The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Companions Attacking Melee-Stealthkilled Targets

TheLexiConArtist

Bug:

Attempting stealthy runs through missions is often broken by a companion (in my case, typically my Carrier/Prime) taking a potshot at a target I just killed with melee stealth attack, alerting the room if it has a 'loud' attack.

Possible cause:

Physically 'bumping' a unit flags them as alerted (regardless of stealth, invisibility, etc) and any non-stealth companion (e.g. not Shade, possibly not Huras Kubrow) will therefore identify them as valid targets. Stealth companions require the player to take a hit before acting.

Performing a melee stealth finisher generally involves physical contact between player and target, which may be incorrectly flagging them as 'alert'.

There is a window of time between completing a stealth finisher and the target taking its damage and (typically) dying in which the companion can act on the target's 'alert' state.

Suggested Resolution:

Cause any target involved in a stealth finish action to become unalerted and impossible to enter alert state until the action is completed (damage is applied).

There's no abuse case for this as stealth finisher animations preclude actions by the target anyway, this is strictly for the benefit of Companion AI / anything else that acts differently based on alert status.

Edited by EDYinnit

The cause is either one of the following:

Preset Striker: Carrier will attack the first visible enemy in range. Increasing level increases range.

Bumped like you said.

Solution? Unequip Sentinel Weapon and/or attack preset.

Companions AI is meant to ignore all targets until alerted to facilitate stealth play. A stealth-instakilled target causing it to attack is a definite bug.

That's not a solution. That's a workaround until the problem is fixed. There is a difference.

Edited by EDYinnit