Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Crimson Peak (My Thoughts On It)

TheErebus.

So I just got back home from watching Crimson Peak and it was an average film. For a film that Stephen King himself said "was effing terrifying", I fail to see what was so scary about it. 

In terms of visuals, the film is fantastic. Del toro is a skilled director and the actors performances were great, I especially love Jessica Chastain's acting in this film, whenever she's in the shot you just feel like she can snap any second. I absolutely loved the costumes and the scenery, I love gothic settings and this film is filled with it. 

If you're coming into this film thinking that it'll be a horror film, don't bother watching this. As the main character says in the film "It's a story with a ghost in it but not a ghost story". The film does have the ghosts in it, and they do have a pretty big relevance in the plot, the film is not a horror film, rather, it's a supernatural romance thriller (I think that's a good way to describe it). 

The ghosts are not scary, and this is coming from someone who is terrified of ghosts. Like after I watched Mama and the Woman in Black play, I couldn't sleep for several nights. But in this film, practically every ghost is a jumpscare with loud noises and really bad CGI especially with the first ghost that you see. There are some moments in the film when you see a spooky ghost that doesn't jumpscare you and they are pretty creepy, buuuut either the film focuses on the faces of the ghosts or it goes into a jumpscare, both of which result in a not very scary moment.

Also dog death. Yeah, there's that in the movie. It's actually downplayed really quickly in the film but it's there and you hear the dog whine as it died. BECAUSE DOG DEATHS ADD SO MUCH TO THE MOVIE. 

The film was both predictable and not predictable. It plays around with your expectations but at times you can tell what's gonna happen. 

Overall: It was a mediocre film. Not one of Del Toro's strong films but it's okay if you got nothing else to do. 

Did anyone else see it? Tell me what you thought of it.

Edited by TheErebus.