Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Does The 64-Bit Mode In The Laucher Do Exactly?

overdosed

Question

I was having problems with the steam overlay and after a short search discovered that disabling 64-bit mode in the launcher fixes it. So now the overlay works, but what exactly does 64-bit mode do? Isnt it supposed to have something to do with multicore processors?

7 answers to this question

In short, 64bit processing allows a program to access more memory and better handle more compute-heavy tasks (like video encoding). It is like putting leftovers away in two small containers (32) versus one big one (64) when you can only handle one container at a time.

For more detailed explanations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit_computing#Pros_and_cons

I don't know if Warframe gets a performance boost or hit with one mode or the other. I've tried both modes on two machines and neither machine showed a noticeable difference.

Edited by Rand0mNumbers

In short, 64bit processing allows a program to access more memory and better handle more compute-heavy tasks (like video encoding). It is like putting leftovers away in two small containers (32) versus one big one (64) when you can only handle one container at a time.

For more detailed explanations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit_computing#Pros_and_cons

I don't know if Warframe gets a performance boost or hit with one mode or the other. I've tried both modes on two machines and neither machine showed a noticeable difference.

I was just asking what exactly does it do in warframe. Im acquainted with what it does in general. And what would that have to do with the steam overlay is also strange.

In simple words :

Running Warframe as a 64-bit process allows Windows to allocate more than 2GB to it. Meaning, its RAM usagecan go over 2GB without it crashing.

Ah I see, tnx. And btw what would this have to do with the steam overlay, and why would this prevent it from working? Its kinda annoying.

It could prevent steam layout from working if steam layout doesn't support 64-bit games. Though, I assume it does. My steam layout works as long as I don't have fraps or dxtory running in the background. Those seem to crash it silently.

It could prevent steam layout from working if steam layout doesn't support 64-bit games. Though, I assume it does. My steam layout works as long as I don't have fraps or dxtory running in the background. Those seem to crash it silently.

Ok thats new. Before i used fraps, now i use dxtory, Mostly for screens and the fps counter, but i also use dxtory to limit my fps. So for now, its either disable 64bit or disable dxtory. Hmm i guess ill live without the overlay xD