The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The view shouldn't be the Solar System but an Unknown Planetary System or even Andromeda

MetaMortred

I think it is better if this takes place far far away from earth as possible. The sol system also is not in sych, earth is the second planet and everything else is jumped up, nothing is moving on the line. Quite messy, but if you put andromeda galaxy it would be far cooler and realistic

Imagine this in the middle of the map: http://galaxyzooblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/milky_way_galaxy.jpg

or this: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/310/c/7/andromeda_nebula_clean_by_rah2005-d329qyj.jpg

if still not convinced then make it another system, make up names for planets, make it look like another system with more or less planets, give it lore - story background, give them a mystery. Let the people day dream of the location, that it exists as they are alive, not that it will never be in their life time. Make it so people can connect to it somehow.

What do you people think?

- I agree that it should be a completely different solar system than ours...

- I also notice that the planets aren't following the plotted orbits.

- I would also like to see a galactic map, with different solar systems and possibly even planetary missions instead of just space stations

- I don't think it needs to take place in Andromeda, as there are WAY more that enough solar systems in the Milky Way (probably 100 billion or so, since there are 200+ billion stars) It could even take place in a small sector of the Milky Way galaxy and still seem huge.

Edited by The-Event-Horizon

- I agree that it should be a completely different solar system than ours...

- I also notice that the planets aren't following the plotted orbits.

- I would also like to see a galactic map, with different solar systems and possibly even planetary missions instead of just space stations

- I don't think it needs to take place in Andromeda, as there are WAY more that enough solar systems in the Milky Way (probably 100 billion or so, since there are 200+ billion stars) It could even take place in a small sector of the Milky Way galaxy and still seem huge.

Well, one reason why I said Andromeda is because I didnt wanted Mass Effect fanboys to say WarFrame copied the idea, after all you have to see all aspects of the game. Internal and External factors affecting a single idea.

It just seems that the game is focusing on mostly type 1 civilizations, colonies and trade within one star system... If this is to be, they could at least make a few different possibly habitable planets/moons (re NOT OUR SOLAR SYSTEM). It would still seem quite improbable that each species would reach a similar technology level at around the same time.

I would suggest making at least the corpus and grineer level 2 civilizations, with some level 3 attributes (interstellar travel), so that even if the tenno are only a level 1 civilization, they could hijack corpus/grineer ships for interstellar travel. This would allow the tenno to bring the fight to the enemies solar systems, making the game world at least a few systems larger and more varried.

It just seems that the game is focusing on mostly type 1 civilizations, colonies and trade within one star system... If this is to be, they could at least make a few different possibly habitable planets/moons (re NOT OUR SOLAR SYSTEM). It would still seem quite improbable that each species would reach a similar technology level at around the same time.

I would suggest making at least the corpus and grineer level 2 civilizations, with some level 3 attributes (interstellar travel), so that even if the tenno are only a level 1 civilization, they could hijack corpus/grineer ships for interstellar travel. This would allow the tenno to bring the fight to the enemies solar systems, making the game world at least a few systems larger and more varried.

I like that idea :D

• 1 month later...

I think, as an advanced species able to colonize even a gas giant, we should have figured out a way to travel between star systems. Therefore, the Grineer should have discovered interstelar travel and its use should be widespread. So, a galactic map should be the main idea, not a solar system. They are still messing with things like these, I believe they'll opt for a bigger map, rather than a single, known system.

The use of moons should also be a good idea. The more places the better. Their map generator should be able to pull this off quite easily.

I said this somewhere else, but I guess I'll say it here too. I'm not sure why people think all scifi needs to make the assumption that faster than light travel will ever be possible. Our solar system is a really really big place. Much bigger than the single planet that people are usually satisfied with in fantasy settings. There's alot you can do to make a really deep future version of our solar system seem alien and new. Anyone ever read Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun? Firefly took place in a single system (albeit a large one) and I don't remember people complaining about it being dull. The pen and paper rpg Eclipse Phase is another great example of what you can do with our humble system.

Galaxy spanning scifi settings are dime a dozen. I would be interested to see how DE could flesh out a version of our home system that's set so far in the future that it might as well be a different star system.

I said this somewhere else, but I guess I'll say it here too. I'm not sure why people think all scifi needs to make the assumption that faster than light travel will ever be possible. Our solar system is a really really big place. Much bigger than the single planet that people are usually satisfied with in fantasy settings. There's alot you can do to make a really deep future version of our solar system seem alien and new. Anyone ever read Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun? Firefly took place in a single system (albeit a large one) and I don't remember people complaining about it being dull. The pen and paper rpg Eclipse Phase is another great example of what you can do with our humble system.

Galaxy spanning scifi settings are dime a dozen. I would be interested to see how DE could flesh out a version of our home system that's set so far in the future that it might as well be a different star system.

^ Top notch example of good reasoning.

Also, if you read between the lines with Warframe, you can kind of figure out that everything has gone to complete and total manure in the past. The Grineer "rediscovered" cloning technology. This means that at some point the human race lost cloning technology. There is an entire planet overrun by space nanomachine zombies. An entire civilization, the Orokin, are dead and gone, and you are some of the last functional Orokin relics, special forces commando ninjas in power armor. The Corpus are more like the Adeptus Mechanicus from WH40k or Word of Blake from Battletech than any normal corporation, given that they don't know what half of their stuff does very well.

I mean, who's to say that even if FTL is possible in the Warframe universe, we'd ever see any of it? The Tenno are special forces. Now, special forces get some pretty serious support but they generally are integrated with smaller-scale things than... FTL-capable space battleships. Helicopters and the like. The Grineer and Corpus are heavily post-post-apocalyptic (the initial "everything has gone wrong and the cities are burned ruins full of roving sodomy gangs in assless chaps" part is over and done with but the ruins and evidence of the mistakes made is still all there) and with the Infestation around you can make a good guess at what that apocalypse was.

Edited by MJ12