The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Warframe Market Is A Joke And Actively Discourages Impulse Purchases (Updated, Includes Solution To Installed Catalysts/weapon Slot On Weapons)

Sadly I don't see this changing- but I bet they would make more money from mass sales then the current system. I play other "Free-mium" style games and this one has some of hte most expensive prices for the currency and items of those I play.

At the prices the op listed some of that stuff I'd actually be more willing to buy it, At the current prices I'd rather farm for the weapons and frames because almost 30 bucks for one frame is a wee bit silly.

I'm sure everybody by now has noticed how absurdly priced everything is in the Warframe market.

DE, why is everything so expensive? I know you're new to the whole F2P scene, but making everything cost an arm and a leg is not how you make a profit. Who are you appealing to with garbage like this?

pricejoke.png

125 Platinum (nearly $10) for a Dual Skana? And it's apparently on sale? How does this count as a sale? Last I checked, sales were meant to be enticing to at least somebody.

800 Platinum (the price of the average AAA game you can find on Steam) for two poxy reskins and a scythe?

Who is going to buy these besides people who have zero sense of what money is worth?

When you put things up in the store, you want to appeal to the average Joe. The guy who has $5 left in his account after paying the bills. The kid who got $5 for delivering newspapers and wants to spend it on his favorite game. You appeal to these people because they are your most common customer, the broadest audience that plays your game. You DON'T want to purely appeal to people who apparently S#&$ money and own a Bentley, because that's what it seems you're doing.

priceplat.png

These are your cheapest Platinum packs, these are the most commonly bought packages. Appeal to the people who will only put money down on THESE packages. Take advantage of the rich folk second.

Now I know what some of you will be thinking. "DE can price these things however they want, it's their game and they need to eat!" Fair enough, but pricing items so that NOBODY but rich kids will buy them is not how you make a profit. What's more likely to earn the highest amount of dough; a cheap product that sells continuously or a really expensive product that barely sells at all?

I personally spent some time altering some market prices as an example and discussed with others what we agreed they should be. This is in by no means a "DO THIS NOW," it's merely a suggestion we feel would help DE earn more profit and make the overall playerbase much happier. That in the end is what matters.

priceedit1.png

As you can see for weapons, we agreed upon a $5 limit. After all these weapons can be farmed up with relative ease. So what good is it to make half the weapons cost $15 when somebody will immediately jump back and just say "I can farm these weapons up in like an hour of farming, I'm not paying that much."

You want to make the ability to purchase these weapons seem like a service instead of a complete con. If the weapons were priced as they were above, a person would actually think about purchasing some of these weapons. "It would take ages to get those Akboltos if I did it normally. $5 isn't that much after all so I guess it's okay to buy them, and it comes with an Orokin Catalyst and a weapon slot as well."

The person wouldn't feel ripped off, unlike the current system, because for all intents and purposes he didn't get ripped off, he got a pretty damn good deal. That's what you want, you want everybody to consider buying weapons from the store first, before they even think of grinding the weapon up in game.

Here's another one we did for the actual frames.

priceedit2.png

I know I know, we bumped up the price of Loki, Volt and Excalibur. But overall every frame is now in line of $10-$15. That's what we felt would be the best price zone for them and what the average consumer would appreciate more. Instead of crap like Rhino and Ash costing 325 Platinum which is just insane. Did people even buy those? If you did, you got ripped hard.

Another thing DE needs to start doing is having sales that matter. Sales are ALWAYS when companies and other businesses earn the biggest profit, people love a good sale and will usually save up some money waiting for one to drop. Look at the above frame prices, they're okay, they'd be purchased a few times, certainly A LOT more than they are now, which is more money in the bank for DE. But what if... ALL FEMALE FRAMES 50% OFF SALE WEEKEND happened.

priceeditsale.png

"HOLY @(*()$ S#&$" - Everybody looking for a good deal.

You have now got everybody who can only afford the small packages SCURRYING to grab these frames while they're discounted. People who would have never bought these frames normally whether it be due to other financial reasons taking precedence or just refusing altogether to drop that kind of money on a F2P game. Look at Steam, look how much profit Valve earns during Steam sales. They earn MILLIONS, their profits skyrocket. People LOVE sales, so take advantage of them.

Well, there's my long &#! post about the market. DE, I'm begging you. Make the market prices actually sane. Everybody will benefit from it. You'll earn more money, and the playerbase will be happier and not feel like they walked into a con house.

-UPDATED-

After a talk with Cifrer (thanks brah) on Page 5, we quickly came up with a way to balance out the pricing of the weapons in a way that makes them cheap while also taking into account Orokin Catalysts and weapon slots are included. The solution? Make them optional extras.

(Excuse the awful obvious Paint edits, I ain't no graphic artist)

pricechoice.png

The person can choose to buy just the weapon, or pay a little extra for an installed Catalyst at a discounted price. And if they want to, even pay a little extra for a weapon slot. This way everybody wins.

Listen to this guy damnit.

I'm sure everybody by now has noticed how absurdly priced everything is in the Warframe market.

DE, why is everything so expensive? I know you're new to the whole F2P scene, but making everything cost an arm and a leg is not how you make a profit. Who are you appealing to with garbage like this?

pricejoke.png

125 Platinum (nearly $10) for a Dual Skana? And it's apparently on sale? How does this count as a sale? Last I checked, sales were meant to be enticing to at least somebody.

800 Platinum (the price of the average AAA game you can find on Steam) for two poxy reskins and a scythe?

Who is going to buy these besides people who have zero sense of what money is worth?

When you put things up in the store, you want to appeal to the average Joe. The guy who has $5 left in his account after paying the bills. The kid who got $5 for delivering newspapers and wants to spend it on his favorite game. You appeal to these people because they are your most common customer, the broadest audience that plays your game. You DON'T want to purely appeal to people who apparently S#&$ money and own a Bentley, because that's what it seems you're doing.

priceplat.png

These are your cheapest Platinum packs, these are the most commonly bought packages. Appeal to the people who will only put money down on THESE packages. Take advantage of the rich folk second.

Now I know what some of you will be thinking. "DE can price these things however they want, it's their game and they need to eat!" Fair enough, but pricing items so that NOBODY but rich kids will buy them is not how you make a profit. What's more likely to earn the highest amount of dough; a cheap product that sells continuously or a really expensive product that barely sells at all?

I personally spent some time altering some market prices as an example and discussed with others what we agreed they should be. This is in by no means a "DO THIS NOW," it's merely a suggestion we feel would help DE earn more profit and make the overall playerbase much happier. That in the end is what matters.

priceedit1.png

As you can see for weapons, we agreed upon a $5 limit. After all these weapons can be farmed up with relative ease. So what good is it to make half the weapons cost $15 when somebody will immediately jump back and just say "I can farm these weapons up in like an hour of farming, I'm not paying that much."

You want to make the ability to purchase these weapons seem like a service instead of a complete con. If the weapons were priced as they were above, a person would actually think about purchasing some of these weapons. "It would take ages to get those Akboltos if I did it normally. $5 isn't that much after all so I guess it's okay to buy them, and it comes with an Orokin Catalyst and a weapon slot as well."

The person wouldn't feel ripped off, unlike the current system, because for all intents and purposes he didn't get ripped off, he got a pretty damn good deal. That's what you want, you want everybody to consider buying weapons from the store first, before they even think of grinding the weapon up in game.

Here's another one we did for the actual frames.

priceedit2.png

I know I know, we bumped up the price of Loki, Volt and Excalibur. But overall every frame is now in line of $10-$15. That's what we felt would be the best price zone for them and what the average consumer would appreciate more. Instead of crap like Rhino and Ash costing 325 Platinum which is just insane. Did people even buy those? If you did, you got ripped hard.

Another thing DE needs to start doing is having sales that matter. Sales are ALWAYS when companies and other businesses earn the biggest profit, people love a good sale and will usually save up some money waiting for one to drop. Look at the above frame prices, they're okay, they'd be purchased a few times, certainly A LOT more than they are now, which is more money in the bank for DE. But what if... ALL FEMALE FRAMES 50% OFF SALE WEEKEND happened.

priceeditsale.png

"HOLY @(*()$ S#&$" - Everybody looking for a good deal.

You have now got everybody who can only afford the small packages SCURRYING to grab these frames while they're discounted. People who would have never bought these frames normally whether it be due to other financial reasons taking precedence or just refusing altogether to drop that kind of money on a F2P game. Look at Steam, look how much profit Valve earns during Steam sales. They earn MILLIONS, their profits skyrocket. People LOVE sales, so take advantage of them.

Well, there's my long &#! post about the market. DE, I'm begging you. Make the market prices actually sane. Everybody will benefit from it. You'll earn more money, and the playerbase will be happier and not feel like they walked into a con house.

-UPDATED-

After a talk with Cifrer (thanks brah) on Page 5, we quickly came up with a way to balance out the pricing of the weapons in a way that makes them cheap while also taking into account Orokin Catalysts and weapon slots are included. The solution? Make them optional extras.

(Excuse the awful obvious Paint edits, I ain't no graphic artist)

pricechoice.png

The person can choose to buy just the weapon, or pay a little extra for an installed Catalyst at a discounted price. And if they want to, even pay a little extra for a weapon slot. This way everybody wins.

I agree whole heartedly, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  I actually suggested this and gave a full list of reasons why they should implement it.  The devs said they would address the topic when they did one of the founder meetings, and they never did.  They elected to keep ripping people off, mainly because the type of crowd that plays buy-in betas tend to have enough money to enable them to pay these stupid prices for items.  Here is the original post if you are interested, maybe we should necro it.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/12722-platinum-sales-review-from-a-business-owner/#entry105470

The biggest problem I do see with this is everyone who already bought things would need to be compensated... Or would be very upset. But I 100% agree with your post.

Why would they need to be compensated?

They bought it when it could've been easily built it with a BP

They didnt look at the quality so they paid the price for it

Oh, come on, even my economics students know more about pricing than these fools at DE. Please, you don't even need to look at all the social reasonings these nice community has attached, just look at concepts of economics like price-elasticity of demand and you (i.e. DE) should realize what fools you all have been.

Sorry, I actually attempted typing out a longer post with nice economic elaborations but since something happened and the long nice post I typed was not saved, I am now too lazy to be nice again to idiots, so go read up economics and I wish you success; if DE don't change their thinking soon, the game will go down the same fate as some of the more popular MMORPGs (i.e. lotsa people leaves).

I bought thr Hunter pack which netted me about 1000 plat. Currently bought several frame slots, weapons slots, color packs and some potatoes. Not going to buy any weps/frames since the prices just don't appeal to me.

Probably end up buying slot for all frames and weps, and some potatoes. We'll see. Until that time I probably won't buy more plat since I don't see anything worth my currency.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I agree with this.

I was kinda going to buy Nyx until I realized how much I should have to pay.... and I laughed when I saw the price of the "Nyx package".

Now I guess the only thing I'd ever buy is a sentinel, which I won't since I'm building one right now.

Devs we love you and want you to shut up and take our money! But if you make us spend it in big chunks we'll have to think about how much money we're throwing at you, and so we won't give you as much! Please shut up and take our money! D:

I think DE needs to acknowledge this.

You are completely right.

I barely scraped together enough for a Hunter Pack, and after wasting it the first time around, I reset and spent it only on a catalyst and sentinel (obviously not worth it, but I really wanted the dethcube).

Overall, the prices right now are ridiculous, and I think this is a good change.

I think DE needs to acknowledge this.

You are completely right.

I barely scraped together enough for a Hunter Pack, and after wasting it the first time around, I reset and spent it only on a catalyst and sentinel (obviously not worth it, but I really wanted the dethcube).

Overall, the prices right now are ridiculous, and I think this is a good change.

The problem is right there. People should not feel like they WASTED their money, DE. Microtransactions would make people feel less guilty and more likely overall to purchase in-game items.

Do you know how often I wanted to buy Vauban? Or Frost when his parts just wouldnt drop? I would look at that market every day, looking at those 20$+ price tags, sighing, knowing I'd rather grind my damned &#! off with friends than pay that much.

Not to mention that farming for frames and weapons are the entire game atm. Paying for frames and weapons are basically using cheats to get to the end of the game. It gets boring, and it makes me want to leave