Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion For A New Mission Type - Escape!

Ezard

Basically, the idea for this mission would be that your spacecraft has crash landed, and it just so happens that it's in the middle of an infested part of a spaceship/planet. Now, there are far too many enemies for you to kill (and I'm talking thousands and thousands here - far too many even for the likes of Vortex and Sound Quake), even with 4 squad members, and as such you must flee from your enemies. There could be lots of free-running/trap-avoidance built into your fleeing (kinda like the time-trials in the Void), and you could do certain things to slow down your pursuers (burst pipes, cause the floor to tremor etc). This would allow speed-runners to, well, speed-run, and it would also add a more tense mission to the game (because let's face it, when you have 4 people in your squad with maxxed out everything, even the toughest boss battles aren't particularly tense). The lights could be dimmed/flickering to add to the atmosphere (and there could also maybe be an occasional power cut too), and some dramatic music would make this mission awesome.

And comments/suggestions, please feel free to post below

Suggestions:

MXXVI:

Perhaps, to balance things a bit (and to add even more urgency) at regular intervals there'd be some task that needed to be completed by one teammate, who would need to be covered. Like hacking a terminal, or rewiring a door etc.

Tekkou:

Maybe it could be the Stalker (or multiple Stalkers maybe...?) that's chasing us, instead of infested. And make him unkillable too

Removed stuff

As a possible addition, 2 of the squad members could be designated as the "rescue pilots" (using DE's infamous RNG of course), and would have to fly a spacecraft each to the extraction point, before their team members were mobbed by the infested (and they'd have to dodge asteroids, blow up some Grineer fighter spacecraft and whatnot on the way of course). This would (I think, anyway) help to get people more into the teamwork-based gameplay that Warframe is supposed to be all about

Edited by Ezard

The first part is ok. It's not a bad idea, but certain things could prove to be an issue. In this kind of a mission you wouldn't get a lot of mods if your goal is to run away, nor would you have the time to gather resources by opening lockers. Second, if your ship has crashed, that can't, factually, be called a mission. You can't choose to crash your ship. Do you understand what I mean? It could be a random event, but I think no one enjoys playing missions that he is forced to play.

The second part about navigating spaceships is just...I mean, what?!! Do you know how much programming that would take? That's a completely different genre. And for the DE to program such a huge aspect its role would have to be quite significant and not limited to one type of mission

The second part about navigating spaceships is just...I mean, what?!! Do you know how much programming that would take? That's a completely different genre. And for the DE to program such a huge aspect its role would have to be quite significant and not limited to one type of mission

Only took me a few weeks on my own to make this basic idea a while back, and that was just me on my own

The first part is ok. It's not a bad idea, but certain things could prove to be an issue. In this kind of a mission you wouldn't get a lot of mods if your goal is to run away, nor would you have the time to gather resources by opening lockers. Second, if your ship has crashed, that can't, factually, be called a mission. You can't choose to crash your ship. Do you understand what I mean? It could be a random event, but I think no one enjoys playing missions that he is forced to play.

Yeah it could happen randomly (only on higher level missions though). Also, you could get a ton of resources/mods as a reward at the end

The addition of a space-based mini-game is way too ambitious. I mean let's be realistic here; DE added some new weapons and a new tileset in the last patch, and suddenly we were seeing Black Doors of Doom everywhere and everyone's foundry was going crazy. This would require so much development time, and so much bug-fixing, it would screw up the development process for pretty much everything else until it was complete.

And then you have the basic balancing issues. Like, how do you decide who has to be on the ground, and who does the mini-game? What if someone joined several "escape" games and was stuck doing the mini-game each time? How would you reward the pilots? And how would it fit into the lore? The only Tenno ships we've seen are the stealth transport thingies, which don't appear to be armed.

That being said, the idea of essentially "unwinnable" missions like this is solid. A bit of urgency is a good thing. If you've played Fear 3 multiplayer, you might have experienced the insane wall of death mode (I forget what it was called) where, literally, a wall of death is chasing the team and consuming the level constantly, and if anyone gets eaten by it, game over.

I think DE could copy'n'paste this, and replace the supernatural wall of death with hull breaches. Basically, bulkhead by bulkhead, deck by deck, the level would suffer hull breaches...and anybody caught in a breached area would get sucked out into space.

One big problem with this whole idea in general though: the issue of speed, in relation to teamwork. Like in Fear 3, you would need to punish the team as a whole if someone died: if you allowed people to abandon their teammates with no penalty, there'd be zero reason to work as a team, and you may as well just turn it into a "race" mode.

Perhaps, to balance things a bit (and to add even more urgency) at regular intervals there'd be some task that needed to be completed by one teammate, who would need to be covered. Like hacking a terminal, or rewiring a door etc.

Added this to the original post, thanks for the suggestion :)

sounds interesting, but only IF it's a random (relatively low) chance whenever you start a mission. higher level areas, i agree - being trapped in a level 5 ship, whatevz. 

lol'd @ Rhino needing to escape. 

this sort've mission would be a good laugh once in a while, so i'm all for it. 

sounds interesting, but only IF it's a random (relatively low) chance whenever you start a mission. higher level areas, i agree - being trapped in a level 5 ship, whatevz. 

lol'd @ Rhino needing to escape. 

this sort've mission would be a good laugh once in a while, so i'm all for it. 

Yeah it'd be random (although how "random" DE's RNG actually is is debatable...)

And also yeah, it obviously wouldn't be on Mercury or Venus or something, as they probably wouldn't have mastered a lot of the free-running techniques that would be required to actually finish the mission

Thousands of enemies..... Will this make the game very lag?

And some warframes may have advantages in this game mode.

Well the AI for the enemies would need to be far simpler, so that'd speed the game up

Also, not all of them have to be visible at any one point, so it's not going to take loads of rendering power