Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Graphics Card Heat Issues

DCypherThis13

Question

Greetings fellow Tenno.

I am hoping that someone out there can help me with this little problem. I have an Asus GeForce GTX650Ti OC with 2 Gb of GDDR5. It runs everything I play just fine, but recently it has been running hot. I have been seeing temperatures approaching 65C,at which point I will shut down the game I'm playing and let it cool, even though the threshold temperature is 105C. I have not made any changes to my system that would increase the strain on the card and I keep it free of dust. I just cleaned it out this morning and put some fresh thermal paste on my CPU.

When I bought the card I was able to run any of my games all day and I never saw the temperature get above 50C. Lately, I can't seem to run any game for more than 10 minutes before it gets to 65C again. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: My rig is air cooled and all of the fans are working just fine.

Edited by DCypherThis13

2 answers to this question

You replaced the thermal paste on your cpu.

But you did not replace the thermal paste on your gpu (the graphics card in question).

It is definitely possible that the thermal paste on your gpu could use replacing. However, I really wouldn't worry about those kind of temperatures at all. My 7970 gets to 80C pretty normally with a demanding game and is absolutely okay with it.

That being said, if it bothers you, you can use a third party program to set a custom fan curve for your gpu to make it cool itself more aggressively (at a cost of increased noise).

I'm pretty fairly comfortable getting under the hood of a PC, but the thought of taking the heat sink off of that card is a little daunting. The heat sink and fans are held in place by 4 screws under spring tension and I really don't want to wreck anything. That's why I didn't replace the goop on the gpu.

I've got 4 120mm fans running flat out all the time. So, a little extra noise isn't going to bother me one bit. I guess I'll reinstall Asus GPU Tweak and see what it can do. Thanks for the help.