The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Log Into Warframe Through Steam If You Have The Standalone Version Without Redownloading

LifeNine

Question

Disclaimer: This worked for me and I can't guarantee this will work for everybody because every will have different systems, but I don't see a reason why it won't work. I also don't know what will happen if Steam tries to update Warframe. I don't think there will be a problem, but there hasn't been an update since I tried this. Using Steam to update Warframe doesn't cause any problems as far as I can tell.

Warning: This requires some knowledge of using the Command Prompt in Windows. Improper use may cause problems. Therefore be careful when using it and most importantly know what you are doing before doing it.

This guide is for people with the standalone version of Warframe and wish to view the Steam Workshop items that are available in the market place, but don't want to redownload a second copy of Warframe or completely convert their standalone copy of Warframe to the Steam version.

I modified steps in the "Converting Standalone version of Steam Version" guide to convert the standalone version of Warframe to the Steam version: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Rxl-noir/Methods_For_Backup,_Restoring_And_Converting_Warframe_%28Steam_And_Standalone_Version%29

• Find where your standalone copy of Warframe is located. It's the \Warframe\Downloaded\Public folder. (Modified step 1 of wiki guide)
  • Start the installation of Warframe on Steam up to the point where it starts downloading the Warframe game, which is a couple of gigabytes in size. Pause the download and close Steam completely. Delete the "230410" folder and any other part file related to the 230410 download in \SteamApps\downloading folder located in you steam installation folder. Open appmanifest_230410.acf in a text editor, like Notepad and change the "StateFlags" number from "1026" to "4" (Step 3 of wiki guide)
  • Make links from the \SteamApps\common\Warframe folder to the files and folders of your standalone version of Warframe found in step 1. (Modified step 4 of wiki guide)

Here's how to make the links:
    • Open Command Prompt in Administrator mode. Search for "Command Prompt" or "cmd.exe" in the windows start menu and right click it and click "Run as administrator"
    • Go to \SteamApps\common\Warframe folder by using the "cd" command. Replace "steam install directory" with the path of your own install path

cd "steam install directory"\SteamApps\common\Warframe
      or if you have steam installed on another drive besides the C drive
      cd /d "steam install directory"\SteamApps\common\Warframe
    • Create hardlinks for folders and symbolic links for other files. Replace "warframe install path" with where you have Warframe installed.

mklink /h Cache.Windows "warframe install path"\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Cache.Windows
      Do the same thing for the "Driver", "Lotus", and "Tools" folder using the command above but changing Cache.Windows into the appropriate folder name.
    • Create symbolic links to the other files. Replace "warframe install path" with where you have Warframe installed.

mklink Warframe.x64.exe "warframe install path"\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Warframe.x64.exe
      Do the same with the "CachePlan.txt" file by replacing "Warframe.x64.exe" twice with "Cacheplan.txt" in the above command.
  • Open up Steam again and Warframe should not download. You can play Warframe through Steam and view the Steam workshop items in the market place. I haven't tried buying anything, but I think you should be able to buy it in the game.

Edited by LifeNine
Update with new information

8 answers to this question

Can't you just link the game through steam? "Add a non-steam game to my library" I did that with COD4. Instantaneous and worked fine.

I did that before, but it doesn't really link Steam to Warframe. It just creates a shortcut to Warframe as far as I know. That's why I was never able to see the steam workshop stuff before.

So, I'm a little confused. I have Warframe through Steam, but I've never seen any Workshop stuff in the market. Is there a tab that's supposed to be there that I don't have?

In the market, there is a little steam icon beside the Prime Access tab. Click it to see the steam stuff.

12 hours ago, SirDogManThing said:

I keep getting "access is denied" in cmd when creating the links.

You probably need to open the cmd as admin. Right click the cmd.exe icon in the menu and select run as admin.