The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Weapon Suggestion] Chinese Twin Broadswords.

Luminati07

Hey everyone,

I just finished watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (for probably the 50th time), and I thought to myself, "Hang on, twin broadswords would have to be some of the most badass weaponry that could work with Warframe." Not to mention, the animation potential is limitless.

For those that don't know what Chinese Broadswords (Dao) are:

They are essentially two separate swords that form a single weapon.

Both swords go into a single sheath, and can be wielded either as a single sword, or dual swords.

92_big.jpg

It is a little hard for me to explain, I'm just using what (little) knowledge I have. If I make any mistakes, just let me know.

Seeing as I don't know a huge amount about these blades, I'll leave you with a couple of examples.

Exhibit A: Start the video, and see if you can pick up (on the first go) when the swords are separated.

Skip to 0:25 if you like.

I did have a link that skipped to the right part, but the embedding didn't agree with it.

Exhibit B: Not as subtle, but shows how sheathing the weapons works.

Skip to 0:19 for this one. Reason is stated above.

If that doesn't scream badass, I don't know what does.

My vision for the animations they would use if Warframe would be something like this:

You have a sheath on your back/hip, the first couple of melee strikes would be with a single blade. After these first two/three strikes, you will 'split' them, and begin attacking with two (increases attack speed).

Then the animation would continue to attack with dual blades until you let go of the melee button, your character will 'join' the swords together and sheath them.

Apologies if someone has suggested this before. I have not seen the suggestion yet, so I thought I'd post it myself.

Thoughts?
Nugget_

Edited by Nugget_

This, I would use. Perhaps have a nice mix, where the single sword hit deals like, ten more damage than the hits with both, but can only hit a single target? It would become a great skill weapon, what with timing the strikes.

Or, possibly this would be the only melee weapon without a charge, and instead holding the E key would switch to dual mode/single mode? Single mode would need quite a buff in damage to make this worth it, but I'd use them.

This, I would use. Perhaps have a nice mix, where the single sword hit deals like, ten more damage than the hits with both, but can only hit a single target? It would become a great skill weapon, what with timing the strikes.

Or, possibly this would be the only melee weapon without a charge, and instead holding the E key would switch to dual mode/single mode? Single mode would need quite a buff in damage to make this worth it, but I'd use them.

Great ideas, first idea was very good. I like the idea of the damage changing depending on whether you're striking with one or 2 swords.

Not sure how hard that would be to implement, but it's a very interesting idea.

The trouble is, how would it balance the styles? Personally, I would like to be able to switch between the two styles on demand, instead of depending on which swing you do. But I'm not sure about removing charge, now that I think about it... Perhaps have charge attacks be with a single sword, and simply attack very very rapidly, like a standard hit, instead of a charge?

Having some dao would be cool. Though, as has been mentioned before, the current balance of Warframe makes single blades unattractive, so some new mechanics would be needed to make both modes viable.

And with the new polearms, there's a lot of cool stuff from Chinese culture. A ge or a ji, for example.

Having some dao would be cool. Though, as has been mentioned before, the current balance of Warframe makes single blades unattractive, so some new mechanics would be needed to make both modes viable.

And with the new polearms, there's a lot of cool stuff from Chinese culture. A ge or a ji, for example.

That's true.

I have a feeling DE will do something about longswords eventually. They're very good at listening to feedback, and improving the game based on it.

Also, I agree, there's a tonne of cool stuff they could bring over from Chinese culture...Too many for me to list :)