Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My First Try At An Youtube Excalibur Pve & Pvp Guide.

Sebastianx

Question

Hello guys and girls, I finally decided to man up and do a PVE & PVP guide for every frame (eventually). First, Excalibur.

Yes, I know that doing anything PVP related is a bit crazy with how volatile PVP is right now, but DE seems to have gotten the PVP base structure in place, and I feel that mostly just numbers will change from now on, so I went for it.

Here's the video. If I'm not asking for too much, could I please have some feedback from you guys? What did I add that was too much, or what more should I add in further videos? What else would you like to see added in further videos? Did I overdo something? Or did I underdo something? Does it need more humor? Less humor? Do I need to speak more clear? etc.

Keep in mind that I did not go in super deep in the base game mechanics, like how to mod and what modding does. I'm going on an asumption that whoever sees these videos knows some base game mechanics, and instead tried focusing on what the skills actually do, what they're good at, and in the case of PVE, some usefull warframe synergies.

Any feedback is appreciated, as long as you keep it clean instead of mindless hate, thanks.

EDIT: Also, if my accent is bad, it's because I'm not a native english speaker, so sorry about that, I'll improve it if I try hard enough eventually.

Edited by Sebastianx

15 answers to this question

I think you should focus more on pvp since there are tons and tons of reviews and guides already out there for PVE for all warframes. PVP is something most people in this game don't like AFAIK and a good guide might help them take a second look at it

I think you should focus more on pvp since there are tons and tons of reviews and guides already out there for PVE for all warframes. PVP is something most people in this game don't like AFAIK and a good guide might help them take a second look at it

Very good point, I thought about that, but didn't want to overdo it. Also, trying to focus on warframe synergies in PVE  since from what I'm seeing everyday is that people only use some meta frames that run around constantly, while disregarding some warframe combos that are outright ridiculous if used right, like Excalibur + Banshee + Limbo (throw in a Rhino Roar build in there too), that combo got me and 2 friends in a almost 2 hour T4 survival and possibly even more, but there was no point in risking it since my friend's net started lagging and we were afraid of a disconnect.

Edited by Sebastianx

Very good point, I thought about that, but didn't want to overdo it. Also, trying to focus on warframe synergies in PVE  since from what I'm seeing everyday is that people only use some meta frames that run around constantly, while disregarding some warframe combos that are outright ridiculous if used right, like Excalibur + Banshee + Limbo (throw in a Rhino Roar build in there too), that combo got me and 2 friends in a almost 2 hour T4 survival and possibly even more, but there was no point in risking it since my friend's net started lagging and we were afraid of a disconnect.

this would be a good idea as well. giving people new squad setups might refresh the gameplay a little bit and might make people give some of the frames they don't use a new chance.

good job mate, I like it, but i think the Damage build should have more duration and no fleeting expertise, now it`s affecting effeceincy on EB

also in PVP, u could`ve added slash dash+shotgun combo, I do all the time, stagger them to stand still and finish them off with the burst shot ;)

though I think it could use more jokes, but I always go for jokes, so don`t take that as a serious penalty coming from me

and an advice, don`t do frames that didn`t get reworked yet, u can do frost/kitty next :) saryn when the rework train picks her up from nuke station xD

good job mate, I like it, but i think the Damage build should have more duration and no fleeting expertise, now it`s affecting effeceincy on EB

also in PVP, u could`ve added slash dash+shotgun combo, I do all the time, stagger them to stand still and finish them off with the burst shot ;)

though I think it could use more jokes, but I always go for jokes, so don`t take that as a serious penalty coming from me

and an advice, don`t do frames that didn`t get reworked yet, u can do frost/kitty next :) saryn when the rework train picks her up from nuke station xD

Hehe, yeah, I thought about the damage build, but If anyone else is going to spam slash dash as much as I do, then Fleeting is pretty useful. I feel like Excalibur is very spammy unless you build for CC. Also, nice combo with the slash dash + shotgun in PvP, not sure how'd I miss that one.

And yes, I won't review frames that haven't been reworked yet, DE is doing a good job and they finally found a middle ground to how powerful the frames should be, doing a good job with Excalibur and Frost so far, and Saryn looks very interesting as well, Banshee's also in a very good place. Really thinking about doing Frost next, I love frosty as well.

Hehe, yeah, I thought about the damage build, but If anyone else is going to spam slash dash as much as I do, then Fleeting is pretty useful. I feel like Excalibur is very spammy unless you build for CC. Also, nice combo with the slash dash + shotgun in PvP, not sure how'd I miss that one.

And yes, I won't review frames that haven't been reworked yet, DE is doing a good job and they finally found a middle ground to how powerful the frames should be, doing a good job with Excalibur and Frost so far, and Saryn looks very interesting as well, Banshee's also in a very good place. Really thinking about doing Frost next, I love frosty as well.

he is spammy, but slash dash already costs little, with streamlinei t take like 16 energy I think, pretty much enough ;)

and now worries, u had so much in, u dropped one :P

same here, all stuff that get reworked are at the same level if u noticed, shotguns, kitty and cal are all stronger than others (with few exceptions) but u get the general idea, right?

and yep. looking forward to saryn`s rework, and u should do frosty next, he has been reworked for longer than kitty, so tweak possibility is less

he is spammy, but slash dash already costs little, with streamlinei t take like 16 energy I think, pretty much enough ;)

and now worries, u had so much in, u dropped one :P

same here, all stuff that get reworked are at the same level if u noticed, shotguns, kitty and cal are all stronger than others (with few exceptions) but u get the general idea, right?

and yep. looking forward to saryn`s rework, and u should do frosty next, he has been reworked for longer than kitty, so tweak possibility is less

DE had an interesting approach to Warframe over the last half a year, remove borderline broken warframes that are just 1 trick ponies, like Frost used to be used only for Snow globe, and Excal only for 4 spam to clear stuff in Draco and occasionaly used to spam blind instead, Trinity used for the permanent 100% damage reduction from blessing, (and now Saryn used only to spam 4) all of that got replaced by more skill-based abilities rather than mindlessly pressing buttons...and they shifted more to a all-rounded stronger kit, which makes me think that Valkyr might get a buff to her 1/2/3 skills and a nerf to her 4 because as of right now, being permanently invincible with the only drawback being that you're in melee range seems to be getting awfully close to how Iron Skin used to be in closed beta or Blessing used to be until last year, and look what happened to those skills...lol.

Edited by Sebastianx

DE had an interesting approach to Warframe over the last half a year, remove borderline broken warframes that are just 1 trick ponies, like Frost used to be used only for Snow globe, and Excal only for 4 spam to clear stuff in Draco and occasionaly used to spam blind instead, Trinity used for the permanent 100% damage reduction from blessing, (and now Saryn used only to spam 4) all of that got replaced by more skill-based abilities rather than mindlessly pressing buttons...and they shifted more to a all-rounded stronger kit, which makes me think that Valkyr might get a buff to her 1/2/3 skills and a nerf to her 4 because as of right now, being permanently invincible with the only drawback being that you're in melee range seems to be getting awfully close to how Iron Skin used to be in closed beta or Blessing used to be until last year, and look what happened to those skills...lol.

yea they sure did a great job there

though I think hysteria is balanced, it has the melee limitations, a crappy stance, low range and most of all, inferior to EB, same damage almost but no waves, in return defense is needed, also it`sn to 100% god mode, u can take all the dmg u stored (next to HP bars) if u deactivate near an enemy, pretty annoying with nullis, I once killed myself by that, thanks to me not knowing about it lol

also kitty is a solo frame most of anything, so I think god mode VS her lack of support is balancing her for solo, and under powering her in team

yea they sure did a great job there

though I think hysteria is balanced, it has the melee limitations, a crappy stance, low range and most of all, inferior to EB, same damage almost but no waves, in return defense is needed, also it`sn to 100% god mode, u can take all the dmg u stored (next to HP bars) if u deactivate near an enemy, pretty annoying with nullis, I once killed myself by that, thanks to me not knowing about it lol

also kitty is a solo frame most of anything, so I think god mode VS her lack of support is balancing her for solo, and under powering her in team

She'll probably get an opening with some sort of buff along with it when using her ult. Like, the more damage she stores, the angrier she gets, increasing her damage by a lot but also slowly losing her 100% damage resistance, slowly going down to 99%, 98%, 97% and so on, while receiving more and more damage increase as well, just to remove some of that 100% godmode. Would force some opening every now and then, where you'd lose your damage but regain your durability.

She'll probably get an opening with some sort of buff along with it when using her ult. Like, the more damage she stores, the angrier she gets, increasing her damage by a lot but also slowly losing her 100% damage resistance, slowly going down to 99%, 98%, 97% and so on, while receiving more and more damage increase as well, just to remove some of that 100% godmode. Would force some opening every now and then, where you'd lose your damage but regain your durability.

that`d be awesome, u should really put it in concepts section or feedback, though I~d rather have it an augment, to keep the current one for the people who like it

Good guide! One minor correction: Radial Javelin hits enemies that are aware of Excalibur or vice versa - Excal being aware of them. Also, a PvP tip: Don't use Exalted Blade on targets that are fleeing or are well past close range. The ability is quite easy to doge so make sure the enemy is approaching you and will have a hard time changing direction. From the perspective of a shotgun user, the most dangerous Excals are those who wait for me to close in for a shot and then activate Exalted Blade; Excals rarely kill me with EB otherwise.

Edited by stoybot

Good guide! One minor correction: Radial Javelin hits enemies that are aware of Excalibur or vice versa - Excal being aware of them. Also, a PvP tip: Don't use Exalted Blade on targets that are fleeing or are well past close range. The ability is quite easy to doge so make sure the enemy is approaching you and will have a hard time changing direction. From the perspective of a shotgun user, the most dangerous Excals are those who wait for me to close in for a shot and then activate Exalted Blade; Excals rarely kill me with EB otherwise.

10 times I kept telling to myself while editing to also add the "aware" thing about Javelin, 10 TIMES! And I still forgot it...oh well. Also yes, EB is hard to land at longer range but if the enemy has only one way to go and they start runing just out of pure fear when the Excal pulls out EB (me being guilty as well sometimes), most times it's easy to predict their path...perks of playing Tribes games for years I guess. Most often than not EB can be used as a psychological tool as well, since NO one sane enough would go head on with an Excal that just activated EB. Still good point, trying to snipe targets with EB isn't exactly the best of ideas.

that`d be awesome, u should really put it in concepts section or feedback, though I~d rather have it an augment, to keep the current one for the people who like it

After taking a bit of a closer look at Valkyr, I think you're right, as an augment it would be nice.

Really nice guide man! I admire the fact that you covered both PvE and PvP. Not a whole lot of people do that ya know.

Thanks a lot! I'm still nailing down what should and should not be in a guide, and I think I'll focus more on the advance-ish stuff for the PVE section, like specialty of a skill, combos, synergies and builds instead of so much introduction and the basics, because I realized how counter intuitive it is. For a player with some experience, he/she already knows the basics, so that is redundant, and for a new player, explaining advanced things that require corrupted mods, synergies with other frame skills that he/she probably doesn't even know much about is again pretty pointless. And anyway, there's a lot of people doing introductory videos to Warframes.