion would be better for melee players, since with this method, the damage reduction from the equipment wouldn't be susceptible to damage types such as puncture or slash.

edit: forgot mags armor is 65.

edit2: removed unnecessary and incorrect math.

edit3: F***! why did I even write this... [size=2]remember kids! stay in school![/size]

Edited by RIOTx

If we use flat rates instead of percentage based amounts, it would be more balanced.

I like OPs idea (as I stated earlier) however I think each armor piece should give 150 or 175.

in any event, I'll use his suggestion in this example.

Example 1: A warframe (Mag in this case) with 15 armor, puts armor on both primary and secondary slots for grand total of 215 armor, Mag has had her damage mitigation increased from 5% to roughly 40%.

Now a warframe (valkyr) with 600 base armor puts on this armor as well, their D.M has gone from 66% to 72%.

Example 2:

Mag puts on armor for both slots (I assume each armor piece would be 25% additive) her D.M is up to 55%.

Now Valkyr does the same thing. She now has 110% damage mitigation, this would break the game unless there was some cap put in place, further more, assuming the D.M cap would be 99%, this would also make steel fiber a useless mod.

Now unless you're talking a 2 stage system

E.G grineer shoots valkyr with armor for 100 damage. Armor reduces damage by 50% to 50 and then the warframes base armor lowers the damage further, from 50 down to 17.

If we were to use mag instead, she would take 47.5 damage.

in which case I would still say flat rates would be more balanced, provided that the flat rates are higher then 150 for each piece of armor

Your second example is incorrect actually, the additional Effective HP wouldn't stack additive with DR. The actual equation would be (based on your numbers) Mag with an effective DR of 52.5% and Valkyr with an effective DR of 83%

Your second example is incorrect actually, the additional Effective HP wouldn't stack additive with DR. The actual equation would be (based on your numbers) Mag with an effective DR of 52.5% and Valkyr with an effective DR of 83%

My second example was using sakatchi's suggestion to use percentage based damage reduction, which I assume would be additive to the base damage mitigation of the warframe and not multiplicative, if it was, the armor would be useless on frames with low base armor.

Do note that I am not taking EHP into account, only armor.

I am using the damage reduction formula from the wiki

Edited by RIOTx

Since you're giving up a primary and secondary that's more than fair.

Then if it can have a mod slot, or two, leave choices open to suit different game play styles. Like life steal, attack speed, attack damage, channeling efficiency, crit chance, etc.

well he said like. It's an idea, so there's plenty of room for revision.