Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Warframe Market Is A Joke And Actively Discourages Impulse Purchases (Updated, Includes Solution To Installed Catalysts/weapon Slot On Weapons)

I completely agree with the OP. Thank you for putting much of the community's thoughts into words!

The 'safe' figure is that the top 10~15% of your buyers will account for more then 50% of your revenue on free to play models.

That is what cosmetic items are for - getting revenue from these buyers without alienating the rest of the playerbase, and still getting increased profit from the rest.

Agree with pricing, and pretty much errything, there's something I'd like to add though.

Cosmetics : They sell like hot cakes in any and all games, PvE, PvP, non-RPGs, any game that has fairly priced cosmetics is bound to sell them in big quantities.

Right now we hardly have a few skins, only part that feels "complete" cosmetics wise would be the sentinels (and even then they could use more, but not priority atm), we do have a somewhat generous selection of colours but people have suggested many many more.

I believe if DE stopped trying to focus on things like payonium and selling "convenience" and started selling buttloads of cosmetics not only they may make more money, but the community would be healthier.

Because little bits of convenience start adding up to big convenience and making f2p players (a.k.a. potential customers) feel allienated, whereas cosmetics hardly do so.

Edit : What I would suggest as cosmetics (pricing not included, but should be all in the $5-10 range at most)

-Alternate weapon skins

-Alternate warframe skins

-Alternate sentinel skins

-Warframe accesories

-More sentinel accesories

-Weapon accesories

-Alternate skill effects (ember fireball shooting a fire dragon or whatever, you get the idea)

-Hats?

-More colours; I'm aware normal colour palette is somewhat limited and has probably been covered as a whole, so stick out premium/special colours (metallic, patterned, etc.)

-I ran out of ideas so if someone knows suggest more stuff.

Edit 2 : 

Addendum to cosmetics : Seasonal cosmetics sell in such quantities it's amazing, Easter, Halloween, Christmas, etc.

Random ideas : 

-Christmas alternative gram skin : A huge candy cane with neon sticks on the sides.

-Easter alternative scindo skin : A lolipop/chocolate lolipop.

-Halloween warframe accesory - Head : A wizard hat on top of your warframe's head.

P.S.: Remember cosmetics need to be statless, unless you wish for further alienation.

Edited by SetAbominae

I personally have plenty of disposable income, but I am also frugal. I can buy plenty of stuff in the marketplace no problem, but the thought of purchasing something I think is overpriced (as a number of items in the DE market are)irritates me physically :P

This

Because little bits of convenience start adding up to big convenience and making f2p players (a.k.a. potential customers) feel allienated, whereas cosmetics hardly do so.

And this

Agree with pricing, and pretty much errything, there's something I'd like to add though.

Cosmetics : They sell like hot cakes in any and all games, PvE, PvP, non-RPGs, any game that has fairly priced cosmetics is bound to sell them in big quantities.

Right now we hardly have a few skins, only part that feels "complete" cosmetics wise would be the sentinels (and even then they could use more, but not priority atm), we do have a somewhat generous selection of colours but people have suggested many many more.

I believe if DE stopped trying to focus on things like payonium and selling "convenience" and started selling buttloads of cosmetics not only they may make more money, but the community would be healthier.

Very much agreed on the cosmetics.

I mean how many people hate Trinity's washing board strapped to her &#!? DE, you could make a cosmetic to change it, charge $15 and make a boat load. And nobody would be angry because it's not a gameplay feature.

Very much agreed on the cosmetics.

I mean how many people hate Trinity's washing board strapped to her &#!? DE, you could make a cosmetic to change it, charge $15 and make a boat load. And nobody would be angry because it's not a gameplay feature.

loki's second helmet looks like an oversized tumour.

first off love your ideas and especially the part about including different prices on each weapon/warframe so that you can buy the slot and/or potato all in one click!  I have spent $20 on the game so far and want to spend more soon but I feel like the money wouldn't go far with the prices like they are in market.  If the prices were dropped to even be in the middle of where it is now and where you suggested I would most likely buy some plat now.

As far as cosmetics are concerned, I would want to avoid cosmetic changes that would alter the general 'look' or silhouette of each frame. I like them being instantly recognizable.

That can be done by somewhat limiting how cosmetics look based on each frame (alt skins), or adding them on top of already existing frame features (accesories), also by limiting which parts can be accesorized; we could merely stick to head/gloves/boots and leave the body unable to be altered much.

WHY are people arguing AGAINST cheaper prices!?

Chances are guaranteed that these people don't plan on spending a dime.

Which again, boggles my mind as to WHY they're AGAINST something that benefits all players.

Anywho, just chipping in that I once considered going Disciple founder pack, but instead opted for about 3 blue-potatoes (catalysts).

I then considered buying an Ash outright, along with Dual Heat Swords...

Then Glaive, Vauban, and Clanhouse grinding drama killed my interest.

I now spend more time on the forums than I do in the actual game, and that's not a good sign.

FWIW: I bought catalysts because I didn't think I was getting ripped off. I don't buy anything else (Stalker pack, I'm looking at you) since it feels like I'm being cheated.

Copying my post just because.

I don't disagree with OP but there are several factors to consider.

Let's start with the prices of catalysts, reactors and slots. I believe those prices are fine as they are, even someone who only ever has the 50 starting platinum can buy a warframe and 4 weapon slots, so that's a nice start.

As for the sales of weapons and warframes.

All weapons and warframes come with a reactor/catalyst + slot on purchase. So, for Warframes, whatever the price of the frame is, you should deduct 20 for the reactor and 20 for the warframe slot to have the real price. That this reactor is pre-inserted and thus loses some usability is true, so maybe discount 30 platinum of the total price of the frame.

For weapons, with the same mechanics, the cost of slot+catalyst of every weapon is approximately 20 platinum + weapon price. That would make the Viper in game, for example cost actually 49 platinum (20 catalyst+6slot).

That is less than $5, though you have to spend $5 because of the catalyst and slot. Okay. Still not outrageous.
I also don't think the weapons should be available for purchase without a catalyst and slot. Just personal opinion there.

Other items suffer from irregular pricing, and I agree the game needs sales and stuff and certain prices should be revised.
However, there are other points to consider.

Maybe DE doesn't quite have a business perspective in regards to weapons and frames and actually has them unecessarily expensive to encourage the in-game acquiring of said items. Personally, if I had every weapon and warframe in game, fully leveled and with reactors/catalysts, I might've already quit the game a while ago. The leveling, crafting and such are a nice goal. Everybody likes leveling up.

I'm fairly sure they profit far more from the color bundle sales, catalysts, reactors and slots than anything else, they're probably financially secure in that aspect.

In conclusion. I support your idea, OP, but you have gone a bit overboard in your price cuts, in my opinion.
If all items were much cheaper, someone with reasonable amount of cash could buy everything and the game would be dangerously close to P2W.

Most things could use a cut in prices, your warframe prices seem reasonable, weapons... I'd say 50% more on all prices, a happy average between the current prices and your suggestions.
Or perhaps your current prices + the price of the slot + orokin artifact combo.

EDIT: Too cheap prices COULD hurt the game. For example, people who purchased stuff with the higher prices could be outraged and quit, never to buy platinum again. Refunding them would probably hurt DE bad, they ARE a small company.

I'm not against cheaper prices, but I Warframe is their baby, I want it to be good for DE and us players. The big question is, if the prices were more accessible, would the greater number of sales match up to the lesser value of sales?

Literal example: If one guy now buys the stalker pack, he funds DE for more than 20 people buying a catalyst.

EDIT: Too cheap prices COULD hurt the game. For example, people who purchased stuff with the higher prices could be outraged and quit, never to buy platinum again. Refunding them would probably hurt DE bad, they ARE a small company.

The normal situation when changing store prices is to roll back everything, but refund people a percentage of what they spent that isn't absurd so they can't just buy everything in the store if everything was made cheaper.

DE just needs to explain to people well beforehand. Explaining helps people prepare, and gives them the necessary heads up so they don't feel like it was just dropped on them out of nowhere. That's what they should have done when it came to removing the Snipetron.

Edited by Guest

DE just needs to explain to people well beforehand. Explaining helps people prepare, and gives them the necessary heads up so they don't feel like it was just dropped on them out of nowhere. That would have been what they should have done when it came to removing the Snipetron.

That's good in theory, but it's the reason most political and business systems don't work as well as they should. Bureaucracy. If DE has to report every minute change to players, content will take ages to be launched, since, the staff usually doesn't talk directly to the players, so first, the developers need to agree, which I imagine takes a little time, they have to report their suggested change then to Rebecca who's the spokesperson, she then posts it to the forums and then she has to give it a MINIMUM of 48 hours to get balanced feedback from a good demographic of players.

Removing the Snipetron's one of those not so important changes, most people criticized the Snipetron in the forums, so, I'd say maybe half of the population didn't want to even try it. It's easier to reintroduce it in the next patch if the outrage is too big rather than delay the patch for X amount of time to make sure everyone agrees.

Of course, if a change as big as redoing all the prices were deployed, it would need and certainly would have the gamers' feedback, but you understand my point.

Edited by Gregio

That's good in theory, but it's the reason most political and business systems don't work as well as they should. Bureaucracy. If DE has to report every minute change to players, content will take ages to be launched, since, the staff usually doesn't talk directly to the players, so first, the developers need to agree, which I imagine takes a little time, they have to report their suggested change then to Rebecca who's the spokesperson, she then posts it to the forums and then she has to give it a MINIMUM of 48 hours to get balanced feedback from a good demographic of players.

Removing the Snipetron's one of those not so important changes, most people criticized the Snipetron in the forums, so, I'd say maybe half of the population didn't want to even try it. It's easier to reintroduce it in the next patch if the outrage is too big rather than delay the patch for X amount of time to make sure everyone agrees.

To be honest though, that's two days they could spend improving their still-in-development content and making sure it actually works. I think at this point we've come to expect every update DE releases will break the game horrendously and then it'll take another couple of days to be fixed because they don't work over the weekend.

This is probably the best post on these forums.  The estimated prices are fair.  The reason behind the prices is well thought out and educated.  I agree completely and I hope DE takes this under consideration.

People are more likely to buy a bunch of little things at $1-$2 repeatedly rather than buying stuff for $10-$40 every once in a while, IF EVER.

To be honest though, that's two days they could spend improving their still-in-development content and making sure it actually works. I think at this point we've come to expect every update DE releases will break the game horrendously and then it'll take another couple of days to be fixed because they don't work over the weekend.

Aren't most games, though?

I remember every time Maple Story updated, when I still played that, the two days after the patch would be full of exploits and bugs.

Same for Dragon Nest SEA, usually harmless bugs though.

Also, two days IF their change is accepted, if not, then:

a) the users provided and agreed on a decent alternative to the change they were proposing

b) people just rejected it without giving reasons, so they need to get back to planning with whatever feedback they got

c) there are several opinions and people can't seem to agree, so, no one is going to be satisfied no matter what they do

And in B and C, they also just spent a couple more days trying to please people.

Aren't most games, though?

I remember every time Maple Story updated, when I still played that, the two days after the patch would be full of exploits and bugs.

Same for Dragon Nest SEA, usually harmless bugs though.

Also, two days IF their change is accepted, if not, then:

a) the users provided and agreed on a decent alternative to the change they were proposing

b) people just rejected it without giving reasons, so they need to get back to planning with whatever feedback they got

c) there are several opinions and people can't seem to agree, so, no one is going to be satisfied no matter what they do

And in B and C, they also just spent a couple more days trying to please people.

True, it takes time and in many ways it could be seen as wasted time since it's delaying the update. However I feel DE needs to take into consideration what the community thinks first before they make balance changes and whatnot.

I'm not sure if you saw the whole Kunai S#&$storm in a certain forum. That was a good example of poor communication.

WOOOOOOOOOOOAH Hold Up.

If they followed this, imagine the S#&$storm that would brew to all those people.

"I spent X Platinum on Stalker Moneymaker Pack, it's cheaper now, that's not fair, I should get the difference refunded"

DE would have to handle that quite delicately, I love your maths and that's definitely more viable and I feel it fair. 

But yeah, there's more than a market change, that's going to be a huge Customer Service issue right there. 

I personally don't give 2 franks if I'm getting cheaper gear than I previously paid for. I feel the game is worth what I've paid. 

But to some people it's the world because they see it as their status above others who can't afford the luxury items to be instantly added. 

The best part is that the f2p games survive thanks to 1 or 2 % of buyer. Who spend a lot of money per month, if they are still playing. The ''whales''. Spending more than 100€ per months, and even more.

I think the safest bet from the OP's ideas here would be to actively introduce sales. The dual skana sale since closed beta is just kinda sad, having (random, maybe? Praise the RNG gods) items on sale could be incredibly beneficial, imagine if orokin items went on sale for a weekend for 50% off.

They could even get off with "permanently" reducing the prices of the most outrageously overpriced items by putting them on perma-sales like the dual-skanas.

Fixing the prices for all existing content might do more harm and cause too much of a S#&$storm in the near future than sticking with them and adding a sales system and different more balanced prices on future items would on the long run.

Edited by Gregio

When you're selling data (which aside from development takes nothing to produce) its far better to sell large quantities of cheap stuff than to sell small quantity of expensive stuff.

Say, if weapons costed 25 plat, and 10 times more people bought it than when weapons cost 100 plat, there is so much more money to be made.

Amen to this. all the prices seem to be what THEY SHOULD be not a rediculous amount!. That being said i hope DE sees this thread and replys....

its well known that if you can move alot of quantity, you make more money than moving less but charging more...

its a perfect example of how the wii outdid the 360a nd the ps3 when they came out, i mean ~600$ or so for a console vs like 300?.... so yeah...