Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corrupted Mod Rework

omeggga

I recently had an idea of how corrupted mods could work a lot better than they do.

Essentially, my idea would involve making corrupted mods have more stat upgrade than the average mod, while still maintaining the same downgrade. HOWEVER, this would come at the expense of not being able to equip the standard version of the mod.

For instance: Critical Delay would have it's normal crit boost + the crit boost from Point Strike; however, equipping it would forbid you from equipping Point Strike to begin with, and it would have the same fire rate penalty.

I understand that some mods would need a bit of reworking (I mean, that would make mods like Vile Acceleration and Vile Precision ridiculously unbalaced), but I think it does, indeed hold some promise for mods such as Hollow Point and Magnum Force.

Edited by omeggga

This would make it more difficult to get immensely overpowered because of the limitation of either using the corrupt version, or the normal version without any downsides, while if they also give more than normal mods they keep their luster for certain builds.

Huh, something I can actually agree with. Upvote from me.

This would make it more difficult to get immensely overpowered because of the limitation of either using the corrupt version, or the normal version without any downsides, while if they also give more than normal mods they keep their luster for certain builds. Huh, something I can actually agree with. Upvote from me.

+1 for the idea, corrupted mod should be way superior than their normal counterpart, but not stackable with these one.

I like it because it frees up slots for other mods. Upvote from me.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! ^w^

Maybe it'll make it into the game! :o

• 2 weeks later...

but it takes away from the abiility to customize/specialize.

You mean "remove 2 (or 3) abilities to focus on 2 (or 1)" ?

That's something i find pretty bad for a customization game that you have to totally forget about using some abilities just to be able to turn some other viable on high level.

I've seen no rules against bumping, lol. Also nah I disagree with this. It does free up modslots yes, but it takes away from the abiility to customize/specialize.

You'd still be able to specialize your weapon in a certain field. You'd just be spending far less mod slots to do so...

• 1 month later...

I would really suggest not bumping threads if you don't have anything else to add to them.

I both agree and disagree with this system. It would even further limit build variation in some capacities by outmoding existing mods, but it would also expand room for different mods, increasing build variance.

I think it would kind of have an effect of no major change on weapons, however it would be HORRIBLE for the majority of Warframe builds. How does it affect multiple mods of the same effect?

Does Narrow Minded override constitution? I don't think the end effect will be positive for frames.

Edited by Rehtael7

I've seen no rules against bumping, lol.

There are rules against bumping but they're rarely actually enforced. I think they're in the pinned topic at the top of the fan concepts forum.

Anyway, I think this would be too much of a buff. Unless the drain was also combined. It would mostly just free up space for more damage mods to make weapons even more overpowered.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it would kind of have an effect of no major change on weapons, however it would be HORRIBLE for the majority of Warframe builds. How does it affect multiple mods of the same effect?

Does Narrow Minded override constitution? I don't think the end effect will be positive for frames.

Truth be told, I only pictured this rework for weapons, pistols and the like. I think warframe corrupted mods are in a lovely enough place already... for the most part.

Anyway, I think this would be too much of a buff. Unless the drain was also combined. It would mostly just free up space for more damage mods to make weapons even more overpowered.

Not really, when you take it into some serious consideration, would you rather fit in one more elemental? or one mod that can make the weapon you hold a thousand times more flexible?

What I mean to say is: let's say a boltor prime would benefit from... say, a heavy caliber, that gives a weapon 250% more damage, but 55% accuracy loss (just spitballing here), with the mod slot freed from serration, would you fit in another elemental mod? or perhaps counter the long reload time with a primed fast hands?

Another example: Let's say you got a shiny, new, potatoed soma prime. Would you fit in Heavy cal on there knowing fully well that headshots won't be as viable to try and pull off? or perhaps a critical delay (just a guess: 198% crit chance, -36% fire rate) to replace point strike, making sure every last shot counts? You'd know you can equip both, but you likely wouldn't, as it would compromise headshot potential (something the soma's built for). And you have the last slot available to make one last adjusment of your own taste.

Edited by omeggga

Not really, when you take it into some serious consideration, would you rather fit in one more elemental? or one mod that can make the weapon you hold a thousand times more flexible?

What I mean to say is: let's say a boltor prime would benefit from... say, a heavy caliber, that gives a weapon 250% more damage, but 55% accuracy loss (just spitballing here), with the mod slot freed from serration, would you fit in another elemental mod? or perhaps counter the long reload time with a primed fast hands?

Another example: Let's say you got a shiny, new, potatoed soma prime. Would you fit in Heavy cal on there knowing fully well that headshots won't be as viable to try and pull off? or perhaps a critical delay (just a guess: 198% crit chance, -36% fire rate) to replace point strike, making sure every last shot counts? You'd know you can equip both, but you likely wouldn't, as it would compromise headshot potential (something the soma's built for). And you have the last slot available to make one last adjusment of your own taste.

The answer will always be whatever gets the highest dps. Combining serration with heavy cal and critical delay with point strike opens up the possibility for an absurdly high dps crit and status build and one elemental combo for the exact same price as a truly terrible dps build combining those three. That is literally the definition of a buff. I really can't see anything like this ever working unless there were combined drains or something else to balance out the insane damage this would allow.

The answer will always be whatever gets the highest dps. Combining serration with heavy cal and critical delay with point strike opens up the possibility for an absurdly high dps crit and status build and one elemental combo for the exact same price as a truly terrible dps build combining those three. That is literally the definition of a buff. I really can't see anything like this ever working unless there were combined drains or something else to balance out the insane damage this would allow.

• 3 weeks later...

The answer will always be whatever gets the highest dps.

Well that just straight up isn't true. The answer is always what suits you, saying the answer is what gives most benefit is like always buying the most expensive weapon you can afford in CS GO. Kills are easier, but the weapon still has drawbacks.

Combining serration with heavy cal and critical delay with point strike opens up the possibility for an absurdly high dps crit and status build and one elemental combo for the exact same price as a truly terrible dps build combining those three. That is literally the definition of a buff. I really can't see anything like this ever working unless there were combined drains or something else to balance out the insane damage this would allow.

Uhm... it's not necessarily a combination, in the instance of heavy caliber, I'd rework the mod to deal around, say, 250% damage at the same accuracy loss. As for the insane damage it would allow...

Well, let's say that, with the fancy new mod slot, you could fit in, say, malignant force. Congrats! you can now oneshot enemies from level 0 to level 32 instead of 0 to 28... so yeah. Would you rather have such an insignificant advantage? or would you rather put a nice ammo mutation on there? because let's be honest here. You ain't gonna do any damage without ammo. Or you can use the mod slot/slots to customize the weapon to YOUR liking. Add in a primed fast hands, or a Primed slip magazine. Fix that one little thing that always nagged you about said weapon.

Edited by omeggga

I can actually agree with this idea of a rework. Corrupted mods are of much higher importance than normal mods. Similar to the way that Primed mods work, we should be able to equip much more powerful corrupted mods, but at the expense of not using their normal counterparts. It would give players the ability to thoroughly think their builds through before slapping on random mods. Upvote from me 

Hm. An interesting idea indeed. And I can see how this would, as others above have said before me, an agreeable rework on the corrupted mods. But that also raises questions already asked.

Would the drain be changed as well to compliment this rework, for example.

And while its a great idea, we cant just up and rework corrupted mods just for weapons. Warframes will need to be included, as is, the warframes are technically weapons as well, with damaging abilities and such. So they would be reworked alongside this.That being said, if applied, it would, as argued, benefit the game. However, as also argued, this would limit the adaptability and creativity that is the modding of weapons and warframes, putting corrupted mods and regular mods together, and if also applied, it would block out primed mods, which already block out their default mod counterparts.

Hm. An interesting idea indeed. And I can see how this would, as others above have said before me, an agreeable rework on the corrupted mods. But that also raises questions already asked.

Would the drain be changed as well to compliment this rework, for example.

And while its a great idea, we cant just up and rework corrupted mods just for weapons. Warframes will need to be included, as is, the warframes are technically weapons as well, with damaging abilities and such. So they would be reworked alongside this.That being said, if applied, it would, as argued, benefit the game. However, as also argued, this would limit the adaptability and creativity that is the modding of weapons and warframes, putting corrupted mods and regular mods together, and if also applied, it would block out primed mods, which already block out their default mod counterparts.

As for the mods concerning weapons alone, the drain would be lightly tweaked to not tweaked at all. Say for instance, that one should equip one of these mods on a weapon. The fact that it carries a disadvantage over the conventional mod should relatively outweigh the stat advantage, and if not, the variable polarity that it carries should make sure you can only forma it once (should you need to) to fit in the corrupted mod. It's going to be one or the other either way.

As for the primed mods, that is something I can very much agree with. Making the corrupted mods incompatible with primed mods as well guarantees that you have the choice of the standard, the stat boost with an overpriced polarity sweep, and the stat boost with a downside.

In the matter of warframes, however. After talking it out with a friend, we figured out that caster warframes wouldn't be hindered by this rework.

They would be utterly crucified.

So, in turn, we had the thought of making corrupted mods compatible with their non-corrupted variants in warframes, same goes with primed mods. The overall reason for this being that specialized warframe builds would be, for the most part, a thing of the past. To encourage their effectiveness, we had the idea of increasing the drain, while also increasing the positive attributes of said mods, ensuring that you at least forma your warframe once before getting to the more specialized builds.

I think feel like they shouldn't be incompatible with Primed Mods, however Primed Mods would have a lessened effect if used in conjunction with Corrupted Mods.w

I... gotta  say I don't 100% agree with this. My friend seems utterly convinced that it's a good idea though.