Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reading Suggestions?

nickelshark

Just finished Neal Stephenson's SevenEves, and what a brilliant novel would highly recommend to any Sci-Fi fan or any reader for that matter. Anyway, that being said I am now just reading a short light novel and looking for any recommendations for my next read.

I like most genres but I favor Historical Fiction and Sci-fi the most.

Man, I just could not get through the second part of SevenEves. It just did not have any exciting bits.

Stephenson wrote this book called The Diamond Age, you really ought to read that. He also helped co-write this thing called the Mongoliad with Greg Bear and a whole bunch of other writers, which involved ninja knights going to assassinate Oglai Khan.

Beyond that, I wanna recommend two Dan Simmons duologies: Hyperion and Illium. Hyperion's about a space pilgrimage to stop a killer robot out of time and has zen-koan AIs and a whole bunch of John Keats: Illium involves post-humans playing Greek Gods on Mars while sending dudes back in time to observe the Illiad.

Oh and lest I forget: The Expanse books. Leviathan Wakes, Caliban's War, Abbadon's Gate, etc. It's getting made into a Syfy series but that doesn't change the fact that it's just one of the greatest books I've ever read. Read them, now.

I'd highly recommend The Martian, which as you may know received its Hollywood adaptation.

I'd also super highly recommend works by Philip K. D ick (damn you forums for censoring a great author). He gives some really good twists to the conventional sci-fi genre. In particular I'd suggest Ubik and A Scanner Darkly, if you haven't read those already.

Edited by PsychedelicSnake