Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Everyone Should Get Resources When One Person Picks It Up

Maneframe

One of the things I find frustrating to a smoother gameplay and teamwork experience in Warframe is the instanced resources. As you all know by now, the resource drops, and then everyone has to pick it up individually, just like mods. I've ran into many times where the team has to wait on someone to come grab and grab a resource, or even times where I get a group that wants to rush ahead, and they don't get any of the resources I pick up. If everyone got resources when one picked them up, splitting up would be a viable option, and exploring would be a more viable option. There's not a lot of reason for the whole team to go explore a side room. I've also found myself not fighting many times to go back and grab resources, or to look around to make sure I didn't miss any that someone else picked up. It can become rather frustrating at time. The other thing that doesn't make any sense is that credits are not instanced, but everything else is.

That's an interesting idea the only issue I see is: rushers will gain all the benefits of leaving behind team mates without any downside at all.

I mean this is great for a group of 4 friends who want to split up, but for the average explorer who is always left behind in the dust, he can't even have the satisfaction that his exploring is netting him something that the people just rushing on ahead won't ever get. 

Sounds kind of self-centered I suppose but just my thoughts.

Edited by LaznAzn

That's an interesting idea the only issue I see is: rushers will gain all the benefits of leaving behind team mates without any downside at all.

I mean this is great for a group of 4 friends who want to split up, but for the average explorer who is always left behind in the dust, he can't even have the satisfaction that his exploring is netting him something that the people just rushing on ahead won't ever get. 

Sounds kind of self-centered I suppose but just my thoughts.

Yeah, I've thought of that too, and the point kind of stands that AT LEAST the guy lagging behind would now be of some use to the rushers. And The "explorer" would get the resources that the rushers pick up too. It does kind of suck that the rushers get them too, but in the end I'm not too convinced it really matters much, because the explorer guy still benefits. I know I wouldn't care if a few guys got to mooch off of my resources. I don't lose anything for it, right?

I agree with this idea, completely.  To counter rushers, just make it so everyone has to be within a certain distance of each other and then everyone gets the pickup. 

I suppose that would work, but that still gets a little hairy when you split into twos and go completely opposite ways (which, by the way, my friends and I do on a regular basis.)

Eh sorry OP but I kinda hate this idea.  Unlike the cash rewards, the resources kind of encourage you to not just leave everyone behind and rush.  By implementing this, you take away the biggest downside to rushing a level.

Problem is: It doesn't work. people rush anyways.

I suppose that would work, but that still gets a little hairy when you split into twos and go completely opposite ways (which, by the way, my friends and I do on a regular basis.)

Well then there are 2 pairs of people and 2 pairs of drops.  It would make no sense for everyone on the entire map to get both sets of items.

Problem is: It doesn't work. people rush anyways.

I never said people don't rush, but this would only encourage the problem to get worse.  With this implemented, there is virtually no downside to rushing, as long as one person is actually trying to find stuff and you get credit for it regardless.

Well then there are 2 pairs of people and 2 pairs of drops.  It would make no sense for everyone on the entire map to get both sets of items.

I'm not so sure I agree. Then it would actually encourage the team work aspect of it. Because the team implemented a good idea to quickly get resources instead of rushing and leaving someone behind, they get resources faster, as a team. It's not about "well, if we leave this guy behind we get all the resources anyways" Because it's another one of those things that in trying to prevent a specific behavior, they're also preventing some good teamwork options, and another gameplay style.

I disagree with this approach.

My experience with gameplay like this is that everyone runs around crazily and kills what they can, and if a good drop happens they waypoint it. Others converge when they're done with their chaos to pick up the items left behind.

The problem with this is that mods leave a visible particle effect, so does ammo. Resources do not. If you're too close to something when you break it, kill it, or open it, you may end up not seeing that resource fly out. And since the horrible indicator at the bottom only shows one item at a time, you may not even see if you did pick anything up.

The two fixes I see as needing to happen is:

1) Leave some sort of particle/indicator behind so someone knows there's a resource there that others haven't gotten and can call it out.

2) Fix the "pickup" indicator at the bottom to have 4-5 rows and scroll as you pick stuff up, then fade out.

It requires a different style of gameplay -- some actual coordination and trust -- but doesn't feel like it's "too easy" as OP's solution sounds.

I never said people don't rush, but this would only encourage the problem to get worse.  With this implemented, there is virtually no downside to rushing, as long as one person is actually trying to find stuff and you get credit for it regardless.

I like what the other guy said about having to be within a specific range. if that was paired with a few other conditions, such as amount of resource drops picked up, maybe the the people that rush could experience a cut to the amount of resources they get from the drop. Like, if they were 12 rooms ahead, and they scavenged a bit and found 6 resource drops, and the guy behind found 6, they'd be fine, but if the three guys ran ahead and only got one, and the guy that stayed behind a certain distance found 8 or 9, maybe the rushers would experience a cut to the resources the other guy picked up. I think it becomes a matter of identifying what a "rusher" is, and having the game be able to identify them.

And since the horrible indicator at the bottom only shows one item at a time, you may not even see if you did pick anything up.

As an easy change that would help quite a bit, I'd like to see them change the display priority changed so that resources are displayed first when multiple items are picked up

I disagree with this approach.

My experience with gameplay like this is that everyone runs around crazily and kills what they can, and if a good drop happens they waypoint it. Others converge when they're done with their chaos to pick up the items left behind.

The problem with this is that mods leave a visible particle effect, so does ammo. Resources do not. If you're too close to something when you break it, kill it, or open it, you may end up not seeing that resource fly out. And since the horrible indicator at the bottom only shows one item at a time, you may not even see if you did pick anything up.

The two fixes I see as needing to happen is:

1) Leave some sort of particle/indicator behind so someone knows there's a resource there that others haven't gotten and can call it out.

2) Fix the "pickup" indicator at the bottom to have 4-5 rows and scroll as you pick stuff up, then fade out.

It requires a different style of gameplay -- some actual coordination and trust -- but doesn't feel like it's "too easy" as OP's solution sounds.

I actually really like this idea. maybe they shouldn't even just leave a particle effect, and they should leave some kind of a marker on the minimap or on the UI. For example, maybe the resources would highlight and be visible through walls, just like players are, but in some other color?

In whatever way resources are picked up be it one person gets it and everyone gets it or the way we have it now, what I think one thing should happen is all resources and mods should stay on the board till extraction, that way everyone gets a shot at the stuff. I know from my own experience especially in defense missions you only have a limited time to gather stuff and if you are using a slow frame like a Rhino they go away if your not quick enough. At least this way you still have a shot because in the heat of battle you may not be able to get to the mod or resource.

I'm not so sure I agree. Then it would actually encourage the team work aspect of it. Because the team implemented a good idea to quickly get resources instead of rushing and leaving someone behind, they get resources faster, as a team. It's not about "well, if we leave this guy behind we get all the resources anyways" Because it's another one of those things that in trying to prevent a specific behavior, they're also preventing some good teamwork options, and another gameplay style.

I am currently unable to decipher this.  Sorry.

I am currently unable to decipher this.  Sorry.

Sorry, D: What I meant to say was: If a team split into two's to scavenge for materials more quickly, and the game had a way of rewarding this efficiently, it would be promoting good teamwork. The current system in many ways doesn't promote good teamwork, nor the idea I suggested. That's all I meant to say. I wanted to see what other people thought about my idea, but I have different and better ones now. I'll make a thread once this one dies down a bit.

But the game is meant for you to all work together, and be together. Wolf pack style. You're meant to stay together, kill together, complete the objective together. When one person has the datamass, you are supposed to cover them and help them. If one person has the captive, cover them so they don't die. That's what this game is designed around, teamwork. Having it so when people split up there's no penalty, goes against that.

No thanks OP.

But the game is meant for you to all work together, and be together. Wolf pack style. You're meant to stay together, kill together, complete the objective together. When one person has the datamass, you are supposed to cover them and help them. If one person has the captive, cover them so they don't die. That's what this game is designed around, teamwork. Having it so when people split up there's no penalty, goes against that.

No thanks OP.

You don't have to be hugging someone's &#! to work as a team. If the full group is in communication with one another, and decide to split up, they shouldn't be punished for it, other than having to deal with more difficult combat. I actually would like to see objectives that require some kind of long distance co-ordination, heist movie style (Maybe you could have a door with a timed switch a few rooms away; one member goes and hits the switch, the other goes through and holds it open from the other side).

As far as sharing pickups go, I might amend that to only work for people on your friends/clan list, or only people within the room with you.