Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reworking Quick Thinking Is Necessary. Here's An Idea.

BrazilianJoe

So we have this thing with Quick Thinking. 

It used to be an awesome card with OP effect, then it was nerfed, and nerfed, and currently it has bad mechanics, in which its side effects defeat its purpose. 

The mechanics: Once the player takes lethal damage (would send HP below 1), HP stays at 2 instead and damage is applied to energy instead. To prvent abuse, the player is staggered when it takes a lot of damage. 

The problem: The stagger is completely unavoidable and the player is helpless, often resulting (in high levels) in a second enemy shooting the staggered player, depleting the energy and killing the player (bleed-out AND 0 energy).

Proposed solution: With Quick Thinking, any spellcasting recharges the player's shields, possibly giving him overshields. Overshield's maximum is increased. 

Max Overshield Buff: Base Energy * 2 (mods don't count)

Shield buff: Base power cost (25/50/75/100 in most cases)* 2. i.e. Streamline does not debuff shield gained. 

Gaining shields causes it to immediately start regenerating, if not at overshields level.

All previous effects are discarded: player stagger and cap HP at 2, transfer damage to energy at 240% efficiency. 

In gameplay terms:

Previously the player had a large buffer to its life. THis is still true.

Previously the "I don't die" was considered bad and a stagger was added (which is bad in a different way).

This is replaced by the requirement for active engagement. Quick Thinking in this new form: 'I am almost dead, must cast  a power to get some shields up fast!'

Relatively simple to implement, because it  piggybacks on an existing mechanic.

Does not impair Rage mechanics, the R+QT combo still works well but does not generate an infinite health+energy loop.

Encourages spell casting, which is good!

i think the only problem with QT atm is the stagger lock. this can be fixed by adding to QT the effects of the PvP mod Anticipation that grants a 8s immunity to stagger after a previous stagger has been inflicted. the stagger immunity bound to QT can be less, 4s should be enough to allow escaping a dangerous spot.

to clarify it think the OP's idea doesn't really address the issue because u can't cast if you are locked in stagger after stagger and then die

Edited by ..atom..

See... At first I was going to jump on and agree with a buff but this? Don't even insult the mods power, as is it creates a massive extra health pool that's actually affected by armor damage reduction, with it and flow on most frames it'll equal more of a damage shield than even a thousand extra shields would. Sure the stagger sucks and should honestly be removed, but such a change as this would severely reduce its viability. And the stagger can be avoided if you know how it works.

Edit:Dam typos

Edited by DarcnyssWolfe