Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Question For Those In The Gaming Industry

Imaru

This applies to players and DE alike.

I want to get into the gaming industry, but beyond playing games I have almost no experience that would help me in it. I currently work at a deli but have been accepted to Becker College, which has a very well regarded game design/development program.

I am wondering what steps (other than attending college) I would want/need to take to get into the gaming industry. Any responces would be welcome.

I myself have taking multiple courses in level design through Lynda.com and this has had great impact on my understanding of game development. It's not just something you run out guns blazing and just "do".

You'll need to really, really want it. And most importantly, build up a great portfolio of things you've done in order to become succesful in this industry.

I reccomend starting up by learning some basic HTML/CSS, this gets you an understanding of what programming is. And is quite easy to deal with aswell. Once you've got the hang of that, try some PHP/SQL, and THEN take the big step and hit the C++/Lua books. 

Ultimately, you could be a grade-school drop-out and still become the next Markus Persson. All it takes is great passion, dedication, and most importantly, will. 

Best of luck from here! :)

-snip-

Oooo, nitpicking here but HTML/CSS is not a programming language :O

Sorry.

Anyway, OP, C++ and Java are core to learn. Sure you can do without them depending on domain but highly recommended that you learn these two.

As a intro to programming SQL can be good but Python is even simpler for that stepping stone should you need it. With the internet around you, the world is your oister.

Good luck!

I'm in 11th grade, I don't know much about programming, but I have friend who took AP Computer Science in 8th Grade (Scored a 4), and another friend who is in AP Computer Science now (12th).

They recommended Kham Academy and Udacity (I already started a free course at Udacity, thus far I know difference between Inline and Block, basic stuff, and a few commands.

I too want to get into the video game industry, so after I establish basic knowledge I should pursue C++ and Java?

My cousin who works at Valve suggests I also check out Maya, another language.

What do you guys think? How should I proceed? I feel like I may have missed opportunities because I'm starting at 11th.