Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Context

ReiganCross

Y'know... I was here thinking bout what i was truly missing in this game. (Because offcurse i was thinking of what's missing, who cares about what we have, right? ¬¬) Here's a conclusion i arrived to.

Aren't the new inovations new ways to do old things? Aren't we still killing the same guys for the same inexplained reasons? We're missing the context of the whole fight, fighting only for the fight itself. Every Tenno here is shoehorned into a war he doesn't know and told to kill stuff he sometimes just want to talk with!

Wouldn't this game be much better if we had an actual real profound story behind it? I'v seen completely shallow game such as Ragnarok Online and Scarlet Blade do storylines better then what we have here. Sure, those examples are stupid, but at least it's there! I don't want to kill the Grineer just because they're grineer anymore. I want to kill the Grineer because they're attacking inocent people! I want to kill the Corpus because they stand for corrupt corporations that opress it's very own soldiership. I want to kill the infested because they're threatening the galaxy! And not just that, i want to be more then a killing machine! I want to talk and convince a corpus CEO to lend and underhanded help to the Tenno cause. I want to instigate a Rebellion within the Grineer ranks! I want to research the true cause of the infection and develop a way to save people from the infection!

The way i see the development of this game i just see mindless killing, we're just shooting stuff and doing errands for a voice we might not even like! And they're just adding gimmicks to that, new maps, new weapons, new warframes... This can go so much further then just that!

I'm pretty sure that this ammount of text will get me no attention at all from DE, maybe not even the comunity, but at least i managed to share this with you guys.

Love you DE, please keep those pointers in mind.

Hopefully more lore comes along soon, but I'd place the gameplay at a higher priority at the moment

You can't just slap more text into the gameplay and make it more meaningful. You have to incorporate the lore into the gameplay if you want an actual lore experience to happen. If you don't you end up with stuff like old WoW stuff that you just skip over all the text and have no real idea of what you're doing anyways, even if there is actually a ton of context given.

What you're talking about sounds like it would take Huge resources for minimal gain. 99+% of players have zero issue with the amount of backstory we have (it's out there, if you look).There are Dozens of games with excellent stories (not that WF's isn't) and are presented in very cinematic fashions. I'd rather the devs continue whats going good, rather than divert huge teams to something that may be a total failure.

Edit: Not to mention that with its minimalist framework, you can fill in the blanks. Let ME3's indoctrination theory stand as an example: The players know much better for games than the devs. At least where story is concerned.

Edited by Rakuall

I agree with Reigan, and I'd like to stress the point that what we want isn't just some background info somewhere. It's gotta be a true part of the game.

I'm also hoping for expansions to the gameplay - some open world areas with vehicles(space flight?), new game modes, some zero-g areas would be nice..

You can't just slap more text into the gameplay and make it more meaningful. You have to incorporate the lore into the gameplay if you want an actual lore experience to happen. If you don't you end up with stuff like old WoW stuff that you just skip over all the text and have no real idea of what you're doing anyways, even if there is actually a ton of context given.

It's not my fault if you're too lazy to read and want story handed to you on a platter. You can have great lore presented in such a way that it's there if you're willing to look, but doesn't get in the way of the game. Dark Souls is the perfect example. All of its lore comes from item descriptions, locations and vague npc dialogue, yet it manages to present an interesting and varied fantasy world. You're given no quest markers, and instead you're led through the world via good level design.

I think a similar system would work well here: item descriptions and dialogue with Lotus and bosses give us an idea of what the world's like, while the actual plot points are saved for several bosses. Optionally, they could add a system like the datapads in halo to tell us even more. We need more background and story, yes, but we don't need a "cinematic" experience shoved into our face.

It's not my fault if you're too lazy to read and want story handed to you on a platter. You can have great lore presented in such a way that it's there if you're willing to look, but doesn't get in the way of the game. Dark Souls is the perfect example. All of its lore comes from item descriptions, locations and vague npc dialogue, yet it manages to present an interesting and varied fantasy world. You're given no quest markers, and instead you're led through the world via good level design.

I think a similar system would work well here: item descriptions and dialogue with Lotus and bosses give us an idea of what the world's like, while the actual plot points are saved for several bosses. Optionally, they could add a system like the datapads in halo to tell us even more. We need more background and story, yes, but we don't need a "cinematic" experience shoved into our face.

Well, you seem to be misunderstanding.. Do i want cutscenes? No, by their very definitions, cutscenes cut the gameplay itself and i truly believe it is not the way of telling a story trough gameplay. You want a good example of a story told while you played the game in complete immersion? Bastion. Bastion have a storytelling engine of nothing more then a narrator coded to trigger specific dialog in specific locations. Nothing more was needed, you played the whole thing, start to finish, without ever losing control of the game.

But that doesn't mean just a bunch of text on the background that we'll just skip anyways. You can't just tell me that i'm saving a bunch of people without me never even SEEING such people that you just told me i saved, i have to see the people for myself! You can't just tell me "redirecting this ship will set it's course into the sun and obliterate it" and then have me spend 30min killing the same infinite waves of enemies as if nothing happened! Just saying your story into text will help, but it won't be substantial if you do not integrate it into the game. I'm not asking for cutscenes, i'm asking for context set into the gameplay! Have the planets have a story arc instead of just a bunch of discombulated missions that ultimately culminates into a boss fight that ends up being meaningless anyways!

But that doesn't mean just a bunch of text on the background that we'll just skip anyways. You can't just tell me that i'm saving a bunch of people without me never even SEEING such people that you just told me i saved, i have to see the people for myself! You can't just tell me "redirecting this ship will set it's course into the sun and obliterate it" and then have me spend 30min killing the same infinite waves of enemies as if nothing happened! Just saying your story into text will help, but it won't be substantial if you do not integrate it into the game. I'm not asking for cutscenes, i'm asking for context set into the gameplay! Have the planets have a story arc instead of just a bunch of discombulated missions that ultimately culminates into a boss fight that ends up being meaningless anyways!

First, don't assume we'll skip text, because that's up to the individual. I'm the kind of person that reads everything, but if people would rather get to gameplay that's their choice.

Second, I see what you're saying now and I agree.

First, don't assume we'll skip text, because that's up to the individual. I'm the kind of person that reads everything, but if people would rather get to gameplay that's their choice.

Second, I see what you're saying now and I agree.

I am indeed wrong in assuming that people will just skip text in the game, especially if they manage to make the text appealing. I guess that's just my experience with WoW and i apoligize for the assumption.