The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Help On How To Improve Playing With Keyboard And Mouse

SUB-ZER0GAMER

Question

Hey fellow Tennos.

I was unsure where to put this thread as it is partially to do with Warframe but at the same time I want to learn how to play other games with Keyboard and Mouse and not a controller. Any help or tips would be great.

Thanks. (and sorry if this is put in the wrong area :/)

8 answers to this question

I don't think it's hard. Aim with mouse on enemy head press left mouse button to shoot while moving with wasd. No idea how to make it simpler.

Maybe not difficult for you but being a console gamer for around 13 years prior to getting my first gaming PC back in April I have had little to no experience with a keyboard and mouse for gaming and it's kinda annoying :(

Play FPS shooters. any of them for awhile. Try tf2 as it is free, get used to that WASD- Mouse set

Get comfortable with the shift key and ctrl key with your pinkie as well as the spacebar for your thumb.

Please note that you may rebind keys if they are not comfortable for you.

You may also change the mouse sensitivity to a comfortable level, somewhere around 2 or 1.5 for smoothness

Get comfortable with your wrist on your mouse. Try not to grip the mouse too hard as that can lead to cramps. Get relaxed with it, no pressure while only using your wrist, index and middle finger. (Unless you have a mouse with multiple hotkeys, then your thumb is your friend)

Know the placing of your fingers as well to the point where you don't have to look at the keyboard where WASD/Ctrl/Shift keys are as well as the other keys used within the game. Again rebinding is possible.

If you need anymore please reply and I'll be glad to assist o3o!

roll_taokaka_by_mikagome007.gif

Edited by KJRenz

You need a mouse that suits you. Different mice are geared towards different grip styles that in turn suit different players. Claw grip, palm grip, fingertip etc. I use fingertip grip so it's easy to pick the mouse up and move it around. Google some pics for "mouse grip"

In windows mouse settings set sensitivity to the 6th notch and leave it there. That's 1:1 raw input to windows mouse driver. Either side and it will interpolate or extrapolate the raw data. You might also play with "enhance pointer precision" in the same settings. That turns acceleration on and off. Some like it, some don't. I don't. It can make a big difference.

Adjust sensitivity further within the game. My rule of thumb in a game like Warframe is to spin 180 degree and end up facing the opposite direction. If you overshoot, reduce sensitivity. If you undershoot, increase it. Use a corridor or doorway as a guide. The idea is to find a point that is both comfortable and dependable, time and time again.

Then practice. Take a pistol like Lex and head shot an entire map.

For the keyboard, look at what actions you need and rebind keys so the most often used ones are comfortable to use over and over, especially those used for parkour. Your little pinky is going to get sore at first.

Then practice some more.

Edited by Kihana

Play FPS shooters. any of them for awhile. Try tf2 as it is free, get used to that WASD- Mouse set

Get comfortable with the shift key and ctrl key with your pinkie as well as the spacebar for your thumb.

Please note that you may rebind keys if they are not comfortable for you.

You may also change the mouse sensitivity to a comfortable level, somewhere around 2 or 1.5 for smoothness

Get comfortable with your wrist on your mouse. Try not to grip the mouse too hard as that can lead to cramps. Get relaxed with it, no pressure while only using your wrist, index and middle finger. (Unless you have a mouse with multiple hotkeys, then your thumb is your friend)

Know the placing of your fingers as well to the point where you don't have to look at the keyboard where WASD/Ctrl/Shift keys are as well as the other keys used within the game. Again rebinding is possible.

If you need anymore please reply and I'll be glad to assist o3o!

roll_taokaka_by_mikagome007.gif

Practice

I know it's not what you're looking for, but if practice doesn't get you anywhere, you could always plug in your Xbox, PS4 or other such game controller into your PC.

You need a mouse that suits you. Different mice are geared towards different grip styles that in turn suit different players. Claw grip, palm grip, fingertip etc. I use fingertip grip so it's easy to pick the mouse up and move it around. Google some pics for "mouse grip"

In windows mouse settings set sensitivity to the 6th notch and leave it there. That's 1:1 raw input to windows mouse driver. Either side and it will interpolate or extrapolate the raw data. You might also play with "enhance pointer precision" in the same settings. That turns acceleration on and off. Some like it, some don't. I don't. It can make a big difference.

Adjust sensitivity further within the game. My rule of thumb in a game like Warframe is to spin 180 degree and end up facing the opposite direction. If you overshoot, reduce sensitivity. If you undershoot, increase it. Use a corridor or doorway as a guide. The idea is to find a point that is both comfortable and dependable, time and time again.

Then practice. Take a pistol like Lex and head shot an entire map.

For the keyboard, look at what actions you need and rebind keys so the most often used ones are comfortable to use over and over, especially those used for parkour. Your little pinky is going to get sore at first.

Then practice some more.

Thanks for the tips guys. I tried some of your advice and done a mission on Apollodorus, Mercury and killed 415 Grineer with 145 headshots over 20 minutes :D