Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soldier, Tactical Frame Concept. Yes, Again...

Kinetos

Soldier, Tactical frame concept.

Passive. Takes reduced damage from AoE effects?

1. Field Modifications

Instant

Cycles through A, B, C mod loadouts on the equipped weapon.

Allows for swapping elements on the fly, or damage vs utility builds, or melee stances.

Will skip any loadout with no mods installed.

2. Ammo Reserves

Toggle

If weapon magazine is empty, continuing to fire consumes energy.

Efficiency depends on efficiency, duration, percentage of a magazine the shot consumes normally.

Can manually reload or toggle ability off to use Ammo again, or if you have no Ammo at all, this will allow you to use energy instead.

3. Close Quarters

Duration

On taking damage from enemy within x meters, enemy is "exposed" (open to finishers if available, knocked down if not) .

Exposed enemies drop health orbs, 100% chance if by a finisher, otherwise a lesser chance.

4. Exalted Rifle (name is placeholder)

Toggle

It's a souped up Braton/Karak/Boltor with attached Tonkor (alternate fire)

Scales off primary mods. Has stock strike for quick melee.

Using Field Modifications swaps primary weapon loadout and updates the special weapon.

Edited by KinetosImpetus

Soldier, Tactical frame concept.

Passive. Takes reduced damage from AoE effects?

1. Field Modifications

Instant

Cycles through A, B, C mod loadouts on the equipped weapon.

Allows for swapping elements on the fly, or damage vs utility builds.

Will skip any loadout with no mods installed.

2. Ammo Reserves

Toggle

If weapon magazine is empty, continuing to fire consumes energy.

Efficiency depends on efficiency, duration, percentage of a magazine the shot consumes normally.

Can reload to use Ammo again, or if you have no Ammo at all, this will allow you to use energy instead.

3. Close Quarters

Duration

On taking damage from enemy within x meters, enemy is "exposed" (open to finishers if available, knocked down if not) .

Exposed enemies drop health orbs, 100% chance if by a finisher, otherwise a lesser chance.

4. Exalted Rifle (name is placeholder)

Toggle

It's a souped up Braton/Karak/Boltor with attached Tonkor (alternate fire)

Scales off primary mods. Has stock strike for quick melee.

Using Field Modifications swaps primary weapon loadout and updates the special weapon.

Some feedback for you:

I really like the idea of the first power, sets it apart while still making him feel weapon-based.

Not sure about the second power - on one hand it's neat, but on the other hand 90% of the guns I personally use all the time have great ammo economy, leading this move to be something I'd (personally) hardly ever use.

Third power I don't know how I feel about. I mean, utility-wise it'd be handy to have, but for some reason it feels like combining the moves of other frames to me - like a Nezha combined with blind or Mesa shooting gallery.

Fourth I don't really like - I mean, the "alt combat mode toggle" works, but I feel like something more inventive could probably be done with it as well.

Alternative ideas:

It's hard to really come up with ideas that don't feel like they are just ripping off another frame. Any sort of grenade type thing (outside of pure damage that would lack utility for high-level things) would fall into that category really, but mayhaps some form or thrown/launched projectile that causes armor reduction? Power mods would effect the armor reduction %, range mods either the attack range (single target) or splash range (if aoe).

Perhaps instead of just causing a stun/finisher state on the third move, swap it to a "combat stance" of some sort that gives him a percentage chance to "dodge" incoming attacks, and upon that "dodge" it provides a health (or ammo if we don't want to step on trinity and oberon's toes) pulse to nearby enemies. Power mods could effect the restore amount, range mods the pulse range as well as "dodge' chance (implying it's reacting to "seeing it coming").

I'm not creative enough to come up with anything for an ult that's both active-feeling and not just "overwrite your current weapons" unfortunately, so I got no alternative ideas to give you as feedback there.

-snip-

yeah, 1 was my favorite for this set.

2 I know is geared towards bullet spam weapons, but that's what I picture a soldier frame using.

3 i think it needs a defensive skill, and I tried to not just copy shatter shield or vex armor.

4... I don't know. It was this or another Shadows of the Dead/Rumblers.

yeah, 1 was my favorite for this set.

2 I know is geared towards bullet spam weapons, but that's what I picture a soldier frame using.

3 i think it needs a defensive skill, and I tried to not just copy shatter shield or vex armor.

4... I don't know. It was this or another Shadows of the Dead/Rumblers.

I misread Rumblers at first, and now I'm stuck with the image of a gun-toting warframe surfing around on a carpet of Rollers.

And yeah, I totally could see where you were going with those moves, I'm just trying to think of how (specifically number two) wouldn't end up getting complained about by players who don't use the bullet spam weapons - because on some of my more trigger-happy multishot full auto builds, it would certainly be a ball (depending on how they balanced the energy drain of course). Still super like number 1. Who knows, maybe DE can take that idea and run with it, I mean, by now they've had to come up with a crap ton of themed moves so they should have an easier time right?

1: Not a good idea with how the game is formatted, and it doesn't provide any actual benefit anyway.

2: I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work for coding reasons. It would be buggy as hell with single-shot weapons, and is honestly pointless. Just reload the damn gun.

3: So it's a duration based, mobile hysteria. I'm not sure what the point of that is, but I think it leans on the OP side as you're essentially a duration-based bladestorm that can pick their targets and stuns enemies in the mean time.

4: No. Let's not. Let's not have your most powerful ability be just another gun with a grenade launcher. That's profoundly dull.

1: Not a good idea with how the game is formatted, and it doesn't provide any actual benefit anyway.

2: I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work for coding reasons. It would be buggy as hell with single-shot weapons, and is honestly pointless. Just reload the damn gun.

3: So it's a duration based, mobile hysteria. I'm not sure what the point of that is, but I think it leans on the OP side as you're essentially a duration-based bladestorm that can pick their targets and stuns enemies in the mean time.

4: No. Let's not. Let's not have your most powerful ability be just another gun with a grenade launcher. That's profoundly dull.

But them CoD integrations mang, gots to haves thems

1. Not changing it. Every other ability could change, but not this one. Theme could change even. If you don't see the use of it, move along to another topic. Adios.

2. Come up with something better, please.

3. Does not mitigate damage or status, does not teleport, does not clone the frame, is useless at any kind of distance. If anything, it's like Paralysis plus Desecrate plus Shatter Shield minus various parts of each, not Hysteria plus Bladestorm, not by a long shot.

4. We have exalted sword, bow, staff, pistols (with varying quality, but still...)

Why not a rifle?

Come up with something better.

Come up with something better for YOUR concept?

Well, if you insist.

1: I see the use of it just fine. You realize that you brought the wrong build because you didn't check your weapons before heading out, so you can change it. Is that worth an ability? No. God no, I wouldn't even take a gear wheel slot for that feature.

2: Double your magazine and increase your reload speed for a duration.

3: I didn't say Hysteria + Bladestorm. I said you're basically a mobile bladestorm since you run up to enemies and perform finishers on them en masse due to the AoE.

4: Why not a rifle? Because the last thing I'd want is to drop my Sancti Tigris, or my Quanta Vandal is a buffed Karak. It's still the Karak. It's still poop. Hard to come up with something better for this category since well... There's not much you can do with "Soldier, Tactical Frame" given that it's an incredibly dull concept. This is why DE doesn't use a cover system in Warframe, it's boring and you're not making full use of the weapons and movement system, so the question is then, what could a "Tactical Frame" do that would take advantage of Warframe's unique mechanics?

Come up with something better for YOUR concept?

Well, if you insist.

1: I see the use of it just fine. You realize that you brought the wrong build because you didn't check your weapons before heading out, so you can change it. Is that worth an ability? No. God no, I wouldn't even take a gear wheel slot for that feature.

2: Double your magazine and increase your reload speed for a duration.

3: I didn't say Hysteria + Bladestorm. I said you're basically a mobile bladestorm since you run up to enemies and perform finishers on them en masse due to the AoE.

4: Why not a rifle? Because the last thing I'd want is to drop my Sancti Tigris, or my Quanta Vandal is a buffed Karak. It's still the Karak. It's still poop. Hard to come up with something better for this category since well... There's not much you can do with "Soldier, Tactical Frame" given that it's an incredibly dull concept. This is why DE doesn't use a cover system in Warframe, it's boring and you're not making full use of the weapons and movement system, so the question is then, what could a "Tactical Frame" do that would take advantage of Warframe's unique mechanics?

There is a cover system though, it's called 'moving behind cover on walls/ground using parkour skills' In honesty though, I agree with you, this kinda thing DOESN'T fit the unique things warframe has not to mention it's rather blah, like, more blah than old Frost, where you just globe all day and that's it.

1 is just plain useless. If you didn't plan for the mission, that's on you. We'll set this apart as the token 'useless ability' that every frame has at least one of.

2 could have a damage buff for energy bullets, this would make it more helpful.

3 is so OP it wasn't funny, but went so far it's back around to funny again. For a less ridiculous and more original ability of the same name, reduce damage of enemies at a distance, debuff decreases as they approach (anti-sniper ability)

4 is pretty much the same ability as 2, just forcing you to use the Karak/Braton/Boltor/whatever. This is dumb. Make it a slam grenade instead, that lifts enemies into the air, then sends them flying back down and ragdolling them.

With 1 you can bring multiple stances, a weapon tuned for ferrite AND alloy, a max dps AND max efficiency with ammo mutation, armor stripping AND confusion.

It's not about oopsibroughtwrongmods its about there are multiple valid builds for even a single faction.

Edited by KinetosImpetus

Why would you want multiple stances? 

Why would you have 2/3 of a weapons builds tuned for the same faction? Then you'd just be resetting the builds constantly for each faction.

It doesn't provide any real benefit.

And you say Ferrite and Alloy armor, you COULD just bring a radiation/ viral primary (Which is good against ALL grineer btw) and a corrosive/ explosive secondary. That's the point of having two guns.

Why would you want multiple stances? 

Why would you have 2/3 of a weapons builds tuned for the same faction? Then you'd just be resetting the builds constantly for each faction.

It doesn't provide any real benefit.

And you say Ferrite and Alloy armor, you COULD just bring a radiation/ viral primary (Which is good against ALL grineer btw) and a corrosive/ explosive secondary. That's the point of having two guns.

When even more enemies that adapt to damage types get added into the game, being able to swap between three sets of dual damage types would be a lot more useful. Sure, right now it seems less stellar, but I still see good possibilities behind it and it's not even my idea. Of course, that doesn't play into weapons that have good status chance AND crit chance, where you may have (just as examples) a crit-based build and a status proc based build, both of which could be considered "geared towards" different types of enemies within a faction (one more utility based and one more damage based).

I don't know, I still like it.

I like the idea. Upvoted this the other day, but haven't had time to comment.

My overall advice would be to find a way to make your 'frame more useful to all levels, and in various game modes.

So, his kit:

1: I do like the idea, but consider that several players use different elemental loadouts across their full arsenal (primary, secondary, melee). This would be less helpful to them, and less helpful to more advanced players whose weapons are powerful no matter the loadout. Secondly, it doesn't account for auras and warframe powers. This would wind up being more situational for lower level players, and more advanced players would outlevel its usefulness.

If there isn't a way to make this scale with level (player and enemy), consider changing it.

2: Again, after we hit a certain level, running out of ammo very, very, rarely happens. Initially, this would be great for beginners, but afterwards, it becomes less useful. On those rare occasions when I do run out of ammo, I have ammo restores in my loadout. 

3: I like having a close quarters ability, but I don't understand how taking damage (meaning enemies have seen him and are attacking him) opens them up to finisher damage. Finisher damage usually is set aside for stealthy abilities, or for kills after enemies are visually impaired. I also don't know why it procs a knockdown.

4: I understand it, and it does fit in with other Exalted energy weapons, but the Braton and Karak won't appeal to most players as they aren't powerful enough, while the Boltor and Tonkor will seem overpowered. 

Think about ways to make your 'frame's utility shine, more useful as player and enemy level advances.

I think there is plenty of room for a soldier concept, obviously, but you have to find a way to marry the soldier theme to Warframe. Yes, there is definite resistance to soldier/traditional military concepts and themes for valid and invalid reasons, but it's there all the same. 

That doesn't mean they can't work. It only means you have to make it unique, and make it work. (Which is what some have told you in this thread.)

How about a boosting strafe system as one of the abilities? It would need a very low energy requirement to be useful though. Other games have done similar abilities such as the Hunter in Destiny TTK and the dodge boost in more recent Halo titles. As for the 4th ability why not a unique weapon to the Warframe instead of a Karak, Braton,or Dera? Perhaps he could be a very Corpus-like design as they have some similar weapondry.

Edited by (XB1)NightValdiez117

How about a boosting strafe system as one of the abilities? It would need a very low energy requirement to be useful though. Other games have done similar abilities such as the Hunter in Destiny TTK and the dodge boost in more recent Halo titles. As for the 4th ability why not a unique weapon to the Warframe instead of a Karak, Braton,or Dera? Perhaps he could be a very Corpus-like design as they have some similar weapondry.

Has Parkour 2.0 not been introduced to XB1?

Also, why would a Warframe summon a Corpus weapon? That doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Rehtael7

You're getting confused. My apologies. Parkor 2.0 is excellent for moving around long distances quickly. The boosts are designed for short very quick bursts of movement in a specific direction to avoid enemy fire, boost to cover, or that extra pep to reach a ledge. As for the weapon I suggested the Warframe itself could have Corpus design influence not the weapon. The weapon would be unique like Ivara's bow.

Edited by (XB1)NightValdiez117

You're getting confused. My apologies. Parkor 2.0 is excellent for moving around long distances quickly. The boosts are designed for short very quick bursts of movement in a specific direction to avoid enemy fire, boost to cover, or that extra pep to reach a ledge. As for the weapon I suggested the Warframe itself could have Corpus design influence not the weapon. The weapon would be unique like Ivara's bow.

Yeah, you say boosts, but we have bullet jumps and rolls for that.

And that doesn't work for lore reasons.

Ah really? Could you elaborate on the lore aspect? I seem to be missing vital information. I'm curious. Moving away from the boosting aspect what about the Corpus themed design? Surely that could be fitted in using Alad V's experiments as an explanation.

The warframes were crafted before the existence of Corpus, and Alad V's experimentation on the Valkyr frame is something of an anomaly. The only real explanation is that Alad V recovered the ONE AND ONLY surviving Valkyr frame, before it was recovered by Lotus and mass reproduced. Why was it reproduced with the Corpus tech? Because Gersemi Valkyr breaks lore. So if we were to assume that Gersemi Valkyr is the way she SHOULD have been mass reproduced, then assume that the existing Valkyr is what lotus made in the mean time, that make the most sense.