The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma Prime Build For Forma Noob

NuggetsTheCat

Question

The Soma P is currently my go to weapon for anything difficult but it hasn't had a lot of use recently as I'm working my way through the other stuff for MR. I've never got round to formaing anything up until now and was thinking it was maybe about time i tried it out.

This is my current build.

2nm183c.jpg

At the moment i don't really need to forma it as i haven't ranked up all my mods but what should i be aiming for if i want to go all out on this weapon? I have 12 forma currently so easily enough to do the whole weapon if needed. What do you guys think?

Edited by NuggetsTheCat

10 answers to this question

I say add a V or 2 for Serration and split chamber. These mods are alsi the ones you want to max first (Serration can be some off top as long as you can kill stuff, rank 6-8 is good).

PS. Is that the Prime version? I see increased magazine.

Edited by Jeloxale

I think you should first invest the time to get the soma prime. it's a relatively easy weapon to get imo. 

But either way, this is my go to build for both weapons. http://goo.gl/adkkm9 you can drop the shred for heavy cal if you want but this is one weapon where i can fell the accuracy drop and I would rather have the punch through anyway.

4 forma

All max mods

Serration

Split chamber

Vital sense

Point Strike

Shred/Heavy Cal

Ammo Mutation

2 90% elemental mods

Edited by (PS4)jFresh215

Add two dash and three v polarities.  This'll allow you to do pretty much everything with it.  The most limiting is Heavy Cal and Viral, you'll have to use a 9 drain Cryo, or Rime Rounds if you have it.  Serration, Split Chamber, Shred, Point Strike, and Vital Sense don't ever get unequipped (hence the 5 v polarities).  The other three slots are used for swapping between Corrosive and Cold, Magnetic and Toxin, Corrosive and Heat, and Viral and Heat, as appropriate.  For viral and heat you'll need to swap the polarized slots to get the element order right.

Ammo mutation is unnecessary, just pair it with something like a Vaykor Marelok or Lex Prime, and be good with the trigger discipline.  Heavy cal's a bad idea - Soma Prime is a crit based weapon so reliable headcrits are more damage, and help with the trigger discipline.  That being said, this setup will slot Heavy Cal if that's your preference.

If you really want to it'll support viral and slash, if you're one of those people.

Edit:  Rank 2 Serration and rank 1 Split Chamber?  Those two as high as possible should be your immediate and first concern, everything else goes off of that.  Definitely try to fix that situation asap.

Edited by (PS4)Cwellann

The build is actually pretty correct, it just needs some stuff leveled up. For now, replace the 90% Toxin with a 60%/60% dropped from Corrupted Vor; Remove the Hammer Shot for some more mod points; swap the Crit mods with Serration and Split Chamber so those two are in the V polarities and level them up. Put a few more ranks on Shred so it can penetrate enemies as well as cover - I would push it to 9-10 points if you can't max it. This leaves you with an open slot and a few extra points - toss in a midrank Fast Hands to fill them, or swap back to a 90% elemental (if you have 4 free points).

So, you're looking at:

BS9SY3c.png?1

With no added forma

Eventually, you're looking at installing 4 additional forma, for 4V and 2- polarities in total. The final build will look something like:

BQTI1Yq.png?1

Edit: For a 5th Forma you can install Heavy Caliber in place of Cryo Rounds, but your damage only goes up by 23% while your accuracy is heavily reduced, making consistent headshots impossible from range.

Finally, if you're looking to conserve the amount of Forma you spend, you can make a pretty decent build using 60%/60% elements for only one Forma - It will compete well against armor because the Corrosive proc is pretty powerful, but the straight damage build above will do better against other factions and in 4x CP groups.

U0XkKGL.png?1

Edit: Remember that headshot damage for this weapon is multiplied by an average of 3.5x damage, so we don't want to install HCal and we can get a much higher DPS in game than is displayed here. The 22.6 thousand burst dps on the 4 forma build translates to 79 thousand DPS when making headshots, which is what makes the Soma series so powerful compared to other weapons with only ~2.1x damage and/or spread/inaccuracy and/or projectile travel time.

Edited by Darzk

I've decided to hold off on my Forma efforts.  I know that DE is working on a complete rescale of the game which might remove Serration entirely, along with Hornet Strike, and ... the shotgun mod... Point Blank?  At the same time, they've been talking about changing Split Chamber to use extra ammo on each consecutive shot, because "that was the original intent".

Yeah, they programmed multishot wrong, and then added a ton more multishot mods, which were also wrong?

Then again, I'm pretty sure it's safe to put forma on for elements.