Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Whose The Brain Behind The Sentients Brawn?

(PSN)FlyaThanAkitE

I dont think its a Hivemind... A Hivemind is 2+ beings thinking the same thing, drawing the same conclusions and having the same methods, its ultimately: a single being with many minds, there are no distinction of each another nor individuality.

I think the Sentients remain each an individual, but they can connect their minds without losing their sense of "Self", hence why Natah was able to make her own decisions despite what Hunhow and the rest of the Sentients wanted.

Hivemind has 2 descriptions to it but we typically see the one you're mentioning. The other is a collection of linked minds that share information and experiences but individuals still exist within it.

I never implied that the Sentients lack a sense of self but they do have a mental connection. I do not believe they can exert their will onto each other(something the Infested does).

Hivemind has 2 descriptions to it but we typically see the one you're mentioning. The other is a collection of linked minds that share information and experiences but individuals still exist within it.

I never implied that the Sentients lack a sense of self but they do have a mental connection. I do not believe they can exert their will onto each other(something the Infested does).

I don't quite agree on them fitting in the typical hivemind corner. 

While some sort of mind-datalink is plausible as they are supposedly able to transfer battle data at their moment of death (or even while fighting) to learn from this data...this seems to be more of a functional/learned thing that was valued as something necessary during their own evolutionary process...which is mostly uknown to us for now.

Furthermore this link seems to be something you can simply turn off...as Natah otherwise would've caused some trouble for us like WAY sooner. 

They are also not entirely likeminded since Natahs daddy is all like "I won't really be able to hold them back"....pointing at a somewhat democratic form....while real hiveminds would not have any democracy at all since either a leader would crystallize or the minds would start linking up, always thinking the same thing.

All in all the Sentient are about the most unnatural life form that probably also have the most unnatural politics (likely a twisted democracy). They were supposed to be given simply commands and then just fullfill those...that would probably explain the origin of this link.

Edited by Shehriazad

I don't quite agree on them fitting in the typical hivemind corner. 

I never said they were the "typical hivemind". Again there are 2 forms of this and not all of it fits the description that you + others present. 

While some sort of mind-datalink is plausible as they are supposedly able to transfer battle data at their moment of death (or even while fighting) to learn from this data...this seems to be more of a functional/learned thing that was valued as something necessary during their own evolutionary process...which is mostly uknown to us for now.

Furthermore this link seems to be something you can simply turn off...as Natah otherwise would've caused some trouble for us like WAY sooner. 

The link between their minds shouldn't be up for dispute because Steve made it very clear that they share some kind of mental link. Whether they are able to do this naturally or learned it is irrelevant.

Also, It should be fairly obvious that they can turn it off at will or shield themselves against a mind-link signal at least.

They are also not entirely likeminded since Natahs daddy is all like "I won't really be able to hold them back"....pointing at a somewhat democratic form....while real hiveminds would not have any democracy at all since either a leader would crystallize or the minds would start linking up, always thinking the same thing.

Again, you're thinking of one type of hivemind and i already said they aren't like-minded entities. "I do not believe they can exert their will onto others"

I personally believe a hive mind set up so far as their experiences and tactics, but a somewhat more individualized hierarchy, going by how natah and hunhow ate clearly intelligent individuals, with no legion exactly to their minds. I do highly expect close families though, especially since natah basically went insane from losing the ability to procreate, instead adopting her species' worst enemies as surrogate children

EDIT: actually, as I think more on it, I'm reminded of why it's so hard to get rid of mosquitoes. Family numbers. Killing one with poison is easy, even a thousand, but if even one survives tthat's immune to the poison, the thousands born from that one are all immune. It would make them a monstrous threat if suddenly the mosquitoes not only survived, but metabolized and used the poison.

Honestly, I'm expecting sentient weapons, provided we get any, to be advanced tech upgrades to some of the weapons that aren't simply bullets or blades.

Edited by (PS4)Zashukitsune

I personally believe a hive mind set up so far as their experiences and tactics, but a somewhat more individualized hierarchy, going by how natah and hunhow ate clearly intelligent individuals, with no legion exactly to their minds. I do highly expect close families though, especially since natah basically went insane from losing the ability to procreate, instead adopting her species' worst enemies as surrogate children

This is more or less how i view it as well.

^ What kind of societal structure the Sentients have is unclear, but I'd wager that given the kinds of thick familial bonds they are shown to have during Natah that it's the most ancient of the Sentients that have the more authority.

I don't think that the Sentients are a hivemind myself, however, not really sure what suggests that much and I feel that using the hivemind idea would be kinda weak given the Infested already use this trope in their design.

As for WHY the Sentients turned on the Orokin, that's unclear, but given how the Orokin treated the likes of Grineer and Lorists I don't think its too implausible to assume the answer has something to do with the treatment the Sentients received at their hands.

Hive-minded? No. Collective consciousness, networked so that what one sees and learns, the entire collective sees and learns; a.k.a. Rapid Technological Adaptation and Orokin Assimilation.

The Sentient were more than likely created by the Orokin. After all everything that has gone wrong in the Origin System has been created or started by the Orokin. Would it be too hard to believe the Sentient are another experiment of them gone wrong?

sentient is a hivemind and it might be that orokin have build the sentients and backfired but that is just theory

sentient isnt a hivemind (play the NATAH quest) the sentient DRONES were made by the orokin then turned against them by the sentient the actual sentient are a race NOT A BUNCH OF ROBOTS (again play the NATAH quest)